Main to kicker tie rod

Saxe Point

I’ve got a new kicker and the tie rod is too short. Who makes these things (it came with my boat when I bought it)? Sooke/Victoria area.

The tie rod connects at the front of the motors, not the leg. I’ve maximized the length of mine (see picture) but it’s not long enough. 54EAB085-9215-4E0E-B0C4-F9DCD32544BB.jpeg

Have you thought about having it lengthened? A weld might be cheaper than a longer bar.

I like Empire Welding in Langford.

The one I had from a boat I bought from Sherwood Marine looked like yours. On my next boat I bought the ready rod and same connectors from Harbour Chandler.

If I remember right I think its 5/16? rod is it not? I got some from my buddy at a metal shop, measure out what length ya need and I cut the treads in myself ,Also put a float on before you attach both ends those torpedo ones not saying it will fall over board but it it does... I also jammed some 5/6 fuel line down it all to cover it put grease in in first slide right in like butter the float is for show any marine place will have the lil ones im talking about
Good luck Wolf

1608338678810.png

I used stainless ready rod cut to length then sleeved it with stainless pipe. I don’t have to take mine on and off so no need for any floats etc

Attachments

• A3B8AB37-0AB7-42C2-98C3-FB3C3D3E9A4C.jpg
    A3B8AB37-0AB7-42C2-98C3-FB3C3D3E9A4C.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 49
I never did either but im always the kinda guy that "if it will happen it will" so I like to plan ahead just incase as if it will happen it will for some reason

Buy a stainless steel rod and thread it -easy job. Put a float on as Wolf suggested.

Last edited:
If I remember right I think its 5/16? rod is it not? I got some from my buddy at a metal shop, measure out what length ya need and I cut the treads in myself ,Also put a float on before you attach both ends those torpedo ones not saying it will fall over board but it it does... I also jammed some 5/6 fuel line down it all to cover it put grease in in first slide right in like butter the float is for show any marine place will have the lil ones im talking about
Good luck Wolf

View attachment 59717
3/8s fine is a standard .... Three ft lengths -- Just cut to the length you want.

You can check for stock on fastenals website. I had to go to the states to find a stainless steel piece.

I purchased a 36” length of 3/8” fine thread rod at Brafasco in Burnaby for exactly this purpose. The panther quick connect couplers (SS on amazon for $55) thread directly to the rod. Easy

Mine looks the same as yours SP; with one exception, the rod is pre-threaded for its entire length. It was on the boat when I bought it. It has the same ends and they sell the ends at TroTac. If it is pre-threaded all you have to do is cut it down to fit the length you need. I would ask at TroTac if they can get you a pre-threaded SS rod a little longer than you need.

Or spin a die afterward to clean up thereads and leave the SS nuts pristine.

I have the same tie-bar connections, I find they rattle like crazy, very annoying !

So I put a small piece of rubber from an inner tube in the ball-joint to stop the rattling, really helps

I have the same tie-bar connections, I find they rattle like crazy, very annoying !

So I put a small piece of rubber from an inner tube in the ball-joint to stop the rattling, really helps
That works; so do rubber/silicon plumbing washers and once when ours had a rattle on one end and nothing else was available on the boat, a little duct tape solved the problem and lasted for months. Silicon grease also helps and is a good idea for the ends anyway.

Last edited:
Back