Looking for a new Boat Motor

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
So I sold my Optimax today and am now looking at getting a new 4 stoke. Top of my list is the 175 Susuki, but my boat is rigged for Mercury so I am thinking of checking out the 150 EFI. Anybody have any experience with this motor good or bad? Also when do you think is the best time to buy? Should I start looking for a deal now or should I wait for the boat show?

change yer rigging:}

call breakers in bamfield. you will get the best price from gord.

So I sold my Optimax today and am now looking at getting a new 4 stoke. Top of my list is the 175 Susuki, but my boat is rigged for Mercury so I am thinking of checking out the 150 EFI. Anybody have any experience with this motor good or bad? Also when do you think is the best time to buy? Should I start looking for a deal now or should I wait for the boat show?

just put a 175 Suzuki on my 21 ft sea swirl just over 25 hrs on it but love is so far lots of power and good hole shot does 41 mph@5800 and 27 mph@4000 rpm with two big guys and full of fuel

I'm running those new 4 stroke mercs and they are awesome. Your merc controls and smart craft bolts right on

why is Susuki your first choice
Can't beat Mercury

Suzuki builds a great 150. At the moment mercury 150hp is best in class its a awesome engine. I have owned both and I have a 2016 mercury 150 right now I really like it.

why is Susuki your first choice
Can't beat Mercury

really? Based on my boating experience and talking with people about their outboard power the preferred order (all else equal) would be Yahama > Suzuki > Mercury. Of course not all else is equal so other things to consider are initial cost, warranty, maintenance costs (here's where merc drops IMO), proximity to mechanic, etc. I've owned many Yamaha's and 2 Suzuki's over the years and have always steered clear of Merc's and it has served me well. Everyone has different experiences however so best of luck in whatever you end up with.

The problem with Yamaha is the 175 is much too big physically to fit in the splash well of the boat. I wanted the 175 sus as it's smaller than the yami. But last time I talked to the dealer I was quoted 2500 for the rigging kit. Hard to justify that cost when I have perfectly good set of smart craft guages and the rigging to go with it. My optimax served me well for 4 years so I have no concerns about the quality of there product and would buy again.

The mercury has the large displacement it a 3.0. It's the lightest and has way less moving parts. I like the keep it simple part of the engine and its designed to be serviced by owners at home

really? Based on my boating experience and talking with people about their outboard power the preferred order (all else equal) would be Yahama > Suzuki > Mercury. Of course not all else is equal so other things to consider are initial cost, warranty, maintenance costs (here's where merc drops IMO), proximity to mechanic, etc. I've owned many Yamaha's and 2 Suzuki's over the years and have always steered clear of Merc's and it has served me well. Everyone has different experiences however so best of luck in whatever you end up with.
Agreed...if you and your buddies have had good service from a Yamy, Suzuki or Merc, you tend to lead toward that make.
Since the old Johnson Evenrude days, I have never run anything but Mercury and they have been outstanding.
So what do I know.

Back