Lingcod

I love these fellas, had some problems trying to catch them lately. nayone wanna share their techniques/secrets?

Look for fast water the faster the water the more the lings also lots of structure the hungrier the bottom the more the lings for lings and snapper I use nothing but Berkley power mullets 6-7 inch no other plastic works as well. they even outfish live perch. 33% location 33% lure 33% fishermen. Fish 40 to 300

Cheers

I prefer a lead jig with a single assist hook and line attached at the head end to cut down on snags. Brand doesn't matter. I like to get right up beside the kelp or behind a wash rock in 30-80 feet.

I just use largish Spinnows that I repaint so they are either totally white or white with a thin black line on the back ridge. I found this color works best although they will take other colors as well.

Rocky reefs, depths from 50ft to 130ft. Get right down to bottom then come up a foot or two. Many times they will hit on the first drop.

Tide going from low to high.

Most of the Lings caught in summer on reefs are males if they are under 15lbs. The big females come in during the mid-winter months and spawn in shallow. Then the males stick around guarding the egss and they stay there anyway during summer. The females take off back out to deeper water after spawning. If you want huge females (they are the ones that grow 5ft long and weigh the most) then you will do better on outer reefs in deeper water ( 100ft to 500ft). That's probably why the DFO curtails Ling fishing in the winter to save the spawning females.

Lings tend to like something that is moving or has an action of somekind.

If you just hang a piece of squid in front of them and it is inert and not moving at all, they probably won't strike.

Sometimes I will jig like crazy to arouse their interest (just make the jig flop around a lot) then go dead still for a second. This sudden stop they perceive as weakness....and often they will hit right then.

I like the Berkeley Power Mullets as well. They have a swimming action to them and the hooks are on the top of them so there is less bottom hook ups. I have lots of packages of them here if you'd like to buy a couple and give them a go.

I like whole herring on a spreader bar or lead fish jigs, but the best bait is when you hook a kelp greenling and lower it back down, even the most stuffed full ling can't resist grabbing hold of one of those.

Thanks everybody! I'm going on a trip with my dad in an hour or so, to go fish for these. thanks for the tips! do you just jig the herring with an ounce of lead, or what?

Wow man spreader bar for lings that's crazy lol . Will get very expensive!! We boated close to 60 lings last month they wouldn't hit anything else but the Berkley mullets guys who use there own gear on my boat quickly change to mullets . True no joke got photos to prove it. Many members on here will assure you there like candy too lings and snapper. A bit of a hassle as you need more weight but the results are worth it. Also the Hali's love em but for some reason not when on the hook.

Cheers

Hey fishtank not sure where your number went or if I have it but pm me it. I have and used 5-6 inch single hook and also a different 5 inch double hook and 7 inch double hook. Everybody is different on what to use but these things are deadly for me and all that fish close to us. i have a lifetime supply. My boat goes through around 125 a year with around 20-30 different family and friends fishin my boat. I can shoot you some photos. My theory is 33% 33% 33%. My buddy has a few hundred in Victoria but they don't bottom fish much there only salmon.

Forgot to mention there weighted and rigged. I have a crazy amount of confidence in these lures so maybe that's why they work so well for us.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow man spreader bar for lings that's crazy lol . Will get very expensive!! We boated close to 60 lings last month they wouldn't hit anything else but the Berkley mullets guys who use there own gear on my boat quickly change to mullets . True no joke got photos to prove it. Many members on here will assure you there like candy too lings and snapper. A bit of a hassle as you need more weight but the results are worth it. Also the Hali's love em but for some reason not when on the hook.

Cheers

yeah, expensive if you lose them, but I've got 65 lb braid and if you back the boat up they mostly come off bottom. I use a 1 lb weight and a tandem hook setup, works great in the fast water where I usually fish. That said it doesn't usually take long to catch a nice one and as my step dad says ' you can put a hook on a door knob and catch ligncod with it''

Lol if your not losing some gear your not prime areas lol. Also I beg to differ all fish are picky to some extent. Point proven this year where I fish one boat in the same exact area only got 3 quil backs in more time then us ,4 guys fishing per boat. We got 12 lings 8 snappers and 4 quil backs. Whatever anybody has confidence in they use. also for Hali people think Hali are not picky I have underwater footage that shows otherwise. I love the doornob thing though ill try it next year. Greenling and small rock fish are great but not really Sapose to use them.

Man I need to get fishing again.

Cheers

If I can find them in Nanaimo I'll have to give those mullets a try, although I don't really like the name, reminds me of the 80' s hairdo I had in high school ha ha.

Back