Malcolm Trip

Steelhead S2

Heading up to Malcolm today for a week of fun. Hopefully a lot of that fun is fishing. The forecast is iffy at best, but I'm sure I`ll get out.

Anyone else up that way? If so, I'll keep an eye and ear open.

Got up here last evening. After dinner, we headed out into the bay for a quick shake-out trip. No fish, but tonnes of bait, being hammered by every bid in the area.

On the water before 5:00 this morning, and fishing by about 5:15. Ran up the back side. I hit one about ten minutes in. A valiant fight that ended with a marbled 23#er in the tub. Great start. Maybe ten minutes later my line hammers off again. An even better fight ended with a spirited 12# feeder alongside the first. This one was about the reddest red I've ever seen. After that things were quiet. Had a couple of investigative nibbles, but nothing stuck. Maybe pinks?

Hardly any boats out. The forecast is *****, and it really came up after lunch.

The few boats we did see seemed to be having about the same results as us. We were in by 11:00.

I expect it'll come down tonight, and I'll be out early again tomorrow.

Everything was on bait, fished fairly shallow. The feed up here is about 5" to 6", and both fish had been feeding.

Thanks for the report Steelhead S2. Your report has me anxious to get up there and give it a go. Good luck for the rest of your trip, and I hope the weather will cooperate with you.

Back