Log splitter

I have the 4 ton electric job from Can Tire, Scott. It works well. I bought it on sale, I think for 200 bucks.

It exceeds what I thought it was going to be capable of. It’s not like the big gas ones but for 200 bucks, what the hell.

I'm using a pretty heavy duty one my buddy lent me to do a **** ton of splitting at our cabin right now. Burning a bunch of old cedar to clear land and stock piling some alder and arbutus. It's got an 8hp motor with a 15 ton hydraulic cylinder. It's overkill for sure for smaller stuff but for really hard woods it doesn't hesitate. The thing I think you will want to do though right away is to either buy or weld up a 4 way splitter blade for it. Saves so much time splitting into 4 pieces right away rather than re running all your two piece splits. Just make sure the plate at the cylinder end is super beefed up so it doesn't bend when trying to push hard pieces into the 4 way split blades.

60480029_614469729054603_2748102277083430912_n.jpg

60663854_614469722387937_6603929520917446656_n.jpg

20190520_140345.jpg

I’ve used the 5 ton electric from cdn tire for years. Split about 4-5 cords of larch a year. Haven’t encountered a situation where I wasn’t able to split a 18” piece.

Because of its size, I set it on my tailgate and split as I unload.

X2 on the crap tire splitters.
They work awesome for the price.

I’ve actually rented the gas powered hydraulic splitters and the electric Canadian tire ones will split just as fast, maybe faster.

Canadian Tire 4 Ton electric has been working for me for about 7 years. When it wouldn't run, got motor run capacitor for free, plus a spare. Couldn't complain if I wanted to.

I have the crappy tire 4 ton as well for a year so far and it’s been good. No heavy use out of it but it’s good for the cabins wood supply. I haven’t tried out a four-way splitter with it yet so I don’t know how it will do with that. But I got it for under $300 so money well spent I guess.

I also run the Canadian Tire electric splitter. I have used it a lot and as said above, I was surprised at the size of the pieces it was able to split. Being electric, I am able to talk and listen to music while I sip on a beer and split wood.

Back