Lets talk Downrigger Braid

Thanks to this thread if I loose a cannon ball I won’t feel like I just made it rain money over the side of the boat.

I decided to keep the one swivel so I could attach the clip to it and I braided the seine twine so the only knot is braid to the swivel.

Attachments

• 12ACA4E7-08E7-4302-9FAA-ECA60E0D750A.jpeg
    12ACA4E7-08E7-4302-9FAA-ECA60E0D750A.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 54B8A0DB-0E07-42A5-8879-F6A1734420BD.jpeg
    54B8A0DB-0E07-42A5-8879-F6A1734420BD.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 199
Just wanted to report in. A year ago I switched back to wire. From braid. I go straight wire to ball. I use 18s and and set the rigger with a scale to retract at 40 lbs. I fish bottom quite a bit. My ball loss was significantly less. I dropped one off the dock, and lost two at once being an idiot in nootka. It's excellent for stacking lines. I did a year on wire, everyone told me to go braid. Did three years on braid. Tuna cords,beads,snubbers all the bs. Switched back to wire. I'll never go back. The negative is the Humm of the wire and its very unforgiving if your line touches it. I know this subject has been talked about endlessly but when I made the switch I told you guys I'd report back on my research.

Just wanted to report in. A year ago I switched back to wire. From braid. I go straight wire to ball. I use 18s and and set the rigger with a scale to retract at 40 lbs. I fish bottom quite a bit. My ball loss was significantly less. I dropped one off the dock, and lost two at once being an idiot in nootka. It's excellent for stacking lines. I did a year on wire, everyone told me to go braid. Did three years on braid. Tuna cords,beads,snubbers all the bs. Switched back to wire. I'll never go back. The negative is the Humm of the wire and its very unforgiving if your line touches it. I know this subject has been talked about endlessly but when I made the switch I told you guys I'd report back on my research.
I’m an avid wire user as well and I always thought it would be nice to go straight wire to ball however because I fish bottom so much I was scared to get hung up and lose more than the ball.

I’m an avid wire user as well and I always thought it would be nice to go straight wire to ball however because I fish bottom so much I was scared to get hung up and lose more than the ball.
You should try a snubber. If you do get hung up on the bottom, wire will break, Dacron braid will rip your downriver right off your boat, same breaking power as anchor rope, Lmao. Plus you get to use a black box. Ok I've said too much again;)

You should try a snubber. If you do get hung up on the bottom, wire will break, Dacron braid will rip your downriver right off your boat, same breaking power as anchor rope, Lmao. Plus you get to use a black box. Ok I've said too much again;)
I actually do run tuna cord and snubbers, heard a couple of horror stories so playing it safe.

If you set the tension on your rigger correctly. They should never even come close to ripping off. You can use a fishing scale and go about 40 lbs.

If you set the tension on your rigger correctly. They should never even come close to ripping off. You can use a fishing scale and go about 40 lbs.
Yes I read this in an earlier post you sent, you also mention you still lose some. Ok, I was just expressing my opinion. IMG_9866.gif Still risky setting tension with a fish scale. I'm still not convinced.IMG_0243.gif

Yes I read this in an earlier post you sent, you also mention you still lose some. Ok, I was just expressing my opinion. View attachment 75640 Still risky setting tension with a fish scale. I'm still not convinced.View attachment 75641
I'm not really trying to convince you of anything. Just letting you know that the rigger had a feature designed in it so it doesn't rip off your boat. I set it to 40 lbs using a scale. Not risky. Probably a little over the top.
Some people crank it too tight. Then when you hang up on the bottom it rips your ball off or worse.

I’ve been using braid since early days when people first started experimenting with it. Great results with either Scotty or Power Pro 200 pound.

have also experimented with a variety of tuna cord snubbers and often found that after a bit of use the tuna cord starts to deteriorate leading to breakage if you bounce the rocks.

I landed on using a new approach with 400 pound marlin leader. The stuff is amazing and rarely breaks even if you hook the bottom. Far right photo show the loop end where you simply loop in the braid to connect the lanyard extension. I make the lanyard long enough that when the loop end runs through the scotty auto stop its triggered leaving the cannon ball still just under the water surface to avoid having the ball swinging into side of the boat in rough seas. Second from right photo show the cannon ball connection plus how I mount the scotty clip with a quick change....photo on far left shows same but from distance. Second photo from left shows the cannon ball connection at close range.

Hope this is useful set up for some. Not my idea, a really great friend and awesome fisherman showed it to me. No turning back now, this really saves me a lot of "formerly" lost cannon balls.

Attachments

• 28496840-D069-40B6-B29C-D9D5A1B7190E.jpeg
    28496840-D069-40B6-B29C-D9D5A1B7190E.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 189
  • AE29BF82-B9A4-40DE-9F2E-BFE49A536870.jpeg
    AE29BF82-B9A4-40DE-9F2E-BFE49A536870.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 66E565FB-698C-4DCA-A3A7-0187949775BF.jpeg
    66E565FB-698C-4DCA-A3A7-0187949775BF.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 172
  • A6FBEC1F-0614-495A-93E4-4178B9395324.jpeg
    A6FBEC1F-0614-495A-93E4-4178B9395324.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I’ve been using braid since early days when people first started experimenting with it. Great results with either Scotty or Power Pro 200 pound.

have also experimented with a variety of tuna cord snubbers and often found that after a bit of use the tuna cord starts to deteriorate leading to breakage if you bounce the rocks.

I landed on using a new approach with 400 pound marlin leader. The stuff is amazing and rarely breaks even if you hook the bottom.

I like the marlin leader idea!

Where do you get it from? Also what crimping pliers are you using?

I like the marlin leader idea!

Where do you get it from? Also what crimping pliers are you using?
Sorry, took a few minutes to research all the component parts for you...hope this helps. Good luck.

You can buy bulk 100 feet loops on amazon - think around $50.

I have 2 different crimpers, and industrial version which is big $$, but also the smaller $30 - $80 version or full kit for doing tuna leaders works good.

These thimbles also help protect the loop end down at the cannon ball connector:

Last edited:
Sorry, took a few minutes to research all the component parts for you...hope this helps. Good luck.

You can buy bulk 100 feet loops on amazon - think around $50.

https://www.amazon.ca/OL-010-Outrig...d_rd_wg=jtowR&pd_rd_i=B0084EEUGO&psc=1[/SIZE]

I have 2 different crimpers, and industrial version which is big $$, but also the smaller $30 - $80 version or full kit for doing tuna leaders works good.

These thimbles also help protect the loop end down at the cannon ball connector:

Above and beyond, I ordered it all!

Thanks

with all due respect

what is the point of all those swivels and crimps and clips? what does that setup accomplish that braid+paracord+cannonball doesnt?

i see more drag, more points of failure, more time spent prerigging, sharp edges to cut your wet hands on, and you need a special tool to put it together, AND it costs more? even if its bulletproof, when you hang up on something youre not going to pull the bottom up and walk home, itll just break somewhere else.

as with most things in fishing, do whatever works best for you

but also keep it simple

Does anyone know where to get the blue snubber type material? I've searched around but have come up empty.

I use the kufa and scotty snubs but think both can be improved apon.

I'm in the Scotty braid camp: they make the good stuff.

Although paracord sounds like a good idea, I use halibut gangion (seine twine) ---it's tarred for good grip so it's easy to haul your cannonballs out of the water. The tarring also results in zero slippage of your stainless clips: once they're snapped on that gangion they don't go anywhere.

I used to tie fancy knots to connect the gangion to my braid---then a guy on this forum said...."use a square knot...it works...". I tried a square knot and yes, it works just fine. The knot stops the DR way better then a SCotty plastic stopper and being 150 lb test, I get multiple seasons use out of one rig.

Extend your boom to where it sits when you fish---measure the length of the boom and then down to the water---add approx. 20 cm so your ball stays just under the water when the knot hits the stopper---add a few more centimeters for the knot of choice----that's the length of gangion you cut to make your rig. I add a Scotty snubber to the end of the gangion and clip my ball to the snubber---easy to take on and off the cannonball when switching to lighter/heavier weights or storing the balls...works slick

I pretty much do the same thing except I use a big swivel as my stopper. I use a 2 twist palomar knot connecting the braid to the swivel and then just a normal overhand knot with both sides to create a loop in the gangion. I then just loop the gangion through the swivel and back through itself. I do the same to the swivel/snap that I use to connect to the ball.

Back