Looking for a VHF RADIO

JohnN

Hi i am in search of a vhf radio could be fixed or external as long it's got everything to get me going. I totally forgot about that vital piece or equipment untill some fellows in the forum reminded me about it in one of my post. I am located in Victoria bc, Uptown area. I will be traveling to nanaimo on saturday ao I could meet anywhere in between that day or somewhere in victoria. Thanks

But a new one at harbour chandler. Handhelds are not that expensive. If i have to abandon ship i want the vhf with me. I am never more that 5 or 6 miles from shore so range is ok. I fish from a 14 ft lund.

But a new one at harbour chandler. Handhelds are not that expensive. If i have to abandon ship i want the vhf with me. I am never more that 5 or 6 miles from shore so range is ok. I fish from a 14 ft lund.

Thanks for the info Robb i never thought about that if i had to abandon the boat but it totally makes alot of sense now that I think of it. I might have to go that route if i dont find anything before Saturday as I will be out that way anyways.

On a bigger boat you might want a mounted one with antenna. If never to far from shore a hand held is fine. Just my thoughts. There is a lady at Harbor Chandler who really knows the electronics...

VHFs you have to buy new anyway, once the MMSI is programmed its a PITA to change it or practically impossible.
try a GX2200 SH.

There is someone selling cobra handhelds on Facebook marketplace for pretty cheap. In Victoria

VHFs you have to buy new anyway, once the MMSI is programmed its a PITA to change it or practically impossible.
try a GX2200 SH.

So would not recommend buying a handheld used? Just I just need it for the emergency channels so I am alittle confused of when you say once the ( MMSI is programmed its a PITA to change it or practically impossible)

I am new to boats and gadgets sorry for the

So would not recommend buying a handheld used? Just I just need it for the emergency channels so I am alittle confused of when you say once the ( MMSI is programmed its a PITA to change it or practically impossible)

I am new to boats and gadgets sorry for the

Some Radios have a distress button. This will send your MMSI and your GPS location to the Coast Guard when pressed. The MMSI is a designated number that your vessel is given. So they know what they are looking for and who when the signal comes in.

I personally am going both ways. I am going to have one fixed mount and then a safety bag with a hand held inside just incase I have to abandon ship.

Safety is always a good thing to think about. It’s best to be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. No one wants to go for a swim but things happen especially in the ocean.

Last edited:
when you buy a modern VHF (yes including a handheld, i have a 600 with DSC) it comes with an MMSI set to 000000 from the factory. you then apply to industry canada (you DO have a ROC-M license, right ? you cant use a VHF radio without one) who assigns you an MMSI. this is your identity and no one elses. You program that into your VHF once and it freezes the number into its memory which cannot be reset again without sending it back to the factory.
for a handheld they give you an MMSI which is tied to you. for a fixed VHF they give you an MMSI tied to your vessel.
usually takes 3-4 weeks but its taken as long as 3 months to get my handheld MMSI.

try a GX2200 SH.

I'm not sure about other manufactures, but ICOM has great support in Canada and the process for resetting MMSI is pretty painless. I stopped by their office in Delta today and they reset the MMSI number in 10 minutes while I waited.

Hi i am in search of a vhf radio could be fixed or external as long it's got everything to get me going. I totally forgot about that vital piece or equipment untill some fellows in the forum reminded me about it in one of my post. I am located in Victoria bc, Uptown area. I will be traveling to nanaimo on saturday ao I could meet anywhere in between that day or somewhere in victoria. Thanks
Hi John, Sent you a PM.....

Back