Mercury Kicker Question?

Far from nice water conditions and trolls no problem fish out of prince Rupert 90-120 days a year I’ve had days when it’s blowing 25-35 going into the wind and bucking the tide where I can’t quite get the speed I’m looking for but I can count those days on one hand.
Could it use more.. absolutely, does it need it? No it’s completely fine boat is a 31x 10.5 northwest
don't make me cc Stizzla on this! ;-)

lakes? or in tides and current?
Both. Had it out to Ukee for a stint. I was quite surprised at how easily it handled the boat. Those boats sit high with a lot of sail and the kicker manoeuvred it with ease in tides and good winds.

Are you in perfect water conditions? I certainly wouldn't recommend something that small for a boat as big or heavy as yours.
For years the 9.9 yam was the standard in the charter fleet. They work great most of the time. Weather comes up and occasionally your stuck running a main. Not the end of the world. They worked even better a decade plus ago when they were the big block 9.9 (that motor was all around better and had way less carb issues).

don't make me cc Stizzla on this! ;-)
Lol like I said my next boat will have twin 25’s for kickers but the 9.9 is more then sufficient
This one might get the same thing one day ( hoping to be able to troll for tuna off them)
Also to stir the pot a little bit twin kickers will give me twice the control and ability to steer and I think everyone should have them! 😊

For years the 9.9 yam was the standard in the charter fleet. They work great most of the time. Weather comes up and occasionally your stuck running a main. Not the end of the world. They worked even better a decade plus ago when they were the big block 9.9 (that motor was all around better and had way less carb issues).
Once you go injected, the easy starts and the consistent running mixed with the quiet, it's unbeatable for a small engine

Once you go injected, the easy starts and the consistent running mixed with the quiet, it's unbeatable for a small engine
Yeah the endless idle circuit issues is what drove the Ukee fleet nuts with the yam. We mostly fled to the injected Suzuki. I then moved to the Merc 15 which is an improvement over the zuki in my books (yeah I know it's built by tohatsu). Will be hanging the 500cc Merc in March.

I had a yammy 9.9 on one of my boats years ago. Think maybe 2016 ish. It was the loudest little thing. Sometimes I'd just start the 250 because I couldnt take the pitch on inside fishing days. Still sent it though

Back