Merc vessel view 403

Wooly

Ok Merc ppl,

if I throw my 403 into my NMEA network and bring my engine data up on my Lowrance live, will I get real time MPG? As far as I can tell I do not get MPG on my vessel view as it stands as it won’t have speed over ground until it networks up to a gps. I’m hoping once it’s all networked into my electronics I will get this Data. Can anyone confirm? Will call Merc on Monday if I can’t figure it out. Cheers!

Kevin

You should be able to have it on your vesselview and your lowrance hds live. I have the vesselview 5 and had it displayed on it as well as my hds live. You should have MPG , GPH And DTE. Don’t forget to program your fuel tank size etc

NMEA has all the data available, you just need to select the appropriate data sources; ie your Lowrance for GPS signal and the Merc engine and fuel flow data. If your sonar transducer has water temp sensor, you need to find and select that so it appears on Lowrance where needed.

Yes, connecting it to your NMEA 2K network will allow you to get fuel consumption on your Lowrance. You should also be able to send the speed data to your Vesselview and configure it to show speed and MPG, although the manual is a little unclear. From page 29 of the VV403 owner's manual:

---

Fuel
The VesselView Fuel screen displays the total fuel based on the current tank data entered in the tank configuration through the tanks menu or the setup wizard. The lower portion of the screen will show the fuel flow, or fuel consumption in volume per hour. The volume will be dependent on the units of measure that was selected during the setup wizard process. Units of measure can be changed at any time by navigating to Menu>Settings>Preferences>Units

---
So not 100% clear if you can show MPG on your VV403, but worthing giving a try. Regardless, your Lowrance will be able to display that info.

Note that there are two ways for the VV to show your remaining fuel: 1) based on the reading from the sender in the fuel tank, or 2) based on fuel consumed as calculated by the engines CPU. There are pros and cons to each. Both will require you to enter your fuel tank size. 1) requires you to calibrate the tank, which involves starting with an empty tank and entering into the VV when as you fill up at 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. It will still be an estimate though and things like how your boat is sitting will affect the reading. The advantage is that once you set it up you don't have to do anything else.

Option 2 will give you a more accurate reading for how much fuel is in your tank, but will require you enter into the system whenever you add fuel to your tank, but that is pretty straighforward. I use this method, partly because I didn't have the ability to completely drain both fuel tanks when I repowered in order to calibrate for Option 1, but mainly because I prefer having a more accurate readout of my remaining fuel.

Yes, connecting it to your NMEA 2K network will allow you to get fuel consumption on your Lowrance. You should also be able to send the speed data to your Vesselview and configure it to show speed and MPG, although the manual is a little unclear. From page 29 of the VV403 owner's manual:

---

Fuel
The VesselView Fuel screen displays the total fuel based on the current tank data entered in the tank configuration through the tanks menu or the setup wizard. The lower portion of the screen will show the fuel flow, or fuel consumption in volume per hour. The volume will be dependent on the units of measure that was selected during the setup wizard process. Units of measure can be changed at any time by navigating to Menu>Settings>Preferences>Units

---
So not 100% clear if you can show MPG on your VV403, but worthing giving a try. Regardless, your Lowrance will be able to display that info.

Note that there are two ways for the VV to show your remaining fuel: 1) based on the reading from the sender in the fuel tank, or 2) based on fuel consumed as calculated by the engines CPU. There are pros and cons to each. Both will require you to enter your fuel tank size. 1) requires you to calibrate the tank, which involves starting with an empty tank and entering into the VV when as you fill up at 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. It will still be an estimate though and things like how your boat is sitting will affect the reading. The advantage is that once you set it up you don't have to do anything else.

Option 2 will give you a more accurate reading for how much fuel is in your tank, but will require you enter into the system whenever you add fuel to your tank, but that is pretty straighforward. I use this method, partly because I didn't have the ability to completely drain both fuel tanks when I repowered in order to calibrate for Option 1, but mainly because I prefer having a more accurate readout of my remaining fuel.
Awesome great info thank you sir!

Back