Logging Road Access

IMG_1483.JPG Thanks man, will give er a go next tuesday as i was down with a blown fuelpump, found these two buck hiding on a private dairy farm near duncan... lucky bucks , not sure how to flip pics on here ☝️

If you are going up behind Horne go in from Rosewall, there are more cut blocks and the road is in better shape. If you want to go in behind Alberni then go through Horne but it will be a slow go until you hit the bridge.

Well home a week early, tagged out, awesome time North Island, 2 bucks, not big but tasty and a monster male island wolf, called him in with the predator call. Outstanding week. Gates open and loggers giving help. Different than here in Vic. What now?

HM

Maybe I'm getting old but attitude seams different there than here in Vic. Retirement getting close for me also, time goes so fast, especially now that it takes me an hour to work and another hour home. Will be longer when Mackenzie overpass road work really gets going. Can't wait for more time to fish and hunt. Just read about the law suit by the FN to shut down Vics salmon fishing next year. What's next?

HM

JWmap1.jpg
If you are going up behind Horne go in from Rosewall, there are more cut blocks and the road is in better shape. If you want to go in behind Alberni then go through Horne but it will be a slow go until you hit the bridge.
Which road is Rosewall and where do i ebter from off the highway?

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 30442
Which road is Rosewall and where do i ebter from off the highway?

That's an old map you got there. It is the next major intersection after Horne lake. It has signs leading up to it on the Hwy. You will be turning left when heading north. It is the north turn if you are heading into deep bay. It is well marked on the Hwy. If you stay on the main line heading south you will
Drive right back to Horne lake.

Good
Luck.

I too have heard that rcmp are patrolling on quads and taking people's quads away behind gates.
In many many other country's around the world they have forestry lands laws for private land that is not developed. Thes landsmust be accessible for public recreation purposes to the public. Yes there are many issues and it seems to be somewhat controversial but this island isn't getting any bigger and there isn't going to be less people any time soon. 25 percent of the island is private and behind gates and all in the south. It sucks!
I'm always a bit devided on the issue. On one hand gates protect the game from pitlampers, poachers, ceremonial hunting privlages so there are actually animals to hunt behind those gates. On the other hand where there are no gates around port alberni for example not much opportunity for the average joe to harvest a deer.

Some interesting reading on this topic of private land use for the public:

http://bcwf.net/files/Enhancing_Public_Access_to_Privately_Owned_Wild_Lands.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

Last edited:
JW Scope1.jpg
Stolen cars, illegal dumping , vandalism and liability are the main issues i think, seen a real nice buck yesterday .. almost had a bead on him before he slipped into the timber .. god dam flip Up scope caps.. rethinking my purchase on those ....i am just glad there are places not gated i am able to hunt durring the week

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 30461 Stolen cars, illegal dumping , vandalism and liability are the main issues i think, seen a real nice buck yesterday .. almost had a bead on him before he slipped into the timber .. god dam flip Up scope caps.. rethinking my purchase on those ....i am just glad there are places not gated i am able to hunt durring the week

You will get used to them Jeff (scope caps); I have blamed one deer this season on my caps and fogged up scope but I know it was me learning more than the excuse. You just need to get used to the panic that ensues when you actually see a buck and get the fever!

Reason I use the hard plastic caps with the elastic. remove in seconds, see and shoot thru if need be for close ups. Stretchy stuff is cheap and replace every few years and they keep lenses as clean/clear as all other types do. To much wasted time and lost opportunities (African wildcat, island deer, bushbuck, and a few more) from using the flip ups. They make for every size scope, 28, 30, 33, 40 and so on, work for me.

HM

You have to keep your lenses covered out there but I periodically check my scope through the day and always carry paper towel in a sandwich ziplock for my scope and my bino's. on the best days its raining so hard no mater what you do you can barely use the bino's but you have to have covers for your scope and check those lenses as you go through your day.

Seen one of these Jeff?

http://www.primos.com/products/deer-calls/the-original-can-2/

I hadn't before last year, called in 1 last season and 1 this season with it. Not sure if they're the best thing out there but for $20 it's worked awesome for me.
Cool man, my buddy used his call the other day and the the buck stood up from behind the stump he was hiding behind.
You will get used to them Jeff (scope caps); I have blamed one deer this season on my caps and fogged up scope but I know it was me learning more than the excuse. You just need to get used to the panic that ensues when you actually see a buck and get the fever!
haha exactly.. leason learned , my buddy had him in his sites and could have easily put him down in one shot but he said it would have been way more fun for him to see me
get my first buck..i know i am running short of season and am limited as to where i can hunt mid island durring the week but will keep at it..

Reason I use the hard plastic caps with the elastic. remove in seconds, see and shoot thru if need be for close ups. Stretchy stuff is cheap and replace every few years and they keep lenses as clean/clear as all other types do. To much wasted time and lost opportunities (African wildcat, island deer, bushbuck, and a few more) from using the flip ups. They make for every size scope, 28, 30, 33, 40 and so on, work for me.

HM
The hard plastic caps on the stretchy stuff are what came with the rifle i purchased , i switched to the flip up's to be more stealthy .. also i may have been guilty of not having my bolt oiled enough.. soon as i slid my bolt closed the noise of it closing had the deer on the run .. i have since cleaned my rifle and done alot of practicing loading & cycling my bolt and working my two position safety... i know someone said it before about dry firing or at least practicing and it was something i hadn't given much thought to until the long ride home from the hills that day..

Tried to hunt Port Renfrew yesterday as I was told gates are open. Not true, every gate locked. Really sucks, not sure who owns land up there or why all gates were locked. Even gate 2km on an old road was locked. Puzzles me, leaning towards the fact that maybe the logging companies think they own access rights? Anyone got a couple acres to buy in Campbell River?

HM

Back