Mexico For Dummies.....

I love it down there in Mexico. The bad rap with the news etc. is just the same as up here if you really stop to think about it. How many tourists stopped coming to Vancouver when the gang wars were going on? I would say it's about the same in all reality. The news blows things out of proportion.

John

I do not think it is blown out of proportion at all. Here is a list of all the Mexican politicians, men and women, murdered in the drug wars, since 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_politicians_killed_in_the_Mexican_Drug_War

This list does not include hundreds of politicians and civilian bystanders. It is preposterous to say it is the same as here!! Mexico is basically a dangerous war zone and most tourists never see it as they fly down to a resort, never leave the resort and fly home. The violence even spills over the border. The border down here in Arizona is patrolled full time by hundreds of police and border guards and there are checkpoints everywhere.

There is a very sad memorial to an U.S. Park Ranger gunned down in Organ Pipe Cactus NP (which abuts the border) in 2002 by drug runners. I would NEVER travel to Mexico.

I will never convince people or even try to who say they will never travel to Mexico to come! I live in Los Barriles 5-6 months of the year and drive by car up the transpennisular hiway twice a year. It is true that the border areas have lots of crime and a criminal element. I avoid them like the plague. I never stop within 200 miles of the border. I should add that I am very careful on the american side of the border as well. It takes 2 sides for the drug deals -mexican and american so don't think the trouble is only on the mex. side. Risky behaviour is bad business down here as it is anywhere. I have seen tourists do things down here they would never do at home and when they get in trouble either with the authorities or the locals-the fault always is seen as somebody elses never theirs. If you are uncomfortable -don't come It's that simple!! Stay away from Known crime areas. Don't use behaviors you wouldn't use at home. Be respectful,don't flash money around. I feel comfortable-but then I live in BAJA which is really a different kettle of fish. LOL

I do not think it is blown out of proportion at all. Here is a list of all the Mexican politicians, men and women, murdered in the drug wars, since 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_politicians_killed_in_the_Mexican_Drug_War

This list does not include hundreds of politicians and civilian bystanders. It is preposterous to say it is the same as here!! Mexico is basically a dangerous war zone and most tourists never see it as they fly down to a resort, never leave the resort and fly home. The violence even spills over the border. The border down here in Arizona is patrolled full time by hundreds of police and border guards and there are checkpoints everywhere.

There is a very sad memorial to an U.S. Park Ranger gunned down in Organ Pipe Cactus NP (which abuts the border) in 2002 by drug runners. I would NEVER travel to Mexico.

Your choice.

More room for the rest of us I guess:).

That's right! A little fear mongering is great for us!

Kinda reminds me of that cartoon video about the misconceptions down there.
Springfever hit the nail on the head, i too will be in Baja for 4 - 6 months a winter without hesitation or fear.

Your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your choice.

Glad you guys are so up, happy and gung ho. Personally, when I read this story of just one of the dozens of politicians on that list I posted I feel sad for her kids, sad for Mexico and sickened by some elements of society, which Mexico has in abundance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/María_Santos_Gorrostieta_Salazar

Even more sadly, you have probably never even heard of her....yet she was an incredibly brave women who actually tried to do something.

I think your barking up the wrong tree........

http://www.panama-guide.com/article.php/20100219041920567

How about this guy.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Noriega

Yup....no cartel's in Panama. LOL!!!!!

Noriega? Ya he's been gone for a long time amigo. Comparing the political and criminal situation in Panama vs. Mexico is silly - Mexico is a failed state and getting worse every year. That being said I don't think its unsafe for the average tourist, I've just had much more interesting and rewarding experiences further south in Central & South America. That's just my opinion, I don't dislike Mexico but its unlikely I'll go back anytime soon.

Noriega? Ya he's been gone for a long time amigo. Comparing the political and criminal situation in Panama vs. Mexico is silly - Mexico is a failed state and getting worse every year. That being said I don't think its unsafe for the average tourist, I've just had much more interesting and rewarding experiences further south in Central & South America. That's just my opinion, I don't dislike Mexico but its unlikely I'll go back anytime soon.

Ok so it was a bad example lol.

I would love to fish in Panama some day. Guatemala and Costa Rica as well!!!

I was in Mazatlan once in 1984.
And I went to Juarez once in 1985.

Those times were different it seems.
You couldn't go to Senor Frog's in Mazatlan and get out of there without being hammered.
Ditto for most of the discos there at that time.
But I was told to stay off the beach at night....and also don't go to a certain area in Mazatlan at night regardless of warped or sober.
Locals selling condos on the street seemed to be the biggest pain in the butt. Pretty aggressive.
At the time I noticed lots of Caucasians on the beaches and remarked about it to someone.
They told me " oh...those aren't white people.....they are Mexicans here because it is a national holiday."
Many of them you can't tell if they are tourists from up north or not. So you wouldn't know whether to avoid them or not.
That said, at that time I never had any big problem there except for when I came down with Montezuma's Revenge
about 4 days in..although I was extremely judicious as to what I ate and drank and where I bought it.

That's something I don't want to go through again anytime soon........had a really bad case, lasted about 3 days.

Was only in Juarez for dinner......at that time it was a nice quiet little place.
You can get there easy from El Paso by just driving across the bridge.
Nothing bad happened......then.

But...that was then...and this is now.

Wetbacks is a very derogatory term, just sayin

My opinion is that for the most part the Mexican people are kind and generous

You're a cool guy. Good call though, absolutely no Mexicans in San Diego. Racists and dumb, super combo.

X2 All the Mexican people I have come across in the 45 years I have been travelling to and from Mexico have been kind, generous, intelligent and very good fishing guides.

X2 All the Mexican people I have come across in the 45 years I have been travelling to and from Mexico have been kind, generous, intelligent and very good fishing guides.
Agree, have met many mexicans in San Diego.

When I was down there in the 80's I found just about everybody to be likeable.
Most that I came into contact with were pretty friendly.

Actually my hat's off to the normal good folk who live down there. Considering the s**t they have to put up with on a daily basis as far as drug wars, cartels, corrupt cops and politicians, it's a wonder they remain as nice as they are.

Their drug wars down there (and the aftermaths) make ours in Vancouver look like a girly pillow fight.

Glad you guys are so up, happy and gung ho. Personally, when I read this story of just one of the dozens of politicians on that list I posted I feel sad for her kids, sad for Mexico and sickened by some elements of society, which Mexico has in abundance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/María_Santos_Gorrostieta_Salazar

Even more sadly, you have probably never even heard of her....yet she was an incredibly brave women who actually tried to do something.

Yeah, BC is so much safer

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Sho...+through+Abbotsford+Friday/8143489/story.html

Back