Maintenance Costs & Insurance

Baxter

Maintenance Costs
Looking for a rough idea what I can expect to pay for maintenance for a Yamaha 90. (starting at 0 hours, so no surprises!)

I will most likely do as much as I can myself, but for the sake of argument, what is a ball-park annual average for the necessary maintenance if I were to simply take it into a shop for everything.

(I get that hours play a role, and that there are a LOT of factors at play here. Could I expect to spend $200/yr? $500/yr? $1000/yr? More?) Or cost /100hrs? Just having a very difficult time figuring out what

Essentially I am looking for a number to budget. Trying to get the true sense of cost of ownership here!

(Also costs for a Yam 9.9 kicker - I assume maintenance costs are pretty low for that)

(Again, I will probably do DIY for most of the maintenance, but want to plan for high-end scenario)

Insurance Costs
The boat will be financed. I assume this requires insurance on the boat (not just trailer insurance). I seem to be having a hard time getting anyone to call me back with a quote! What can I expect to pay for insurance. Assume boat value to be around $40,000. (still unknown)

Thank you everyone!!!

Assuming you can change your own engine and gear oil, basic filters and spark plugs
maintenance costs are low.
maybe $300 a year
with a new engine your dealer will likely want to do the 100, 500 and 1000 hour service checks
and that's when it gets expensive.

Rule of thumb for "toy" (boats/planes/cars/etc.) for maintenance and other incidental costs (moorage, launch fees, storage, preventive maintenance, etc., etc.) is 10% +/- of the value of toy. So for a $40 k boat, you're looking at around $4k per year.

Also, if you are buying new, the dealer will likely have to do the service in order for the warranty to remain valid.

Rule of thumb for "toy" (boats/planes/cars/etc.) for maintenance and other incidental costs (moorage, launch fees, storage, preventive maintenance, etc., etc.) is 10% +/- of the value of toy. So for a $40 k boat, you're looking at around $4k per year.

Also, if you are buying new, the dealer will likely have to do the service in order for the warranty to remain valid.

I have always wondered about this dealer servicing thing.....so if I buy new and do all required servicing that I feel like doing, oil, impeller, fuel filers anodes etc and I keep receipts my warrantee is imvalid? Any one with some solid info on that because I think that's ridiculous. I'm a ticketed tradesman, but even if I wasn't lots of people have mechanical skills/knowledge to do their own stuff

I think the 100 hour check is probably a good idea
to make sure the engine is properly broken in and sound.
After that, keep up the regular maintenance and get it fixed when it breaks.

Last edited:
10% seems reasonable, but there is no shortage of ways to spend money on boats!
^^This!
If you stick with what I call the basic maintenance requirements, %10 sounds like a reasonable ratio. But when I look at my annual spendings and with that 10% rule, I feel like I own the most expensive 19’ glass boat in the province!
I had a different experience with my dealer for the dealer service requirements. I explained that I was willing to do the service myself and didn’t have the time to drive the boat 40km each way for basic service. They were OK to sell me the parts/oil and have me do the service myself so I guess it’s all about your relationship with your dealer.

Really? 10% per year? That sounds high - but you note moorage and storage, two costs I won't have (driveway is just fine!) As for launch fees, annual fees make that not so bad. How much of that were you attributing to moorage and storage?

My initial guess was that putting $100/m away for maintenance (so $1200/yr is enough). Perhaps I am way off?

(I was not looking for a number that included launching, fuel, etc, that is easy enough to figure out. Mostly just looking at costs associated with actual engine maintenance)

If 10% is actually an accurate figure though, I need to rethink things... Anyone have a 6' inflatable from Canadian Tire for sale? ;) ;)

10% is pretty good figure..... also not noted is trailer maintenance.... bearings , brakes , tires and so on. Launch fees aren’t cheap either $20 a launch if I remember at rocky point ? Annual passes to launch ? You could probably get away with skipping some things if your trying to save but in my experience putting things off ends up costing atleast double in the long run , or a break down on the water or on the side of the road. Hope this helps

10% is pretty accurate. Modifications, polishing, bottom paint, new props, safety gear gets old. The list is endless. What you don't spend on regular maintenance you'll spend on upgrades and tackle.

I have always wondered about this dealer servicing thing.....so if I buy new and do all required servicing that I feel like doing, oil, impeller, fuel filers anodes etc and I keep receipts my warrantee is imvalid? Any one with some solid info on that because I think that's ridiculous. I'm a ticketed tradesman, but even if I wasn't lots of people have mechanical skills/knowledge to do their own stuff
We just installed a new Merc pro kicker on my boat. I was told by the dealership that I can do the oil changes and servicing. He said to make sure to buy Merc oil, oem parts and keep the receipts. I’m installing a digital hour meter inside the coul. I’ll take pics with date/time stamps to prove when the servicing was done in case there is a warranty issue.

10% is pretty good figure..... also not noted is trailer maintenance.... bearings , brakes , tires and so on. Launch fees aren’t cheap either $20 a launch if I remember at rocky point ? Annual passes to launch ? You could probably get away with skipping some things if your trying to save but in my experience putting things off ends up costing atleast double in the long run , or a break down on the water or on the side of the road. Hope this helps

This is why I was looking at just engine maintenance costs. You may be paying $20/launch. Where I am, I can get an annual membership and pay just $35/year for the launch. There are a lot of factors I can easily figure out (fuel for one) but the actual costs to maintain the engine specifically are the unknown.

This is why I was looking at just engine maintenance costs. You may be paying $20/launch. Where I am, I can get an annual membership and pay just $35/year for the launch. There are a lot of factors I can easily figure out (fuel for one) but the actual costs to maintain the engine specifically are the unknown.
Ok so then it’s really simple your asking for maintenance costs if you take it into a shop for everything..... ask the dealer what the 100 hour service costs and 300 hour service cost and what it costs for filter and fluid changes in between and so on. They will give you what your looking for they do it all the time. Insurance well that’s a whole different game where you gonna use it ? How much liability ? Personal effects? Value you want insured ? How many miles from the coast are you gonna use it ? So many factors for this. Good luck

Unless you get a real lemon, it won't cost you that much.
I'm talking about basic maintenance to the motor which I think is what you asked for.
The 100 hour service is probably $500-$600
after that $300 a year for parts and fluids

Thanks! Yes, this is basically the kind of data I am trying to find!

1200 is likely too low for maintenance. Dealer engine maintenance is expensive, and Yamaha factory maintenance includes a 20 hour maintenance that if you listen to the other manufacturers total cost of ownership of a Yami is very expensive. https://outboards.yamaha-owners-manuals.com/om/LIT-18626-12-41.pdf

A 9.9 will be a little cheaper but still expensive. Also trailer maintenance is expensive. $600 an axle for larger ones with brakes. Insurance, maybe $500 a year but a small boat may be covered under house insurance.

Every year something will go on a heavily used boat. A bilge pump here, electrical wire here..... There are exceptions but most boats will come in at least at 10%.

Get the economy going man, we need you spending.

Holy cow some of you guys must be hard on stuff unreal.

The man said he was handy with tools and a do it yourself kind of guy.

Where do you get $600 an axle for trailer maintenance, frick a set of bearings is $30.00 on a 18’ foot boat he’ll have a single axle that’s $60 for bearings every 3 or 4 years. Breaks shoot you can buy pads for $75 if you have to do them every 5 or 6 years I’d be surprised, if his single axle will even have breaks. The engine, leg oil $15, plugs aren’t every year maybe every 4 at 4 plugs at $10 each, fuel filter $10 and really that’s about it. Mind you I see the way people treat their equipment it doesn’t surprise me some spend what they do lol.

That 9.9 kicker, leg oil, 1 jug will last you 2 years, plugs every second year, engine oil 1 litre a year where the cost in that, you spend more on chips for snacks in a year.

That’s why you buy new so you don’t too put $4000 a year into it.

Last edited:
I did say for a heavier trailer with brakes and he said, if he takes it into a shop, not if he did it in your driveway! Good thing you are willing to give him a hand and spend your weekend helping him. I seem to remember every Yami fluid and part being 2X the cost, but my memory is foggy after switching to hondas. Most shop rates start at $125 for guys walking in off the street.

There is no reason an even slightly mechanical inclined person needs to spend a penny for maintenance at a stealership. If you do the required maintenance and aren't the reason for something screwing up, your warranty is not affected. Anyone that tells you otherwise has been sold a lie from a gouging dealership.

I had ONE service done on my Yamaha's at a dealership. They charged me for twice as long as it takes me to do the same thing in labour, and these are supposed professionals...of which I most certainly am not... No thank you.

Assuming this is a new boat, and you wrench yourself I think $2-300 a year for the first 5 years. After that probably a bit more, but depends how you look after your stuff.

I did say for a heavier trailer with brakes and he said, if he takes it into a shop, not if he did it in your driveway! Good thing you are willing to give him a hand and spend your weekend helping him. I seem to remember every Yami fluid and part being 2X the cost, but my memory is foggy after switching to hondas. Most shop rates start at $125 for guys walking in off the street.
I was thinking the same, i own 2x honda and the parts are at least double the $. I figure my cost for maintenance a year for both main and kicker is about 800$ a year, i winterize my boat every year. I do all the work myself. In a dealership would be double easy

Back