Lingcod

Pumper

We were stopped by coast guard/fisheries to day. We were in area 27 and had a ling on board. We were told that you only had to Mark your lings on licence if you were on the inside like area 12. Is this right I thought you had to write all lings on your licence?

We were stopped by coast guard/fisheries to day. We were in area 27 and had a ling on board. We were told that you only had to Mark your lings on licence if you were on the inside like area 12. Is this right I thought you had to write all lings on your licence?
Only need to record Lings on the inside of the island. Sooke, all the way around to… somewhere northern island. Check the regs.

Most west coast areas have no annual limit for lingcod
Link below shows daily/possession/annual limits
Limits can change so always check before you go

X5. Thanks....

While on the subject of recording Lings on licence
In case anyone wasn’t aware (or read the fine print above) you can now record your catch online. Same DFO website you buy your licence from.
Did this recently after keeping a ling without a licence on board and is pretty easy. Just make sure you have good reception where you’re going as I don’t think “my phone isn’t working” excuse would go over well
Next time you go to print a license that registered catch is filled in automatically

Attachments

• 7AB67180-77CF-4CD5-BCBD-4F0CCF3C65A6.jpeg
    7AB67180-77CF-4CD5-BCBD-4F0CCF3C65A6.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 65B2CC28-D1E0-4CD0-963B-AC917F446690.png
    65B2CC28-D1E0-4CD0-963B-AC917F446690.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
X5. Thanks....

While on the subject of recording Lings on licence
In case anyone wasn’t aware you can now record your catch online. Same DFO website you buy your licence from.
Did this recently after keeping a ling without a licence on board and is pretty easy. Just make sure you have good reception where you’re going as I don’t think “my phone isn’t working” excuse would go over well
Next time you go to print a license that registered catch come pre-typed in the first slot so it permanently added
How would a officer deal with the fact that it's recorded incorrectly? The area information is in the date section and there is no actual date recorded. If I recorded my catch like that and got checked on the water with a ling on board, I can imagine at least a few extra questions.

How would a officer deal with the fact that it's recorded incorrectly? The area information is in the date section and there is no actual date recorded. If I recorded my catch like that and got checked on the water with a ling on board, I can imagine at least a few extra questions.
Yeah noticed that. I don’t see it being a problem though. One of your 10 lings for the year has been accounted for. The only time the date would really matter to a fisheries officer is the day they check you, make sure if you record in ink on the day that you fill in the date. All previous dates are basically irrelevant
They should fix that though

Back