Looking for a Guide in Victoria/Sooke

T

tightjer

Hi,

My friend and I are fairly new to the fishing game - we have a lot of heart but not much skill. I've found this forum to be a useful place for tips and I'm grateful to everyone that has responded to my questions.

Still...we're not having the luck that we'd like. We thought it would be a good idea to have a guide come out with us on our boat and tell us what we're doing wrong and set us on the right track. I'm looking for recommendations for a professional, experienced guide that would be up for coming out with us on the morning of Saturday, September 4th. We'd provide the boat and the gear; the guide would provide the local knowledge, experience, and expertise...and hopefully a fish or 2!

We have a 14' foot Double Eagle moored at West Bay so we usually fish around Victoria, but Sooke is an option. Unfortunately we only have a 50HP so it would be a bit of a haul to get out there.

If you or someone you know would be interested in this opportunity, please respond in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

That's a tough one , 3 guys in a 14' boat is not easy...
you would probly be better off to get 1 more buddy and charter
a boat/guide to show you the ropes.
You might get a deal on 1/2day charter on a cancellation.

If i were you , i would launch at pedder or becher bay
and troll a pink squirt about 20" behind a flasher and you will
get sockeye.

i would say if you can head to beecher or to sooke and try fishing there you might do better, guys who haved fished for a long time are having a hard time off of victoria right now

can you trailer your boat out that way? to sooke etc... i wouldnt go that far by boat in your case (or mine for that matter lol)

if you get out sooke way , do like craven says get something for sockeye in the water and giver her a go

I was in a different boat by going from Vic. waterfront to Sooke once before as a round trip. Pretty a loooong way!

Go in the guides' boat. I know I wouldn't want to try to produce in anyone's rig but my own. There are so many variables to a boat thats catchy.

Good luck.

it didnt sound like they had cash to spend, but if they do then yea for sure go on a guides boat, i dont know of any that would head out on someones else's (especially smaller boat)

( Mark )Highlights , Help that brotha out , get them to pay for the boat juice and some pops , show em how da fish man.. :D

FD...;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Give me a call and see what we can arrange 250 478-6433 :)

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Go in the guides' boat. I know I wouldn't want to try to produce in anyone's rig but my own. There are so many variables to a boat thats catchy.

Good luck.

Yes, it is a bit tougher to produce in someone elses boat - I do it all the time.

The main thing I do is try and get them set up so that they can find and catch fish for the rest of their fishing trip when they are on their own without a guide.

I show them how to rig tackle, how to rig anchovy/herring and set lines etc. Then I show them a number of different fishing holes and how to fish them. The goal is more to showing them how they can improve their fishing results for the few days or week that they are here, more than just producing fish on the one day we are out.

It's a lot cheaper for the guest than hiring the guide and his boat, I still make a fair wage and usually everyone is happy.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Sounds like you have a few solid leads.

Felix- FD, you still need to come down and show me how it's done LOLOL

Sounds like you've had a great summer.

:D

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Good luck.

Yes, it is a bit tougher to produce in someone elses boat - I do it all the time.

The main thing I do is try and get them set up so that they can find and catch fish for the rest of their fishing trip when they are on their own without a guide.

I show them how to rig tackle, how to rig anchovy/herring and set lines etc. Then I show them a number of different fishing holes and how to fish them. The goal is more to showing them how they can improve their fishing results for the few days or week that they are here, more than just producing fish on the one day we are out.

It's a lot cheaper for the guest than hiring the guide and his boat, I still make a fair wage and usually everyone is happy.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Hey .... interesting ....that a way a guide could get around the commercial vessel TC regs and cost of owning your own charter boat ? You wouldn't even need to own a boat !!! ....All you'd need is appropriate operators training. Just hire yourself out on others own personal pleasure crafts? That way, low overhead, no vessel TC regs to deal with, no boat repairs, no boat maintenance and little hassle. 50 bucks an hour ? hmmmm not bad supplemental income potential with little hassle. Plus if it was a piece of Cr*p boat , you could always decline the work!!

Back