Many people release the big halis?

bushwackin

With the numbers declining might be something more people should consider including myself and buds. We've caught maybe 10 between 60 and 90 and kept them. The meat definately was not comparable to the smaller ones. They were probably all females too right?

I personally like them up to 60lbs but have to admit i have kept them bigger. I think the subject will stir up some opinions for sure. I have some friends up north that release anything over 100lbs and have set them back close to 350lbs over the years. I don't think it is 100% conservation reasons but cant hurt. The more south you move on the coast the less people tend to catch and release either due to fish populations or attitudes. Also if you catch big halis all the time, chances are going to be better that you would cut one loose compared to a weekend warrior that just caught the biggest fish of his life. There are alot more big halis out there than people think, just ask the commercial guys fishing the much deeper waters. In the Charlottes a popular set for them would be in 1000+ feet of water and there was no "chickens" in that tub. Average size was 80 pounds through 200. I assure you he did not release any lol

Hmmmm...I'll say that in my experience that the meat doesn't really change at all until you get above about 100-120lbs...the perfect eaters are the 35-80 or 90lbs as lots of meat and still nice and firm. I'll even go with the perfect possible size as 60lbs as enough meat to last a month to feed a family eating hali once or twice a week. Only need a handful of those a year and golden.

Also, talked to a commercial guy I went to school with and they get more money per pound for fish under 50lbs apparently, although I have to say that they get more overall money for bigger fish obviously.

I don't know about the quality of the meat above 80 or 90 pounds but my understanding is that everything over that 80-90 pound mark are females. We were hali fishing a couple of years ago in our hole near Shearwater and were catching 30-40's and then we managed a 150. At the time, being new to hali fishing we didn't realize that the large fish are females. New policy now with anything over 80 pounds - they go back in the water because they are probably female. My 2 cents worth.

any fish over my eyeball estimate of 50 is cut loose. keeping the big breeder females is going to do the same thing to halibut populations that keeping all of those giant chinook on the kenai did for that river. the gene pool is what it is and does need our collective stewardship.

Alaska is looking at the very real possibility of a 15-19% cut in hali quota. Southeast (which sits in Shearwater's back yard) is taking the brunt of the quota cuts. In 2010/2011 there was a disproportional amount of 10/20's caught by the commies. The price for that size fell accordingly, with pricing for 40/60's and up being significantly higher due to an ongoing shortage of those sizes.

People are scratching their heads, but anecdotal evidence points to feed--the chickens just aren't putting on the weight for a given amount of years in the chick nursery. Russian fish (Russian Far East) are much more desirable on the open market as they are much thicker in the belly compared to an Alaskan fish (much better yield at the knife)

If there's a feed issue going down, Canadian quotas will also be effected as the IPHC manages for "straddling stocks"

I know the sports guys both in Alaska and Canada aren't happy about quotas but there seems to be some very real (negative) biological pressures on the stocks.

I turn them loose across the board, but I fully understand what drives guys that don't.

Reelfast's comments about the Kenai are spot-on--- I fished that river in the early 80's when I lived in Los Anchorage. There was a real solid 40 - 45 lb average in the July run. 50's and 60's were expected and not much to talk about. Today? I doubt that's the case, a good part of the reason being the gill-net fishery in Cook Inlet, but also due to sport guys high-grading fish until they got the big ones.

I think both sport guys and sport guides should keep that in mind with the big halis---C&R should be strongly considered, or eventually it will be mandatory.

any fish over my eyeball estimate of 50 is cut loose. keeping the big breeder females is going to do the same thing to halibut populations that
keeping all of those giant chinook on the kenai did for that river. the gene pool is what it is and does need our collective stewardship.

Yah we're going to start doing the same. Sounds like we'd better start using the circle hooks with barbs ground off

When the commercial boys release the big females then I will too!

If my freezer needs halibut, I will take what I catch.
If my freezer has halibut, I would not be out targeting them.

Well interestingly enough this past Summer in the Shearwater area the Hali catch size was way down compared the previous couple of years for us. There might be a Shearwater charter guy who can shed some light on that. We still managed 20's to 30's which is fine with me.

Regardless of what the commercial guys do I will be limiting the catch and keep on bigger Hali's from now on.

Hmmmm...I'll say that in my experience that the meat doesn't really change at all until you get above about 100-120lbs...the perfect eaters are the 35-80 or 90lbs as lots of meat and still nice and firm. I'll even go with the perfect possible size as 60lbs as enough meat to last a month to feed a family eating hali once or twice a week. Only need a handful of those a year and golden.

Whoa 60 Lb Hali is enough meat to last 6 months no?

You suddenly have a lot of friends when you get fresh halibut. ;)
Unless you hoarde it away, it doesn't last that long.

Not even close! And remember that the recovery off a butt of that size is only 50-55 % .

Not even close! And remember that the recovery off a butt of that size is only 50-55 % .

My thoughts exactly.
My idea of conservation is taking only what I need, and not targeting them after that.

maybe the limit for halibut should be 60lbs a day max. no big fish or several smaller ones

OFFS!!
8.gif
The LAST thing we need is even more restrictions from The Dino regarding halibut!!
Leave it to personal preference. The Recreational Sector's take of the Biggies is less than a drop in the bucket in comparison to the Commercial Fleet!

As to the original query:

Personally I won't keep one over 75 pounds. Have cut loose a fair number larger than that.

On the occasion a Client brings one up over that, I gently explain that it is extremely likely that those of such size represent our Female Broodstock, and therefore if released will produce many more for the future. And note the smaller ones have a much better flavor / consistency.

At that point, the decision to Bonk or not is entirely theirs. Most let them go. Some do not. Just the way it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

This is where we need NEW regulation. A size limit .... but it's tough to do. How about a punch card, or system like a Salmon license. Max 5 or 10 per year per person. How many can 1 person actually use.

I personally would like to see the big females (over say 100 pounds) released. That said, have a size limit, but how do you do it? You certainly don't want to gaff it and bring it on board then attempt a release. That JUST WON'T work. BUT all this said, it is PATHETIC how much money I need to spend to go out for 1 a day, 2 possession limit. I should be able to take 2 in one day. I travel to the Island with Truck, Boat, friends, pay for all the equip, Gas, accommodation, etc etc. then GET BLOWN OFF THE WATER with high wind with out even a chance for Hallies. The DFO and Government is pathetic with a 1 in 1 Regulation with 2 Possession, they need to realize what we as sport fishers put into this economy. The Set lines of Commercial, F/N, Trawlers and Draggers are far more of a problem to the Hallie demise then we the sport fishers. Then there's the Buy Back program WHAT A JOKE!

WAKE UP DFO !

HT

I feel that to release or not is a personal choice.
For those of us who may only get a couple real opportunities to target Halibut each year it is more likely we would kill what we catch (If I need the meat ). If I was one of the lucky ones that is in halibut waters all season,then I would very likely let the big ones go as I know it will not be my last chance that year to get some white meat for the freezer. So far I have not faced the decision as my biggest is 53lb. I have told myself that I will make that choice at that time based on my needs at the time,and any future opportunities I may have coming that year. At the end of the day I agree with Caroline fully. Take only what I need and if I don't need it I will not be targeting it.

X-2 on that! My dent in the population last year was two halis around 10lbs each. No complaints about that as that is the way the world goes round. What I had to eat was really tasty and if I don't have any more this year that will be fine, but don't take from me and give to the commies!

I feel that to release or not is a personal choice.
For those of us who may only get a couple real opportunities to target Halibut each year it is more likely we would kill what we catch (If I need the meat ). If I was one of the lucky ones that is in halibut waters all season,then I would very likely let the big ones go as I know it will not be my last chance that year to get some white meat for the freezer. So far I have not faced the decision as my biggest is 53lb. I have told myself that I will make that choice at that time based on my needs at the time,and any future opportunities I may have coming that year. At the end of the day I agree with Caroline fully. Take only what I need and if I don't need it I will not be targeting it.

I explain to all my guests before we go or on the way, about the halis. The choice is ultimately theirs, they are the paying customer. However, that being said there are definitly different techniques/ areas where you will encounter different sizes, ie a chicken ranch area wont generally hold any large ones and targeting the structure for hammers wont have any chickens. It does cost a fortune to get your limit of halis for your clients, traveling out to where you want to go with 2 people, get 2 then back out next day to get 2 more. I dont blame people for wanting some poundage for the fuel put forth.

Back