Many people release the big halis?

Longlines target everything, so why shouldn't we?

Dont take this personal... ITs not .....

Because 2 wrongs dont make a right?

Again, This thinking IMO is brutal. The total TAC is getting smaller and smaller. At some point we may not be able to fish them. But hey at least we showed them!!

I agree, but I need to vent. I have worked and paid income taxes for years, and now that I get a chance to fish, I find that the government that I faithfully paid taxes to has double crossed me, raped me and generally f*&#d me over and gave to some rich fat cat a quota of fish that belongs to the regular guy. And closes the season on me.

Dont take this personal... ITs not .....

Because 2 wrongs dont make a right?

Again, This thinking IMO is brutal. The total TAC is getting smaller and smaller. At some point we may not be able to fish them. But hey at least we showed them!!

Like several has said above, legally us rec's are allowed to keep any size hali so if you're into keeping hogs that's perfectly within your legal right. However, if we are going to create a sustainable fishery in our province I personally believe that our collective mentality needs to be towards conservation, at to me that includes releasing all large spawners (salmon, cod, hali, etc) so they can do their thing. Imagine if every single voter in this province had the mentality of conservation and actually voted based on that one issue alone. If MP's knew that the only way they would get elected is by supporting a sustainable fishery then we'd stand a much better chance of that actually happening. Far-fetched thinking I know but one thing I do know is that if everyone adopted the mentality of keeping all hogs and/or undersized we'd stand less of a chance.

The extremely frustrating part of this is obviously the fact that we rec's are having to lead by example while we watch other parties continue to pillage our communal resources. That said, I still believe the only way to have a long-term prosperous fishery is to do what we all know is right and make it known to elected officials and the voting public that this is something important to us.

Longlines target everything, so why shouldn't we?

well put tincan,, my outlook has been one personal trophy hali per year= over 70 lbs=family food....- customers get educated and guilted a lil.. but it is their right. most have either never caught one or consider any hali a great fish for takin home and eating...

For what it's worth ... the Int'l Pacific Halibut Commission scientists say harvest of large halibut is not an issue - lots of baby halibut being produced out there but the problem is very few seem to be making it to the older age/size classes. Many theories for this - ocean productivity and explosion in the arrow tooth flounder pop'n being two of them. SE Alaska used to have a max size limit for their charter operations but, based on the IPHC science, have abandoned it and gone with a slot exclusion - no fish between something like 45cm and 68cm may be retained. Can check all this out from the IPHC web page (www.iphc.int), which has great summaries in layman language as well as links to Alaska's sport and commie info (for interests sake - Alaskan "do-it ur-self" recs get 2/day 4 possess all season, charters get approx 35% of quota and commies the remainder).

I set free the large ones loose simply from a fillet size pref - too much processing to get a size that cooks well with the bigger ones.

I know it is a little off topic but right now there is a mayjor live lingcod trawl fishery happening on the west coast V.I. The meager sport harvest is closed durring this time of year to protect them durring spawning! The trawlers are fishing for thier bycatch quota and that allows them to target. How f#$%ed up is that eh?
My point is that dfo-our fisheries and the whole world for that mater is all f@#$ed up! I'm just one of the bent over taxpayers trying to keep my head afloat while living a good life. I and my guests usually keep whatever fish that the ocean gives us and is legal. We might as well before it is all allocated away to somebody else. If a guy is only allowed one halli than why not make it one with some dam meat on the thing. Big halibut released from my vessel will only swim over to the native longliners hook who fish anualy here with no limit. Keeping trophy halibut has no negative affect on my concience in fact it kinda makes me feel a little warm inside.

Welcome to the forum UkeeDreamin. I am by no means an experienced hali fisherman as I grew up near Vancouver so not a lot around here. I do at least 1 trip to WCVI and 1 up north (central coast/haida gwaii) each year so do get a little hali fishing in. Anyways, I do enjoy reading all legit science on the issue of fisheries as I think education is the first step to solving a lot of the issues we are facing as fishermen. I really appreciate all those guides out there who do their best to educate their clients on issues related to conservation/politics/etc. as I know from personal experience this makes a huge difference in the way people view the industry. Re-reading my prior post I realize I may have come off a little preachy/holier than thou so if anyone took it that way that wasn't my intention. I used to keep massive ling as a kid/teen thinking the bigger the better and used to catch small rockfish and stuff em straight into the crab trap bait box before I started to learn about conservation. This was in large part to some guides I know and people more plugged in than I was. I think it's all of our responsibility to inform each other on this forum and then spread these issues to other when we're taking them out fishing or even just out at the bar. There are some extremely intelligent and informed people on this forum that I have learned a ton from so thanks so all who put out so much knowledge and food for thought. Now if only we could somehow get the feds to read and act we'd be all set. Waiting with baited breath

I set free the large ones loose simply from a fillet size pref - too much processing to get a size that cooks well with the bigger ones.
Point taken-a big solid chunk of fish does take some processing and that takes time and skill no matter how it's done.

and besides ,, educating guests is a sure fire way of eating up 4h-6 hrs a trip depending on the clients general interest in what they are taking part in,,gets interesting sometimes depending on which side of jimmy's fence they play on...

Like several has said above, legally us rec's are allowed to keep any size hali so if you're into keeping hogs that's perfectly within your legal right. However, if we are going to create a sustainable fishery in our province I personally believe that our collective mentality needs to be towards conservation, at to me that includes releasing all large spawners (salmon, cod, hali, etc) so they can do their thing. Imagine if every single voter in this province had the mentality of conservation and actually voted based on that one issue alone. If MP's knew that the only way they would get elected is by supporting a sustainable fishery then we'd stand a much better chance of that actually happening. Far-fetched thinking I know but one thing I do know is that if everyone adopted the mentality of keeping all hogs and/or undersized we'd stand less of a chance.

The extremely frustrating part of this is obviously the fact that we rec's are having to lead by example while we watch other parties continue to pillage our communal resources. That said, I still believe the only way to have a long-term prosperous fishery is to do what we all know is right and make it known to elected officials and the voting public that this is something important to us.

Very well said!

Some have posted suggesting that they "need" their fish in the freezer. I seriously doubt that recreational or sport fishers "need" their fish in the same way that subsistence hunters/fishers do, namely to survive. Sport fishing is (or should be) about the experience of getting out on the water in Beautiful BC and the thrill of fishing, which includes the chance that any fish that might be hooked will win. Some luck and some skill, but it's all about a sporting chance and time in the outdoors, in my opinion. It is this experience that I "need", not a guaranteed fish to eat. That's why I can fly fish for steelhead and make a thousand casts to catch one, only to happily release it! I love to eat fish, but if I "needed" one to feed myself or my family, the boat and gear would be sold to buy a lot of fish to keep us from starving. None of us can do the math and say the fish we do catch are cheaper than what we could buy in the store, once we factor in the cost of our boats, fuel, gear etc.! Just a few thoughts to provide some perspective.

Very well said!

Some have posted suggesting that they "need" their fish in the freezer. I seriously doubt that recreational or sport fishers "need" their fish in the same way that subsistence hunters/fishers do, namely to survive. Sport fishing is (or should be) about the experience of getting out on the water in Beautiful BC and the thrill of fishing, which includes the chance that any fish that might be hooked will win. Some luck and some skill, but it's all about a sporting chance and time in the outdoors, in my opinion. It is this experience that I "need", not a guaranteed fish to eat. That's why I can fly fish for steelhead and make a thousand casts to catch one, only to happily release it! I love to eat fish, but if I "needed" one to feed myself or my family, the boat and gear would be sold to buy a lot of fish to keep us from starving. None of us can do the math and say the fish we do catch are cheaper than what we could buy in the store, once we factor in the cost of our boats, fuel, gear etc.! Just a few thoughts to provide some perspective.

Thanks for that. Thoughts for perspective?. Look at where a lot of sportsfisherman live. Look at where a lot of coastal families get their food like the rest of the world that live near coastal fishing opportunities. Don't just throw it in the mix or take it for granted. There are alot of folks of all walks of life that rely on the fish locally for sustenance. Don't ever take that for granted. You start going down that slippery slope of a road and you are asking for trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone in Victoria area catches a big hali, but doesn't like the idea of processing the meat, don't send it back. Message me and I'll process it for you. I will just keep a little for myself and you get to keep your hands and kitchen clean. Seriously, hit me up if you want help. Oh, I also take halibut those pieces of halibut that have sat in the freezer under that stale loaf of bread for too long. You don't need to feel bad about tossing it. pm me, I'll deep fry that ****.

Saxe... I like to fill my freezer so to speak. I like to fill to the point that I know I have enough for my family for the year. With the season uncertainties who knows when you will get cut off. Before the short seasons I would get a fish eat it all then go get another and do the same. I am not known for landing big fish so I get my chicken do a fresh meal, shoot enough to the retired neighbors for a meal. Maybe a chunk to the parents.

After a few of years commie fishing, then a bunch of years in the processing/wholesale end there is no way in hell I buy a piece of fish from a retail outlet. If I had to to remortgage the house for a feed I would get a piece from Fraumeni's shop.

Reelfast..... I know your pain, but don't you guys get a online licence then shift over the boarder.... don't say it doesn't happen.

Thanks for that. Thoughts for perspective?. Look at where a lot of sportsfisherman live instead of spouting off your personal stuff. Look at where a lot of coastal families get their food like the rest of the world that live near coastal fishing opportunities. Don't just throw it in the mix or take it for granted. There are alot of folks of all walks of life that rely on the fish locally for sustenance. Don't ever take that for granted. You start going down that slippery slope of a road and you are asking for trouble.

Thanks for yours. I take nothing for granted, and I'm not sure we disagree, but you may have missed my point. If you need fish or game for subsistence, that's a very different thing than what sportsfishermen are about. And it not where people live, but what they need to live. I don't see that as slippery slope that leads to trouble. To the contrary. I just don't see how anyone (not just you or me) who pours thousands (or tens of them) of dollars into boats and gear as a sportfisherman can honestly say they "need" a fish the way that others might "need" a fish. To fail to understand that is to not truly appreciate the situation of those who are less fortunate.

With all this pasion to let the big females go does anybody know if big females can grow to an age that they do not reproduce anymore? 80 year old women can't. What happens when all the viable smaller males are sport harvested out and there is none left to h@#p the bigger females?
I wanted to comment on the idea that fishing is suposed to be all about the experience. I have heard it many times from dfo officers and hard core c&r guys. "Yeah if you perfer to eat out of a can from safeway". Atleast that what my brother says to me.lol He also cant understand why anyone would spend so much time chasing a fish torment it by catching it then let it go. "How f@#$ing cruel!" is how he puts it. Like I'm a total c&r steelhead guy but my brother does have some interesting points! He don't let the big halllis go.

With all this pasion to let the big females go does anybody know if big females can grow to an age that they do not reproduce anymore? 80 year old women can't. What happens when all the viable smaller males are sport harvested out and there is none left to h@#p the bigger females?
I wanted to comment on the idea that fishing is suposed to be all about the experience. I have heard it many times from dfo officers and hard core c&r guys. "Yeah if you perfer to eat out of a can from safeway". Atleast that what my brother says to me.lol He also cant understand why anyone would spend so much time chasing a fish torment it by catching it then let it go. "How f@#$ing cruel!" is how he puts it. Like I'm a total c&r steelhead guy but my brother does have some interesting points! He don't let the big halllis go.

Your brother's view is interesting, and not unique. Some First Nation peoples view catch and release as disrespectful to the fish - one should take what one needs to eat and to "play" with the fish only to then release it is considered inappropriate.

hey guys i never post on here, but read every day....im all for conservation, but all this talk of size limits,punching tags like salmon, and daily weight quota's, why r u guys giving dfo more idea's on how to restrict halibut. Some people depend on this fishery for a living, and some for food and sport(sport and food for me)! Not trying to cause a stir, but dont give these guys in Ottawa ideas on how they manage our fisheries(don't think for 1 minute, that they dont read these forums, cause they do)...as for keeping big hali's thats a decision for the person that reels it in!!!! cheers

lip ripper not saying ideas r bad ...dont get me wrong...just dont give those pricks ideas on how to screw us even more than they already have

I think we do disagree about the "label" of a sportsfisherman. I wasn't talking about myself and I fully understand about those less fortunate and that is whom I was mostly referring to.

Sportsfishing can mean different things to different people. I think most sportsfishermen share my views. My only point was to highlight what sportsfishing is not - it's not about "needing" the fish the way some people do. World Fisheries Trust (created in 1995, a Canadian non-profit organization dedicated to the equitable and sustainable use and conservation of aquatic biodiversity) has defined the difference as follows:

What is subsistence fishing?
Subsistence fishing refers to fishing, other than sport
fishing, that is carried out primarily to feed the family
and relatives of the person doing the fishing. Generally it
also implies the use of low tech “artisanal” fishing
techniques and is carried out by people who are very
poor. Quite often this fishing is part of a life that also
relies on small-scale agriculture and other sources of
income, and may include some sale of fish.
In Canada, the term also applies to First Nations fisheries
for food and ceremonial purposes, and may have some
slightly differing legal implications depending on the part
of the country.

Back