Logging Road Access

halimark

Anyone confirm if Butler Main and Comox Lake main are open on weekends for hunting access? They had an awesome plan and access last year, what about this year?

HM

Heard co's are active taking hunters guns away for trespassing on timerwest land during weekdays .no camping in undezignated unserviced sites anytime on Timberwest lands .Find Leeanne Ander . ph# on the website and ask her.

Last edited:
Are all bush roads on the island "gated " or closed to public access? I'm from the Okanagan and bush roads are all wide open here. Noticed on our annual island trips that many bush/back roads are closed and public access is barred. Not crown land?

Are all bush roads on the island "gated " or closed to public access? I'm from the Okanagan and bush roads are all wide open here. Noticed on our annual island trips that many bush/back roads are closed and public access is barred. Not crown land?

Very few back roads on the island are wide open, only FSR roads are ungated for the most part and gravel highways, the rest of the lands are owned by Island Timberlands, Timberwest and WFP and are gated and closed to the public during the week and a lot of areas are closed altogether.

Huh. That's too bad. How'd that come about? Up here there's woodlots owned by the mills but the land is public. Only gates or fences we see are barb wire and cattle guards to keep free range cows up in the woods.

Thanks Fish Camp. Will do, was hoping for a repeat of last year where members of BCWF with proper safety, membership and insurance were allowed in. Yes most island timber land is private, I can honestly say from my 30 yrs here I understand why land is gated. There are more jerks than outstanding users. Beer cans all over then the bush is of course a garbage disposal place. Even "normal" hunters sighting in their guns cant pick up old targets, brass or junk. Makes me wish for a US type of plan. Club member stewardship and payment gets you access.

HM

Huh. That's too bad. How'd that come about? Up here there's woodlots owned by the mills but the land is public. Only gates or fences we see are barb wire and cattle guards to keep free range cows up in the woods.

Govt have the TFL's to the companies, they in turn over the years shut down the mills and now export the majority of the timber with the exception of WFP, they still have a few mills on the island trying to make a go of it, but as for the other 2, they export everything and gate there lands and open them on weekends.

I understand the reasoning for the forest companies to gate the access after so much vandalism and garbage dumping but come on.... my weekend falls on tuesday wednesday so where am able to hunt ????

Your pretty limited during the week Jeff. Private lands are closed to the public during the week days. Read the fine print on there websites. I have heard that RCMP and CO's are patrolling there lands as well during the week.

Ya this Sucks ... hope i can find a chunk of private land or im screwed... i get it though,active logging and such going on i wouldnt want people hunting either i guess ...

Find some crown land/FSR access. Very little logging in these areas due to stumpage costs. There's always the good ole power lines as well. Good
Luck.

Let me know when ya go and blast some pigeons and I will bring a box.

Yes I am going North, just did the Jordon River roads last weekend, even past the rough washouts, there should be gates at the bottom with no access. The place disgusted me, new beer cans and garbage, shot up TV, fridge, furniture and shotgun shells by the 1000s were everywhere. We picked up 49 cns in 3 KM of lower road. WTH I guess the guys back yards are also treated and look like that. What would possess a person to throw the cans on the road, shoot TV's and leave all your target stuff there? Spoke with the wood permit guy. As for butler last years trial cost the company many $ with vandalism to an excavator and someone crapped on the seat of some other equip. So this year NO ACCESS. If we cannot patrol ourselves and act like decent people then a few ruin it for all. Again I say a US type system. Pay to play. Wonder what type of people would use their roads if there was an annual $1000 trespass fee, electronic individual key access and an annual mandatory cleanup road/trail day. I'm in, my outdoor time is worth it.

Are the roads north still open. I heard more respectable people live up there still.

HM

Been working on finding some private farmland i can hunt on mid island area ,when you say north do you mean North island? Or Northern BC??

Did 2- two week trips this year to Northern BC, no tags punched, now looking for 2 weeks on island to look for the elusive BT.

HM

Maybe tow the boat and do the mainland inlet look for a couple weeks. Not as many gates or disrespectful pers there.

HM

I did also here Horne lake was open durring the week for hunting can anyone confirm? , also any forest service roads that are not run by timberwest?

Back