Marina ice????/

Does anyone have any experience with boats being iced in at the marina. Will the ice damage the fiberglass hull? Our ice probably isn't thick enough to walk on yet but getting close. I havn't seen it this thick in three years in the same slip. This is the first time I havn't been able to get the boat out. So here's my wine "I wanna go Fishing".:(

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

quote:Originally posted by Gone Fishen

Does anyone have any experience with boats being iced in at the marina. Will the ice damage the fiberglass hull? Our ice probably isn't thick enough to walk on yet but getting close. I havn't seen it this thick in three years in the same slip. This is the first time I havn't been able to get the boat out. So here's my wine "I wanna go Fishing".:(

I runbled through some 2 inch stuff that was thick enough to hold a brick of anchovies 6x6x10" when I dumped it overboard. Seemed to go forward ok, backing up was a bit of a chore.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

yes, of course, ice can damage any boat. if it is thick enough to encase your hull and spreads as a solid sheet, as it expands its going to put tons of pressure on your hull. running a fiberglass boat through ice is going to do some pretty good damage to the hull. even my old aluminum boat was scared up from ice pushing. i would be thinking about going down to the marina and trying to break that ice next to your boat while you have a chance.

quote:Originally posted by reelfast

yes, of course, ice can damage any boat. if it is thick enough to encase your hull and spreads as a solid sheet, as it expands its going to put tons of pressure on your hull. running a fiberglass boat through ice is going to do some pretty good damage to the hull. even my old aluminum boat was scared up from ice pushing. i would be thinking about going down to the marina and trying to break that ice next to your boat while you have a chance.
Sounds about right to me. Was thinkin along the same lines but never been there or done that. Thanx reelfast for your thoughts. Headen down to the marina with a big stick right now. Gotta love it,
Merry Ho Ho & lotsa fish new year to you and everybody out there.

It's been my experience that you're in less danger from your boat sitting in the ice than if you're actually trying to run your boat through the ice. If you think about the ice breaking up and rubbing against the forward part of the hull at a constant level, it's going to do some damage. If you do it enough it will be more than cosmetic. I did that to my dad's boat (thick 70's built fiberglass hull)many years ago when I was out on New Year's day. [B)] He was not a happy camper, and I don't blame him.(even after I tried to ease the pain by giving him some winter springs!) I'm older and a little wiser now.
T2

No Rigours

quote:Originally posted by Slay Belle

Hitting ice with a prop will damage it too...

Silver Sun Charters
Prince Rupert B.C.
www.silversuncharters.com

If you are hitting ice with your prop - stay home... just stay home and put another log on the fire. :D

I've broken ice coming out of Westview Marina in Tahsis a couple of times. It was pretty thin and I was going dead slow. No problem. Sure sounds strange as it breaks up though.

I am amazed at how easily it freezes here, just a day or so at 32F and there is ice. I thought that there would be enough heat in the deep water to keep it from freezing until it got much colder for much longer.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Back