Logging Road Access

The hard plastic caps on the stretchy stuff are what came with the rifle i purchased , i switched to the flip up's to be more stealthy .. also i may have been guilty of not having my bolt oiled enough.. soon as i slid my bolt closed the noise of it closing had the deer on the run .. i have since cleaned my rifle and done alot of practicing loading & cycling my bolt and working my two position safety... i know someone said it before about dry firing or at least practicing and it was something i hadn't given much thought to until the long ride home from the hills that day..

Ok, lets face it. We're going to just talk about island deer hunting on this thread period.

When I am alone hunting on foot I have one in the pipe ready to go with the safety on. Any other situation and its "bullets in bullets" out. This means I only load when there is a buck to shoot or shooting potential. Remembering that these situations can be exciting and it becomes easy to forget that you loaded another round after the shot it is so important to develop habits as taught in the PAL. Prove your weapon before you enter the truck, before you enter camp, before you get on the quad, after your done shooting a crater, after you just about shot at a crater,before you bring it in your house, when you run into another hunter and your alone, when a truck pulls up to you when your walking. It dumbfumles my mind how some people are careless with this issue given that it is other people that are most at risk by this person who has an accidental misfire.

In my 8 years of hunting I have seen 4 accidental discharges. They happen. I don't believe safety should be called safeties. While the mechanism may be safe it is the user that can make mistakes. Having a gun loaded with one in the pipe with the safety on is 2 steps from firing. Safety off, one step away, pull the trigger. In a case where all the sudden the safety is off and the user is unaware then that weapon is one step away from a accidental misfire.

I have hunted with people that take casually pointing their weapon at me. I don't like it and when they do and I say something and I get a reply like "i did not" or "its not loaded" or " the safety is on" or "only for a second", I never hunt with them again. They don't get it. When handling rifles with others you exchange responsibility for each others lives. I understand that I will have a gun pointed at me occasionally but when it happens and i say something the response better be an apology and absolute understanding that it is unacceptable. I do it to and when I do and I get called out I admit my mistake to my friend and work on reducing such instances.

When hunting with a buddy on foot and there is suddenly a deer to shoot I usually carry some loose rounds in my pocket so I can quietly slip the round in an quietly close the bolt which is something I practice. I don't spend a lot of time at the range any more so often while hunting I will do practice "theres one!" aim and dry fire on my target( a stump, rock or bush) just to get a feel for the trigger.

One coffee down one to go. Thats my rant for the morning. Gun safety gets me all fired up!

You bet Birdsnest, i take gun safety very seriously and religeously folllow the AcTs And Prove.. i was sitting my truck when mr buck louie popped up .. none in the chamber no clip in the gun , holding clip in my hand , had i been a reckless poacher it would have been dead deer , i got out of truck made about 60 steps while loading rifle and chambering a round...i did take the Canadian Firearms safety course 100% safe firearms practice here... did i mention my new 14 rifle cabinet .. girlfriend bought it for me for the birthday, aswell as being locked in the cabinet they have individual trigger locks Admin i need a pic flip, also this thread has been about hunting ever since i bought the rifle Its the secret hunting section inside SFBC and i appreciate everyones input as i know many of you are more knowledgable about hunting so keep them comments coming IMG_1560.JPG

Last edited:
Im pretty new to hunting. 8 years under my belt primarily blacktail hunting. I still have not had any success hunting the timber. Would love to get mentored on that cuz I obviously need help. I have one tag to go and lots of free time but Im just about broken. Not sure where to go to get'er done cuz there deer I'm the spots I know disappear due to pressure I believe. I'm stumped.

FYI: there is a guy from the island named Steve Isdhal that have been following on utube, face book and he has a website called howtohunt.com

He has and interesting app that contains video's that is pretty entertaining where he shares his knowledge on hunting black tails. check it out.

Thanks i will check it out , when i was talking to a CO on the phone about places
To hunt midweek for me he mentioned Gordon River I also read the highest concentration of deer on the island between Courtney and parksville.. i really enjoy just scouting around and finding a spot downwind on a logging cut or edge of field at first light .. i am lucky to have a friend or two to mentor me but again having the mid week weekend is tough to plan hunts,

Back