Line Quality differences???

Sitkaspruce

So I am doing a little on-line shopping and see that Berry's has finally got a new internet site that you can find your way around in. I was looking at what line they offer.

I have always been a Maxima UG fan, but I see that Berrys has Berkley Big Game on for $11 for a 600 yard spool, #25 in Solar Green or I could pay $41 for 660 yards of UG.

My question....is there that much of a difference between the two in quality or is UG just marked up a ton because it sells? Is BG good enough for the rigors of salmon fishing? I have never used it.

I want to try the Solar Green as my wife is new to salmon fishing and she has difficulty picking up the line in the water.

Cheers

SS

I haven't had too much luck with the Big Game line. I've found it tends to nick much easier and doesn't weather (i.e. last) as long. I'm a Ultra Green fan myself but...dare I say...have used the bright pink Maxima line and have had a lot of positive results. It is easy to see and can be purchased on bulk spools and most importantly, my wife can see it and likes it.

While I prefer Maxima UG for mainline, occassionally I buy bulk Ande line and would consider Big Game (I keep an eye on the top 50 ft and cut it out when I see signs of wear). I stick with Maxima UG for leaders.

I prefer Berkley I.G.F.A class line(NOT big game).. you know exactly what you are getting..has done better than maxima UG for me..I have just bought the new ELECTRIC blue line..I have not yet used it..But you pay a hefty price for igfa line..but at the cost of flashers, terminal tackle and the odd seal(never lost gear yet) on it is worth it for me.

Sitka
I am a big fan of Maxima as well, I have used it on all my Walleye gear out here in AB. I don't usually run more than 12# test out here though, 6 & 8# being the most common. But like you I came across a good deal on Berkley BG when I was rigging up my gear to go to QCI last summer.
So I put the same 25# green line on all 6 rods. We did a whack of fishing over the summer with only 2 break offs, one which was ALCOHOL related :D.
We would usually strip off 15-20 ft before re-tying and checked the line condition quite often.
I have done a fair bit of deep sea fishing as well and have seen Berkley BG being used quite frequently with good results.
I would not be scared to use it, as long as it hasn't been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years.

I switched to Mustad yellow hi vis for fishing off shore so you can track where the fish is running in the swells. Works great, no issues and reasonably priced when you buy the mega spools (10,000 yards). One thing I also do is change the line two to three times a season due to high use.

i have fished most of the good lines i now use berkley big game hi test its strong thin shock resistant color electric green also available in clear

The Solar green by Trilene(Berkley) now discontinued is being flogged at very low prices. Yes it is very tough and the flourescent green colour is designed to inhibit UV deterioration.

The drawback to this line however is it exhibits alot of memory. I do not like the way it and other lines like it tend to jump right off my spool before I tell it to.

Ultra green by Maxima is a very supple line. Because it is so limp yet very abrasive resistant, I find it difficult to justify any other line when it is so readily available.

My 2 cents.

quote:Originally posted by highlights

The Solar green by Trilene(Berkley) now discontinued is being flogged at very low prices. Yes it is very tough and the flourescent green colour is designed to inhibit UV deterioration.

The drawback to this line however is it exhibits alot of memory. I do not like the way it and other lines like it tend to jump right off my spool before I tell it to.

So in other words, this would not be recommended for a new to salmon fishing wife, who is trying to get a handle on single action reels and be able to play a fish with one? Is it really stiff and will not spool well on single action reels? Will it jump off while fighting a fish?

Thanks for all your info so far guys.

SS

Ande Green is what I've used for years it's great stuff no problems and I can see why it's so popular in the USA, great price too.

Maxima is a quality product but too expensive for what it is.

That Mustad has a tough feel to it without too much spring but haven't used any.

I saw a demonstration on Gamma line. I was impressed with it strength. When you test it against a Mono-Filament with the same diameter you will be amazed. I always chose Berkley Big Game but will consider the Gamma now.

After using just about every brand of line out there,My vote has to go with maxima.ties beautifully,has great shock resistance and doesn't get all curly-cued after use.That being said,I am currently using berkeley big game because it was such a sweet deal-I can respool 3 or 4 times this year for the price of one spool of maxima.
I also change the leader on any prerigged mustad product.Great hoochies,terrible line!

Back