Local Guide/Lodge Supports Quota buying of HALIBUT!!!

That "who is worse" debate has been hashed out many times without success, will always end with points both ways and agreeing to disagree. So not going to touch that. The point here is about the flaws in this quota license program. The #1 conservation control for recreational angers is the daily and possession limit. Having more than you're allowed is de facto a breach ... easy to assess, easy to enforce. Simply having the fish makes it an obvious crime. The quota system eliminates the one basic control they have. There's already not enough enforcement -- I can see this program, if adopted widely, as eliminating DFO's ability to police halibut fishing at all. Bonus for unscrupulous anglers ... everyone else pays. That's a flawed program.

have to agree that the program as sits today has flaws.

So then why support a flawed program?? The quota system is flawed.... and illegal

Information from a email received today from from John Murray of Pacific Safari's Charters. Not clear to me at all what he is trying to say by sending this out?

This is a good read, the section “Allocation of Halibut for the commercial and recreational fishing sectors” It lets you know where we are today. Cheers

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/commercial/ground-fond/halibut-fletan/index-eng.htm#Halibut_Experimental_Recreational_Fishery_Program

An excpert from page 16 of the above referenced report that indicates a bias in support of the commercial sector over the recreational sector IMHO.

"The third option, and the option I recommend, is to base the allocation on current data. Over 2000 and 2001, the commercial catch and the recreational catch averaged10,627,000 lbs. and 1,018,000 lbs., respectively, totaling 11,645,000 lbs. (plus wastage and First Nations’ food, social and ceremonial). The recreational share was just under 9 per ent. In my view that is a useful figure for allocation in the future."

I'm not Google friendly, so after a few unsuccesful attempts, I was unable to find anything that would indicate exactly how many people bought quota last year.
Does anyone have a link?
Does anyone personally know someone that did?
late to the reply here, but there were 157 enquiries, 60 issued with a quota of 4382 lbs. 3995 lbs were returned for a net usage of 447 lbs and only 222 lbs accounted for.

i wonder who the 60 ppl were and i also wonder why there were 157 inquiries but only 60 licenses issued...

Remember last year when this came out some of us went on the website to tell them what we thought of there idea.
Others cautioned that they would use the numbers for support of the program.
So now we have 157 inquiries that DFO can say they were interested in the program.
Let's not make that mistake again.
GLG

Define your actions.

Robincarnation!:p

IMO you should all mind your own business. If he is williing to try something different and develope a business plan that helps to build a sustainable fishery then good on him. Obviously he understands ITQ's and the ability to plan that goes with it. I will be surprised if he is the only one.

IMO you should all mind your own business. If he is williing to try something different and develope a business plan that helps to build a sustainable fishery then good on him. Obviously he understands ITQ's and the ability to plan that goes with it. I will be surprised if he is the only one.

lol - in other words you guys figured out this a-holes M.O. - remind us why you are here fish4all, is there an ignore function on this board?

Back