Mainlanders are getting Fu*&(&ED

I guess life is all a matter of perspective.....and our opinions are based from there. HSM542, if I had your money I'd burn mine.:D:DActually I'd head to the Charlottes to an all inclusive operation and kick back. But that's me.

For the record I mis-interpreted the fare schedule. My 40' under-height rig will cost about $152. Before it would have been $90. If you are over-height, the cost increase is not that bad. But, for under-height the cost increase is crazy. Considering I would take up $93.50 worth of deck space. I am being charged a $60 premium each way. That extra $120 could be spent on fuel or 3x24 of Lucky.[:p][:p]

Coyote Spooner, don't burn your money for mine just yet, you may be disappointed! Beleive me I sacrafice alot of other things in order to be able to go once a year for a week with a couple of freinds to what is my favorite place on earth. The cost for each of us is about $1000.00 in total for each of us and a far cry from $3500-$5000 for a guided trip to the Charlottes for all inclusive. The do it yourselfer in me has no desire to even go on one of those trips and I have been asked on numerous occassions. Instead of doing this once a year for a guided trip, I bit the bullet and bought my own seaworthy boat which cost the same as 10 years of going to the Charlottes and I get to keep the boat! This is what I love doing and only wish I could be there 5 times per year but this is not going to happen. Consider yourself luckier than me for that reason! Good luck on your trips out there when you go and instead of complaining about the cost of RECREATION think of me only dreaming of being there.

Well here is the pudding, I went over on March 31 and came back today. I had the truck, camper and the boat, total length 50 ft. Going there with the old rates was $224 with me the wife and 2 kids, coming back with the same was $16.00 more. The set up is obviously both o/h and o/l. No biggie increase. Always was and still is very spendy, but 60 crab and 7 or 8 hundred prawns later........ No keeper fish though, wind was a ***** on Friday.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

I guess if you were only over lenghth the increase could be substantial, but for me being both o/h and o/l pretty much the same.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

I'll still be coming to fish and visit all my Alberta friends that have moved to the Island but dang, I don't know how you guys can afford to live there.

I feel bad for you guys, I got off work early today so I decided to hook up the boat, and go set some prawn and crab traps. No ferry, no over hight, no big gas bill, just a two min drive to the ramp:D I will be an Island boy for life;)

Look for my Canadian flag on the hockey stick

we have just as good prawning here in howe sound than just about anywhere on the island and for crabbing of the mouth of the river is better. that's why there are 29 licenses form the coal port to ubc with 300 pots each. we come for the salmon

i think we local fisherman and basically canadians live with these increase after increases, lets take gas for an example , when it went to 1.50/litre, it was near 150/barrel and followed suit, now its been down around 70-80/barrel and the gas stays 1.15/litre. We basically live with it, HST is now rammed down our throat, ferries going up cannonballs 3 times more expensive and whatever else we can remember, it all adds up and takes away from fishing money so i say i needed to ***** as i need lots of money to do what i need, my friend buys his boat specifically based on underheight charges and now that is taken away

Don't forget that the next iteration of the carbon tax hits July 1st. That's another 1.1c/l on gasoline as well as increases on heating fuels etc. Tax on top of tax on top of tax!

Politicians should be forced to reduce their salaries every time they add another tax to the growing list. That might make it mean something to the greedy sob's.

I would be happy to store anyone's boat and trailer from the mainland here in Vic as long as I can use it. :)

Start a boat Co-op! tough times call for innovative thinking. Tougher times to come yet. This is just the beginning. Another 5 years and all the boomers will be retired - less income tax more drain on the social system means more taxes for those that like to spend money and make it.

quote:Originally posted by spring time

we have just as good prawning here in howe sound than just about anywhere on the island and for crabbing of the mouth of the river is better. that's why there are 29 licenses form the coal port to ubc with 300 pots each. we come for the salmon

I do okay on the crab on the mainland but havent found a good prawn spot yet, I live in the interior so not enough time to explore. Hit my sisters on the island every easter for the bottom critters and some fishing. Feel free to pm me with some prawn co-ordinates, would be much appreciated for the couple times a summer I get to the coast.:D

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

quote:Originally posted by cammer

heres the way to look at my post, How many of you islanders trailer boats to get to the mainland??? this post was posted in SALTWATER remember?? id still say my post is accurate as mainland saltwater fisherman will be getting hosed with the trailer costs way more than islanders, all in all its a way of getting money from the Olympics overruns back

Granted this is a fishing site, but you should see the line up of trailers (either quad or camping) during hunting season. It goes both ways for us on the Island.

I heard the other day that we on the Island will not see the benefits to the higher Canadian $$ due to the higher transportation cost of getting stuff here.

So even though we live in Paradise, we still get the shaft....a lot more than people think.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Hi all, I got back from a 3 days trip to Washington. Headed down early Friday with the wife, her best friend and daughter. Shopped all the way to Olympia where we stayed for 2 nights. Hit Cabelas and other stores/malls. On the way back we took the scenic road (101,20)to Port Townsend to catch the Ferry to Whidbey Island. 3 Adults and one 8 year old in the car. I asked how much and he said $18.## something. Under $19.00??? I couldn't believe it. If you are ever down there well worth the drive.

Cheers, Rob

X2 , had to use one to get to where my tinny was bought last year..

Yeah the prices on the US Ferries are almost laughable , Can't believe how inexpenssive they are , Might not have all the newer bells and whistles of our newer BC Ferry's ,( atleast the ones i seen in Seattle ) they do keep them very Clean and respectful . I myself , don't really care about cosmetics , as long as we get there safely , quickly , I'm happy. Rarely do i leave my vehicle anyway , lol... back to sleep...

FD..;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

The whole HST and BCFC fiasco is all part of a perfect s#$t storm aimed at killing our economy. Couldn't have planned it any better if you wanted to ruin BC....It looks like a whole lot of poor planning and crappy governance.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Back