Meet Motley

Thats ******, but good to know the kicker works. I bet its something simple. What year is the main?

Any day you don’t lose a cannon ball is a good day. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

Hook the main up to an auxiliary gas tank and line to confirm that it’s not a fuel supply issue. Maybe the fuel line is collapsing. Maybe not venting enough.

Hmm.
02 with under 700 hours
Mine is 2005 mercury 115, but in this year, mercury used yamaha powerheads. I had a similar problem with mine a few years ago at about 500 hours. I would start climbing the Rpms and then all of a sudden it would drop down to just above idle. I would turn off, restart the motor and it would be back to normal for 5 or 10 mins.......or longer sometimes .........then go back to the rpm drop. After going through everything, all the fuel filters, water, injectors........ it turned out to be the filter attached to the bottom of the high pressure fuel pump located in the fuel bowl. Only ****** thing was that the fuel bowl was located behind the manifold. I ended up doing it myself and only took a few hours.
Its part number 8 on this diagram. Pretty sure you have the same powerhead.

Screenshot_20200813-182040_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
pull the plugs and post the pics...make note of which plug came out of which cylinder. Is there a breather vent on the fuel tank? Kickers can run forever on the fuel in the line. Does it still run now (the kicker)?
Th kicker started and ran well in the driveway.
I’m not going to tinker with this one, I’m going to let my mechanic get it back on track. Thanks though!

Th kicker started and ran well in the driveway.
I’m not going to tinker with this one, I’m going to let my mechanic get it back on track. Thanks though!

Sounds good, it for sure sounds like fuel supply with diminished pressure. This this thing sit for a long while before you picked it up? Hope he can knock it off fast for ya!!

Sounds good, it for sure sounds like fuel supply with diminished pressure. This this thing sit for a long while before you picked it up? Hope he can knock it off fast for ya!!
Definitely not used much over the last couple of years. I’ll feel better once Chris looks it over and deals with a few little odds and ends to get it running tip top.

We’ve had too much crappy weather and westerly winds this summer. Let’s hope they change the wind pattern after Sep 1st.

Agree with ab1752. Sounds like a minor fuel supply issue. You’ll be back on the water soon. Just make sure you stock pile on downrigger balls and blue flashers... :)

O man, sorry to hear of this little setback, was looking forward to the main voyage sit-rep as I am catching up on this thread. I'm sure it's nothing major as the boat looks well cared for. You will be up and running in to time, God speed!...lol :p

I see you have lots of room for me to store the 26'er @ your place :cool: it will increase your property value...

So, with the help of my guardian angel AKA @noluck I have the motor running in the driveway!
Culprit is water in the gas tank. He patiently helped lead me through part by part of the fuel system and I learned a lot. Plus as an added bonus I smell like gas now. I guess the next step is to drain full tank (35 gallons) and run some fresh fuel.
Anyone in the sidney area know where I should go for that?

Back