McDonald Park in Richmond considered salt water ?

zurk

Is McDonald park just off the airport considered salt water or fresh water ? i only have a salt water license.

So, if its an outgoing tide is the water less salty? Would you still need to wash down? I've gone out from Captain's Cove a few times but always wash down. Just curious about McDonald as have never launched there.

So, if its an outgoing tide is the water less salty? Would you still need to wash down? I've gone out from Captain's Cove a few times but always wash down. Just curious about McDonald as have never launched there.
The water there would be brackish I would think, but I have never tasted it! I think it would be a mix of salt and fresh water. On low tide the fresh river water flushes the salty water downstream, but during incoming tide the rising tide from the ocean will push some salty water upstream. There is no working wash down station at the launch. I would wash down when you get home just to be safe.

Fresh water floats on salt water, you are fine at McDonald Beach.
Do not drink Fraser River water. Hell, swimming in it is risky enough.

Fresh water is less dense than salt and will generally "float" until they mix as the salinity changes in the fresh water

Back