Live and learn!?

seagal

I put Scotty braided line on my down riggers,thinking that was the right thing to do. The blow back is harsh! I'm not happy at all with this product.Sounds like Power Pro is the answer as I have read many different forums related to this. I'd like to hear how the power pro is working for you and if I were to switch how can I attach my clips and auto stops without them sliding as sometimes I stack my down riggers. Any advise would be appreciated.

Power Pro Is awsome!
I use 200Lb Run the power pro then attached to snubber
You have to use the red scotty clips for the stops they are meant for braid

if you like to stack just make sure your clips are tight on the braid you may have to bend them a bit
or you can put two red stops on with space between and then clip in between them

150lb power pro is also great stuff.
I would never go back to wire.
I run a 3' section of ganyon with a swivel to the braid.
(swivel is the auto stop)
release clips grip the ganyon fine.

I use 130# with no problems - no need at all go over 150#. Just use a snubber or a section of ganion line to absorb any shock.

Like so many, I'll never go back to wire.

How do you connect the power pro to the the swivel or rubber. I bought some 150lb test braid. Is there a certain knot to use. I tied an 11lb weight using the fisherman's knot and lost the weight as soon as I let it down a bit into the water, looked like it just broke off. So I need the scoop before losing anymore of that expensive lead.

I understand the Triple Palomar knot is apparently recommended by some braided line manufactures and if tied correctly is one of the few knots where the knot strength actually exceeds the strength of the line. Great for braided line but apparently not that good for mono.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Palomar knot..

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php
Okay, you guys are really starting to confuse me? [?]

I know of the "Palomar" and have been using it for years, but then you start talking about a "double" palomar, and showing a link to a "sugeons" knot:

And, now you are talking about a "Triple" Palomar? [?]
quote:Originally posted by Rockfish

I understand the Triple Palomar knot is apparently recommended by some braided line manufactures and if tied correctly is one of the few knots where the knot strength actually exceeds the strength of the line. Great for braided line but apparently not that good for mono.
I would love see how you are tying a "triple" Palomar? [?]

quote:Originally posted by Rockfish

Charlie.
This animation shows how a Triple-Palomar is tied. http://www.marinews.com/Triple-Palomar-Knot-186.php

Not sure how to do the Hyperlink, so you may have to type it in if it does not work.
Thanks!
I thought just for a brief moment... there was a better knot than what I was using, as I am very familiar with the Palomar, but since I use 25 pound test I guess not"
"The Triple Palomar knot has a small margin of suitable lines, 3kg (7lb) through to 4kg (17lb).
The Triple Palomar knot is better suited to hooks with a turned-down or turned-up eye. The triple Palomar is an effective super line knot that is not inclined to slip."

But hey, it was worth a look? :D

Hi Charlie
Yea I read that in the article, yet there seems to some differences of opinion on the applicability of the Double and Triple Palomar knots for high test braided lines. I sent the link because it shows how to tie the Triple Palomar, but I see the article itself seems to be talking about line size limits for use with small hooks, fly fishing and possibly monofilament line. I suspect it does not mean it would not be appropriate for braided line in other applications. Western Filament recommends the Triple Palomar by name for their braided fishing lines from the lighter 50 lb test up to extremely heavy deep sea fishing lines. When you buy their braided line they print the knot information on the inside of the box. This does not mean that a Double or Triple Palomar would necessarily be good for all brands of braided line, but I don’t see why not.
They also recommend and show how to tie (on the box) another double loop knot for braided line which I really like and use a lot, but I am not sure what it is called. It is kind of like a double line reverse Buzz Bomb knot. It provides a great extra strong, non slip, tapered knot as opposed to the square, more clunky but extremely strong Palomar family of knots. I love it for braided line but it does not work well at all with heavy monofilament. It will not cinch up in nice tapered coils the way the braided line does and wraps over itself which could cut against itself causing greatly reduced knot strength.

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Just curious, doesn't PowerPro void your warranty? :(
Yes Charlie,this is why I purchases Scotty braided line. Seems to me though, by the replies, Power Pro is the way to go warranty or not.Priority is I have to be able to read my downrigger to be able to fish properly.With the blow back I'm experiencing I can't. As far as stacking I'm going to try BigChrome's idea of using the red Scotty stoppers above and below the clip as well as for the auto stop.Thanks for the replies.I'll keep you guy's posted.

Not sure if it helps with the warranty, but I put on ~50 of parachute cord and then attached the Braid to the spool. I think it acts like the backing on Mooching and Fly reels. So far no problems.
I tun 130 lbs line.

What are other opinions on this. Will it protect the spool or am I dreaming??:D

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

seagal
I've been running the same scotty dynema for 4 or so years, the only time I have any issue with blow back is in major current, I also use a 15lb ball, instead of writing it off maybe you can get it working for you, it shouldn't be that bad. I might check out the power pro next time but I've been more than satisfied with the dynema,

seagal
I've been running the same scotty dynema for 4 or so years, the only time I have any issue with blow back is in major current, I also use a 15lb ball, instead of writing it off maybe you can get it working for you, it shouldn't be that bad. I might check out the power pro next time but I've been more than satisfied with the dynema,

I am with you all on the scotty dynema. Blows too far back if you get any line out. OK above 100ft. I am currently using 150 lb pawerPro with a few Wraps of ganging(sp?) on the spool and a length on the working end to a snubber to the 15lb ball. Swivel acts as stopper trip and the ganging is good to clip the release clip on. Hangs nice and straight in shallow fishing and gives the option of fishing deep deep deep if you want.

I am with you all on the scotty dynema. Blows too far back if you get any line out. OK above 100ft. I am currently using 150 lb pawerPro with a few Wraps of ganging(sp?) on the spool and a length on the working end to a snubber to the 15lb ball. Swivel acts as stopper trip and the ganging is good to clip the release clip on. Hangs nice and straight in shallow fishing and gives the option of fishing deep deep deep if you want.

Back