Mercury Kicker Question?

Hi can someone help me understand the difference between a 9.9 ProKicker Command Thrust and a 15 ProKicker, which motor has more torque? Which would be best suited for, say, a 7000lbs vessel for trolling?

Regards, Thank you
I have a 2022 9.9 EFI Prokicker which is no different than the 15hp EFI Prockicker.

If you go to the Mercury website they are the same displacement, same alternator etc. This was not always the case. My 9.9 has a restrictor installed just behind the throttle body. Funny enough the owner operator's manual says in bold letters if you remove the restrictor the engine will throw a code!

I really like my EFI Prockicker, it is really quite, has great slow speed control, pushes my boat along just dandy, uses an insanely tiny amount of fuel and starts first turn of the key even the cold (thank you fuel injection).

Some things that I do not like about my Prokicker is that I cannot hook my smartcraft goodies up to it even though it uses the same 14 pin CAN bus plug. The ECU logged engine hours are a mystery until you get a tech to hook the laptop up.

The only other thought I would have with a much larger boat is the the new 25hp prokicker which is smart craft compatible and you can hook vessel view mobile or your vessel view to it. The big one is that you would be able to use the VV troll control as well!

Good Luck

From Merc’s web site.

Attachments

• F5A20079-BB54-4979-BB69-2F56B6729E56.png
    F5A20079-BB54-4979-BB69-2F56B6729E56.png
    557.1 KB · Views: 51
From Merc’s web site.
That is Correct!
The newer model 9.9, 15 and 20 (Tohatsu) are the same powerhead with a different fuel map and restrictors behind the throttle body.

The 25hp is a completely different animal!

They are all Tohatsu with Mercury’s proprietary paint and corrosion treatment processes and cooler trim! And I bought Mercury because I appreciate the service I get from APM here on the island.

Now I am not saying on this post to buy a 9.9 instead of a 15hp especially on a 7000lbs boat but I am saying my late model 9.9 EFI and charging output is the same as the 15hp

Thanks for the posting pics Walleyes!

Attachments

• DECBF797-0E30-40C3-B3CE-01C38016A1BA.png
    DECBF797-0E30-40C3-B3CE-01C38016A1BA.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 8C617260-382B-45C7-83E5-F64364B7EE21.png
    8C617260-382B-45C7-83E5-F64364B7EE21.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Now I am not saying to buy a 9.9 instead of a 15hp especially on a 7000lbs boat but I am saying my late model 9.9 EFI and charging output is the same as the 15hp

Out
Doesn’t that chart Walleyes posted also show that the 9.9 EFI and the 15 EFI both have the same charging output?

I had a 15 h.p. kicker on my 7000 pound Sea Ray. It was barely okay. I would now go 20 or 25 h.p. for the rough days. 9.9 is great for a boat half that weight. Don't even think about it for a much bigger boat!

This may seem like a dumb question. If the motors are all essentially the same just different restrictors why wouldn’t most everyone just go with the 20hp?

Last edited:
This may seem like a dumb question. If the motors are all essentially the same just different restrictors why wouldn’t most everyone just go with the 20hp?
The current EFI offerings in the Prokicker flavours are 9.9, 15 and 25 ( the 20hp offering is a Tohatsu branded motor and the 25hp is a very different powerhead) and they do have different fuel maps according to the online propaganda. I went 9.9 EFI because there was deal available at the time and I don’t need anything more than that. Also, (this could fall into a heavy debate that I’m not interested in) detuned engines seem to have more longevity but we both know there is a lot of external factors.
My barge is 3600lbs and at WOT water conditions dependant I can do 6kts.

Honestly that's a great question and I always tell people, for an extra 400 bucks you can get home 2 mph faster if you end up with boat problems. I rarely sell 15hp engines.

The current EFI offerings in the Prokicker flavours are 9.9, 15 and 25 ( the 20hp offering is a Tohatsu branded motor and the 25hp is a very different powerhead) and they do have different fuel maps according to the online propaganda. I went 9.9 EFI because there was deal available at the time and I don’t need anything more than that. Also, (this could fall into a heavy debate that I’m not interested in) detuned engines seem to have more longevity but we both know there is a lot of external factors.
My barge is 3600lbs and at WOT water conditions dependant I can do 6kts.
All the merc engines 30 and below are tohatsu engines. The 9.9 15 and 20 are the same. The new 25 and 30 D models are 3 cylinder. Bigger gearcase, bigger charging circuit and they start at 127 lbs. They don't offer a 25inch model however you can get the extension kit. I'd say it's a 150 lb motor when all said and done.

15 or 20, a 7000 lb. boat will laugh at a 9.9 kicker in strong tides, current, Sand Heads etc.
Surprisingly, my 9.9 kickerpro keeps me moving in my 7000lb boat. Keeping the rigger cable angle at 45deg becomes an issue way before engine power.

Surprisingly, my 9.9 kickerpro keeps me moving in my 7000lb boat. Keeping the rigger cable angle at 45deg becomes an issue way before engine power.
My boats around 11,000 and a 9.9 moves it for trolling no problem Yamaha 9.9
However on my next boat I’m probably going to go twin 25’s

My boats around 11,000 and a 9.9 moves it for trolling no problem Yamaha 9.9
However on my next boat I’m probably going to go twin 25’s
Are you in perfect water conditions? I certainly wouldn't recommend something that small for a boat as big or heavy as yours.

Had a yammy 9.9 on my 26.5’ Wellcraft that kicker handled that boat with ease.

Are you in perfect water conditions? I certainly wouldn't recommend something that small for a boat as big or heavy as yours.
Far from nice water conditions and trolls no problem fish out of prince Rupert 90-120 days a year I’ve had days when it’s blowing 25-35 going into the wind and bucking the tide where I can’t quite get the speed I’m looking for but I can count those days on one hand.
Could it use more.. absolutely, does it need it? No it’s completely fine boat is a 31x 10.5 northwest

Back