Looking for advice on diesel heaters

Coyote Spooner

239C663C-DBB7-49F6-BBD1-AA2B107B737E.jpeg623D25AA-9269-43F5-A190-87C2BC2D1400.jpeg
I’m look for peoples experience with these heaters. I like the idea of the red one, as it has 4 42 mm vents. But it comes with a rotary dial control. The orange one has a digital control, but only has one big vent. I know this can be T’d or Y’d to get 2 vents. Does the digital control, act as a thermostat control? I’m guessing the rotary one would only control the fan speed?
I’m leaning towards the red one, as I like the smaller ducts, for routing and 4 vents.
Thanks

I personally don't like the digital control. My opinion is it's annoying. I don't want to read a bunch of little twirly crap and sit and stare at a little screen. Break out your glasses. I'd rather just turn it on or off and up and down.

I don't think it only controls the fan speed I think when the fan speed goes up the fuel pump speeds goes up as well. Think they work together

I've said it and lots of guys have said it on here many times. You'll need proper exhaust and a thruhull fitting along with that unit. The exhaust that comes with it, is an absolute pos. The fuel tank is also not worthy. There are kits that are now coming with a 1/8 dip tube for a small outboard day tank. We used to make them from copper tubing but now you can buy them separately and some come with it now.

I personally don't like the digital control. My opinion is it's annoying. I don't want to read a bunch of little twirly crap and sit and stare at a little screen. Break out your glasses. I'd rather just turn it on or off and up and down.

I don't think it only controls the fan speed I think when the fan speed goes up the fuel pump speeds goes up as well. Think they work together

I've said it and lots of guys have said it on here many times. You'll need proper exhaust and a thruhull fitting along with that unit. The exhaust that comes with it, is an absolute pos. The fuel tank is also not worthy. There are kits that are now coming with a 1/8 dip tube for a small outboard day tank. We used to make them from copper tubing but now you can buy them separately and some come with it now.
Yeah, the knob is definitely less complex and perhaps less to go wrong.
Survivor’s thread on extra’s was very informative. I’ll definitely be upgrading certain parts. Not worth the risk. I’m gonna delete the muffler and buy the parts you mentioned. Most likely from Planar, to get the better quality.

View attachment 87163View attachment 87164
I’m look for peoples experience with these heaters. I like the idea of the red one, as it has 4 42 mm vents. But it comes with a rotary dial control. The orange one has a digital control, but only has one big vent. I know this can be T’d or Y’d to get 2 vents. Does the digital control, act as a thermostat control? I’m guessing the rotary one would only control the fan speed?
I’m leaning towards the red one, as I like the smaller ducts, for routing and 4 vents.
Thanks
I purchased the red one with the 4 duct outlets from Vevor , was a little cheaper $165. Works great in fact I fired it up today after many months of not using it and it stared right up, gets real hot … you could almost roast a chicken at the outlets. As others have stated you will need some upgrades, thru hull, exhaust wrap/ insulation, outlet diffusers , fuel line etc. but the price point in comparison to the German models is hard to beat. The dial controls both fan speed and fuel input and like others have said given where it’s made I wanted a simple control , turn the dial up.

Facts. Great post

The mechanical switch works great in a cabin it has an internal temp sensor and keeps going until you build heat but depending where it’s mounted or how your boats setup (think open canvas) it may not work in all cases and for me was either on low or high there was no middle ground. I switched to the digital which lets you control the pump output or use the temp sensor it’s been good so far the only buttons I use is power and up/down. Spare metering pump and spare controller are necessary replacement items to keep on hand you’ll end up throwing most of the stuff out so don’t buy the expensive kit just get the basics and piece the rest together. In all likelihood you don’t need the 8kw 2 or 5 will be fine if you oversize them you’ll just fowl the injector up more running it on low and burn as much or more diesel.

Last edited:
There is no injector, nor is there a thermostat inside the dial controller. It's an orfice / nozzle just like an oil furnace. I there is a temp sensor mounted ontop the casting of the actual unit. That sensor provides a reading that tells the circuit board how to control the glow plug, and works in junction with the fan speed and fuel pump.

Last edited:
There is no injector, nor is there a thermostat inside the dial controller. It's an orfice / nozzle just like an oil furnace. I there is a temp sensor mounted ontop the casting of the actual unit. That sensor provides a reading that tells the circuit board how to control the glow plug, and works in junction with the fan speed and fuel pump.
Yep sorry for poor explaining “it” meaning your heater not the controller.

I would 100% go with one with a digital controller. You can make alot more adjustments and view different cycles of the unit and also it will display error codes if something goes wrong. Also get one with a remote, the digital controllers and remotes have built in thermostats in them. Also with the digital controllers you can switch the unit to hertzs mode instead of temp mode, allowing you to dial in the output way more precisely than in temp mode. Depending on what your installing it into, the all in one units are hard to beat. Also get a 5kw, the 8kw is the same but higher rate pump with more failures.

7F9F763E-BEF4-4D54-AD54-F41B8035493E.png
As I was searching Amazon I found this, as well. New model has come out? Bluetooth and a remote. My decision is getting harder. Lol
More money of course. I think the remote would be sufficient? Bluetooth would control and monitor it, when you’re off the boat?

Cummins.ca often have sales on Webasto heaters this time of year.
Of Note: The Wallas in my boat has had zero issues in the 3 years I've had my boat. It sits in the water year round at Reed point if that makes a difference

Cummins.ca often have sales on Webasto heaters this time of year.
Of Note: The Wallas in my boat has had zero issues in the 3 years I've had my boat. It sits in the water year round at Reed point if that makes a difference
I’ll check their website
I have a Wallas heater/cooktop. But don’t have wheelhouse heat and defrost. I like to use out boat in the winter and have the extra heat for drying gear too, while on anchor

The mechanical switch works great in a cabin it has an internal temp sensor and keeps going until you build heat but depending where it’s mounted or how your boats setup (think open canvas) it may not work in all cases and for me was either on low or high there was no middle ground. I switched to the digital which lets you control the pump output or use the temp sensor it’s been good so far the only buttons I use is power and up/down. Spare metering pump and spare controller are necessary replacement items to keep on hand you’ll end up throwing most of the stuff out so don’t buy the expensive kit just get the basics and piece the rest together. In all likelihood you don’t need the 8kw 2 or 5 will be fine if you oversize them you’ll just fowl the injector up more running it on low and burn as much or more diesel.
So you can just change the rotary for digital with no issues?
I see Amazon just sells the digital control

Update:
I took Brando’s advice and bought the 5K Vevor kit, he posted. Decided to get the digital controller. Knowing that a replacement controller or parts are inexpensive and available. I studied Survivor’s “Diesel heater extras” thread, to source out the upgraded parts necessary for a boat installation. I bought the Planar fuel tank, exhaust tube, SS clamps, exhaust drain fitting, and exhaust wrap. I chose to not get a muffler, based on Survivor and Ship Happens recommendations. This install took longer than I thought, but I made sure I measured multiple times before doing surgery on my boat. First step was cutting out for a new access hatch. Then I built a aluminum angle support structure and cut out holes for the heater air and intake air.69BE16A1-DE2A-4AB4-8C8C-D6FFE19407EF.jpegE59479C7-36C6-4088-B265-68DC3764FF48.jpegF08B3960-F966-4390-825C-198C3823611D.jpeg

Last edited:
6F8DE2C8-7C21-41F2-9099-20266129408C.jpeg
ED4FBB92-3208-4B4D-B550-085CF7DEFF53.jpeg
I used 4” aluminum dryer duct to draw air from my aft cabin and tied into an existing bus heater’s heater duct work. I routed the intake for combustion to the bilge near a bilge intake.
A516F9A2-1E9F-4629-8184-6810502E56FA.jpeg

Back