Looking to hire/charter 2 boats (or 1 large one) for some Hali Fishing on the Island

RockandReel

Hi, I'm posting this request on this fishing forum because I trust the opinion's and recommendations here, rather then guess from an online ad.

We are 2 families of four,(with small children) looking to go out and do some Hali fishing together. The wives and kids have never fished for Hali before. (Total 2 adults and 2 kids times 2) We would like to go out for 3-4 hours around slack tide and see how we do. If we catch something, hey, its a bonus. If not, we are not discouraged, its the fact that we went out on the water and had a great time together as a family and had fun. That's the real fishing in my opinion. :)

We would be coming from Vancouver, and would prefer it to be a weekend so the kids don't miss school. One day should be enough, but if weather permits, maybe 2 days??

So, if anyone knows where to steer us in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback or ideas on where to go/stay and who made the experience positive, and what the going rate is, etc.. :)

Thank you,

D.

How old are the kids? Hali fishing is something I wouldn't do with younger kids as they can't manage the good size ones and the fishing can be a bit slow relative to a kid's attention span.

Hali fishing

How old are the kids? Hali fishing is something I wouldn't do with younger kids as they can't manage the good size ones and the fishing can be a bit slow relative to a kid's attention span.

I would call Trevor at No Bananas. He seems to be dialed in to the Halibut.

I have heard good things about all of the above. I think Victoria/Sooke area would be a good location on the island for your family to fish Hali in the springtime. There may be more remote locations for fishing hard core Salmon and hali fishing up-Island but with younger kids, for a short half day trip or two ....and all Victoria has to offer a family/kids, its a great choice.
In Victoria area I'd recommend Wolf if he's available. See link below and go to my post #127 ( also DB's post #120 on same trip with photos)
Wolf can likely arrange a group charter/second boat.... (a '4 pack' is usually the max on 23-26' boat)

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?26109-Victoria-2014-Reports/page13

Re: Hali Fishing

Yes, I definetly understand those concerns. Two kids are 6 years, and the other two are 4 years. The dad's will probably end up doing all the work, but the kids are hooked on fishing. :) I think as long as they get a chance to hold a rod (with dad of course..), there will be nothing but smiles. That's one of the reasons we don't wanna do a full day. 3-4 hours max would be plenty. Its the quality, not the quantity. These kids are pretty good at keeping themselves busy, and if not, its called creative parenting right??? ;)

I'd like to thank those of you that have replied, I will enquire with all the above later this week.

Thanks again. D.:)

oh, when does the Hali fishing window close?, Have they changed it again?

You may have a tough time getting a 3-4 hour Hali charter as most do 5-6 hours as a minimum. All to do with set up time prior to you arriving, where you may have to run to, anchor set up and retrieval time, having enough time to get the fishing part done and then cleaning/filleting your catch. Then boat clean up afterwards....it ties up the better part of a day to do any Hali trip. I understand you don't want to keep the younger kids out to long but you may have to pay for the minimum time even if you decide to call it early.

If your going to Victoria call Blue Wolf Charters. I have fished for years up island, I went out with Roy last month, great guy and knows his stuff.

All good recommendations above.

Ask about a combo charter. Some time for hali and some time for salmon.
Best time of year for this is right now.

Took my 4 year old for first hali trip couple of weeks ago. He's hooked on fishing and I can't keep him out of the boat but found the hali fishing boring even though we caught 2 in a 4 hour trip. (both caught in the last hour)
He told me later that he may not come hali fishing next time. " I got tired of waiting and waiting" lol

Tips

All good recommendations above.

Ask about a combo charter. Some time for hali and some time for salmon.
Best time of year for this is right now.

Took my 4 year old for first hali trip couple of weeks ago. He's hooked on fishing and I can't keep him out of the boat but found the hali fishing boring even though we caught 2 in a 4 hour trip. (both caught in the last hour)
He told me later that he may not come hali fishing next time. " I got tired of waiting and waiting" lol

Tips

That was a good suggestion Tips gave. Pay a little more and do a combo trip. And with small kids those boats mentioned are very seaworthy. Any of them Blue Wolf, Tailspin, D&D ( not sure he is back yet), or maybe you can twist Pro fisher's arm LOL.

Another tip would be to get on your booking now.
There are only so many good hali tides in Victoria area and most charters will be booked or booking fast for these limited good tides on weekends.

Otherwise you are looking at Renfrew and I would not be doing the family trip to offshore grounds.

Tips

I recommend Elden from the Crab Shack. He has a huge comfortable Northwest boat and has lots of experience putting young kids onto fish. He has fished the area for years and knows some great fast action chicken holes. http://www.crabshacksportfishing.com/ If you need more room he also teams up with freshonefishingcharters. They are a deadly family friendly team.

Wow!! Thank you all for the information, Very helpful. I think the combo trip sounds like an awesome idea. Mom's even said if the kids got their fill of fishing, they can be dropped off, (with mom's of course..) and the dad's can go back out fishing. :0)

This is the kind of information you would not easily find, I love this FORUM!!! :O)

Wow!! Thank you all for the information, Very helpful. I think the combo trip sounds like an awesome idea. Mom's even said if the kids got their fill of fishing, they can be dropped off, (with mom's of course..) and the dad's can go back out fishing. :0)

This is the kind of information you would not easily find, I love this FORUM!!! :O)

I think you will find that most guides aren't in favour of the dropoff as it burns a lot of fuel running back and forth

Make sure the boat and skipper are Transport Canada certified. They will have a blue TC decal on the boat and a C registration number on the hull. Not all the guides are fully compliant. If they don't comply their insurance papers are worthless.

Back