Lets talk Downrigger Braid

I used the swivel as well for a while but soon learned it's not necessary
In fact it's another fail point.
I don't use a swivel anymore like Scott, it is an unnecessary fail point. I have had the 2/0 swivel break on me when I got caught in a large wad of kelp, even though I changed the swivels out when all the nickel plating disappeared. I also believe I had a break off once when the swivel jammed in the pully (not positive on this but it is the only reason I could determine for the break).
...Rob

take a 12" loop do a three over hand knot in your main downing rigger braid .... wet it and pull it up tight you now should have about a 6" loop

then take the green gangion and form about a 8" loop tied with a double over hand knot forming a 4" loop on the other end attach you swivel / snap for the cannon ball to attach all you need to do is thread and one end through the loop and join the two together

loop to loop
no need for a swivel at all

and it acts as the auto stop just make your gangion long enough... i run mine about the lenght where it hits the stop and the ball is still in the water ..... i can then just tease them up if i wish to be completely out

As far as braided line goes-If you're dragging 20lb balls use 250lb or suffer the losses. Be sure if you're using swivels that they fit through the pulley on your DR. Tuna cord. para cord, halibut ganion, heavy tarred mending twine, and many other types of twine will suffice depending on what you have on hand will work for cannon ball connections. Having a good set of crimpers is an asset if you want a nice tidy looking set up.
Basically, run what you're comfortable with, what you can afford, and in most cases what you have on hand will work saving you even more money.

As far as braided line goes-If you're dragging 20lb balls use 250lb or suffer the losses. Be sure if you're using swivels that they fit through the pulley on your DR. Tuna cord. para cord, halibut ganion, heavy tarred mending twine, and many other types of twine will suffice depending on what you have on hand will work for cannon ball connections. Having a good set of crimpers is an asset if you want a nice tidy looking set up.
Basically, run what you're comfortable with, what you can afford, and in most cases what you have on hand will work saving you even more money.
I was wondering about the tarred net line. I have a roll for mending my old prawn traps and always wondered what it's breaking strength would be. Seemed like good stuff to use instead of the thicker parachord I have now

Back