Macerator pumps

JWS

Crew Member
Went down to the (new to me) boat today to find the fish lockers full of water. It rained pretty good the other day, so no surprise there. I have macerator pumps to empty the lockers, and found out tonight they don’t pump. They worked fine 3 weeks ago before I dumped the boat in the water. I checked all the piping for blockages, found nothing. The pumps run, but don’t suck. They’re jabsco self priming macerators, that don’t look that old. Do the impellers in these wear out fast? Or is there something else I should be looking at before I replace the pumps?

Thanks in advance

Are the pumps running slow or fast?
The impellers do wear out but from my experience its corrosion and high loads that affect the performance.

I normally try to lubricate the impeller and it can make a huge difference. Either a little silicon spray with a long spray tube or even a little boat soap if you're in the water works.

Are the pumps running slow or fast?
The impellers do wear out but from my experience its corrosion and high loads that affect the performance.

I normally try to lubricate the impeller and it can make a huge difference. Either a little silicon spray with a long spray tube or even a little boat soap if you're in the water works.
You can buy impellors for those--comes in a kit. Easy to rebuild. I used to have 3 on my boat and every chance I had I would buy any reasonably priced used one. Always rebuilt them and had one ready to go at all times. Parts come on sale from time to time. If you start blowing fuses usually string,.line etc stopping the chopper blade.

You can buy impellors for those--comes in a kit. Easy to rebuild. I used to have 3 on my boat and every chance I had I would buy any reasonably priced used one. Always rebuilt them and had one ready to go at all times. Parts come on sale from time to time. If you start blowing fuses usually string,.line etc stopping the chopper blade.
I should add-you should wire them in with some kind of quick change connection and your spare should be wired the same. I could change them off -shore and sort the busted one later. Usually something stuck.

You can split the pump open and clean it. I had one doing the same on my new boat after the first season on it. I pulled the pump and opened it up and it was full of build and installation gunk. It was an easy clean out and put together and its been good ever since.

Back