Mainlanders are getting Fu*&(&ED

cammer

BC Ferries is making that trip to our island paradise much more expensive, they have disposed of over height fares and now have a PER FOOT charge for vehicles over 20 ', my friend specifically bought his new boat with it being Underheight in mind and is really pissed bringing up The Olympics overhead beginning to show its ugly head. We would be around 110$ per trip last year , now its 5.50 per foot over 20 feet, so its ringing in at 200$ now, we have already decided to hide on way through line to save a few bucks as a protest, lol. Pretty much a grab for cash from these chumps. Cant wait till gas goes up this summer and they add another surcharge on top

All you gotta do is figger out how to load your rig onto the top of your truck!

you think mainlanders that come to the Island for recreation are getting ****ed?!...no disrespect, but you're likely not going to get much sympathy from those of us that live here and use the ferries out of necessity rather than for pleasure.
I agree BCFC is run by a bunch of chumps...the title of your thread just kinda rubbed me the wrong way [8D].

only can speak from my own respective, to each there own comments, its a F N joke that this private/govt corp can kept un lubricated analing us without a reach around.... they have to pay for their own blunders and we get it u know where

What did you expect when privatizing a company that has a monopoly? Either private under competition or public with accountability to voters.

I was planning a fishing trip to Bamfield in May. Now it's cancelled!!!! My Ferry costs just went from $90 to $220 one way (For truck and trailer). I think this senario will play out quite a bit. It's a shame that The Island will be losing all these tourist $. With the downturn in the forest industry, tourism is a big player. I hate to think how much the average islander is going to pay in xtra transportation costs, for goods coming over by truck and rides. All in all it SUCKS!!!!!

I did have one idea though. I wonder what they would say if I pushed my 14' tin boat (on trailer) through the toll booth, and then re-hooked it to my truck. Might be good for a few laughs:D:D:D Then it would be $46 x 2. Instead of 40' x $5.25. Oh yeah, it would be good to have the media there for the festivities.[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Hahn......

can u license a quad or something to pull your 14' through, any vehcile that would keep u under 20ft, your right it would be funny as hell[:p]

[

we've taken a farm tractor to victoria and hooked up a potato digger and the back on it to the mainland. dohboy it will cost you and a friend $150.00 each way for the ferry. you still get 20 feet for 46.75 then it's 5.25 there after. I got a crew cab long box with a 25 foot trailer and it's only cost 218.00 i figure

To me it doesn't sound any different than my costs from the previous few years as my boat windsheild was at 7' 2" so I always paid overheight charges that ended up being around $200.00 per trip for a 44' total length! These trips have a cost involved no matter how you look at it, which for us are around $2500-$3000 per week including moorage, gas for both the vehicle and boat, accomodations and ferry trips. If you are boycotting the trip for what amounts to roughly 7% of the total cost, you are missing the point of being able to go there and fish without the cost of a guided trip that many people do due to a lack of having a boat to take out!(No offence to all the great guides out there but I enjoy the challenge of doing it myself!) The fact we can go out and fish like this is priceless. Ferry costs are part of being able to go, like it or not!

quote:Originally posted by Degree of Freedom

you think mainlanders that come to the Island for recreation are getting ****ed?!...no disrespect, but you're likely not going to get much sympathy from those of us that live here and use the ferries out of necessity rather than for pleasure.

aYup! X2!!!

Like being held to ransom for our choice to live where we do. SWINES! [B)]

Nog

heres the way to look at my post, How many of you islanders trailer boats to get to the mainland??? this post was posted in SALTWATER remember?? id still say my post is accurate as mainland saltwater fisherman will be getting hosed with the trailer costs way more than islanders, all in all its a way of getting money from the Olympics overruns back

HSM542, just to put it in perspective, we would go and come back probably 4-5 times a year, late april, may, june, july, aug and mid september being the last as we have decided to put away those massive coho rather than rely on local river coho abundance, now do the math, thats probably a 1000 more for all those trips for the underheight boat and vehicle, we average about 5- 600 per trip total cost with 2 or 3 of us. We do it cheap due to the amount of times so to us its a HUGE inconveinence. Now we will be changing either amount of times or leaving boat there which takes away from having it here for salmon season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not thrilled with these prices either however to me it seems like all they did was even-up the playing feild. How happy do you think I have been over these years that because my boat happens to be 2" over height I have ALWAYS paid what your complaining about. The ferry costs should be reflected in the space you use, and when I see boats and trucks the same length pay less than I have to because I use an extra couple of inches in height even though there is many feet between the ceiling and boat, it always has had my goat. I wish I had the problem of deciding to go only four times instead of five! All in all if you go five times at an extra $90/trip it still adds up to $900/year or $300/person/year or $60/person for each trip both ways. Still far less than Boycotting such exciting times Warrants!

My cost actually went down a few dollars. I travel from Powell River to Comox. I am 42' total length overheight. My cost last year was $135, and for this year it will be $126 (including me).

Reading some of the comments, I hope that you are all calculating the totals knowing that the per foot rate just applies to the length you are over the 20', not the entire length.

Hope this makes it better for some of you.

Only way to beat em is to leave your boat over here for the season...or stop coming over with your boat. Never get off the rock![^]

Searun

th_067.jpg

I agree the price increases suck. However, on the bright side a campsite, accommodations, or moorage should be easier to come by in the heavily fished destinations. This will definitely deter some fishers because of the added expense. I have noticed the cat is out of the bag about new rate hikes on the big US fishing forums. Some Americans grudgingly accept the increases. Others said they would make alternate plans or cancel their trips to the island. So maybe a few less complaints about rubbing rod tips on the water this summer.

maybe you should take up lake fishing;)

Look for my Canadian flag on the hockey stick

Back