Lets play a game............

[h=1]Escaped farmed salmon invading Canada’s rivers[/h]http://www.livingoceans.org/media/releases/escaped-farmed-salmon-invading-canada-s-rivers

May 12, 2014

SOINTULA, B.C.—Farmed Atlantic salmon were estimated to be present in over half of surveyed rivers and streams according to modeling conducted for an article recently published online in the journal Biological Invasions. Living Oceans is calling on Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Gail Shea to stop approving new net-cage salmon farms until she can provide the public with clear evidence that Canada’s rivers are not being colonized by invasive species.
The study, Occupancy dynamics of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon in Canadian Pacific coastal salmon streams: implications for sustained invasions, cited previous research indicating that the number of escaped fish reported by the B.C. salmon farming industry is greatly underestimated.
“There is simply no way to verify the industry’s data,” said Will Soltau, Salmon Farming Campaign Manager for Living Oceans. “Salmon farmers self-report escapes and at the same time, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) does not publicly share data from the Atlantic Salmon Watch Program it operates to receive reports from fishermen, field researchers and hatchery workers.”
“We are quite concerned about the implications of what we found,” said Alina Fisher, the report’s lead author. “The fact that Atlantic salmon invasion was stable between years either implies that Atlantics have effectively naturalized or that chronic net-cage leakage is significantly and consistently high. Either case has significant implications for Pacific salmon.”
Atlantic salmon are farmed on Canada’s east and west coasts and escaped fish pose a number of risks to wild salmon, including the transmission of diseases and competition for food and habitat. Last fall on the East Coast—where escaped farmed Atlantic salmon can also interbreed, polluting the wild gene pool—91 escapees were counted in a single fish trap monitored by the Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF) on the Magaguadavic River in New Brunswick. The significant number of escapees indicates that a large escape in the Bay of Fundy had gone unreported by the salmon farming industry.
“In its Assessment and Status Report on Atlantic Salmon in 2010, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) noted that the growth of the salmon aquaculture industry has coincided with a severe decline in wild populations in the nearby rivers in the Bay of Fundy,” said Sue Scott, VP of Communications for ASF. “COSEWIC also noted that in North America, farm-origin salmon have been reported in 87 percent of the rivers investigated within 300 km of aquaculture sites.”
The Occupancy dynamics report also found that escaped Atlantics on the B.C. coast show a marked preference for rivers with the highest diversity of native salmonid species: 97 percent of the surveyed rivers with high salmon diversity were occupied by Atlantics. Impacts may accordingly be affecting all five species of Pacific salmon as well as steelhead and trout.
“When salmon farming was introduced in Canada, fishermen and environmentalists protested that fish escaping from the net-cages posed a threat to wild stock,” said Soltau. “First DFO said escaped Atlantics couldn’t survive. Then they said they wouldn’t enter river systems. Then they said they wouldn’t spawn, but they found feral juveniles. Since then, DFO has done nothing to ease public concerns about escaped farmed Atlantics’ impact on wild salmon in Canadian rivers.”

-30-

[h=2]Contact Information[/h]Will Soltau
Salmon Farming Campaign Manager
Living Oceans Society
250-973-6580

Alina Fisher
Lead author of report
250-472-5923

Sue Scott
Atlantic Salmon Federation
506-529-1027

[h=2]Background[/h]Fisher AC, Volpe JP, Fisher JT (2014) Occupancy dynamics of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon in Canadian Pacific coastal salmon streams: implications for sustained invasions.Biological Invasions. Published online 13Feb2014, doi: 10.1007/s10530-014-0653-x
The report examined data collected in snorkel surveys of 41 B.C. rivers over a period of 3 years, 1997-1999. Virtually no monitoring has been conducted since that time or if it has the data have not been shared. New modeling techniques allowed researchers to use the data available to predict the number of impacted streams, as well as assess potential impacts by cross-referencing impacted streams with known habitat for native species.
While Atlantic salmon cannot breed with Pacific salmon, in 1998 escaped farmed Atlantic salmon were found to have produced young in the Tsitika River on Vancouver Island. Atlantic salmon have been spotted in over 80 B.C. rivers and have been caught by fishermen in Alaska over 250 kilometres from the nearest salmon farm.
Open net-cages can tear and when they do, farmed salmon escape through the holes. Over one million farmed salmon escaped into B.C. waters between 1987 and 1996. There has been a dramatic reduction in the number of farmed Atlantic escapes since regulations changed and the industry began self-reporting its losses:

• 2008 - 111,000 escapes
  • 2009 - 47,000*
  • 2010 - 15,700**
  • 2011 - 12
  • 2012 - 8
  • 2013 - 0
* not reported to the public until after fishermen began catching Atlantic salmon in their nets.
** only made public in the parent company’s quarterly report.

Atlantic Canada
Since ASF began monitoring escapes in the Bay of Fundy salmon aquaculture industry using New Brunswick’s Magaguadavic River at its index river, salmon escapees have outnumbered wild returns in all but four of the last 21 years. The wild salmon run has dwindled from an average of 800 in the 1980s to 293 in 1992 and, by 2012, to two, despite an active restoration program. The Magaguadavic River salmon run has essentially been wiped out.
In 2013 a large escape from net-cages in the Bay of Fundy went unreported by the aquaculture industry; 91 farmed salmon were found in a fish trap in Magaguadavic River.
That same year, between 20,000 and 50,000 mature farmed salmon escaped from a net-cage on the south coast of Newfoundland. The government indicates that 750,000 salmon escapees have been reported in Newfoundland since the industry began; aquaculture salmon have been confirmed in nine rivers on the south coast.

Next step, Damage control. Just like Alberta and CWD in the wild deer populations.

Next step, Damage control. Just like Alberta and CWD in the wild deer populations.

I bet you won't even see that. they know they f'd up and they know that we know they f'd up, but i don't think they really care now. not at this point anyways. in the beginning yeah they wanted to try to sway every ones opinion and get us to accept this new industry. blinded by the money (that actually costs you and me the taxpayer with their subsidies) and big business lobbyists now and they're so far into it they don't want to admit they were wrong in allowing this to happen..... and hoping we'll all "just get over it" rather than shut this damaging industry down. don't think that'll happen...(getting over it) As long as money's being generated and changing hands (out of our pockets and into theirs) this will all be swept under the rug for now. would be nice to see them come out and admit they were and are wrong and shut this industry down. that would be the right thing to do.
rant over

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely looks like an Atlantic but if you've ever seen a mature salmon out of a net pen the fins and tail are all rounded off from rubbing on the nets. This extremely healthy looking fish has no sign of that so it has been in the chuck a while and obviously feeding as well.

i had over 2 million pieces on my farm and not one had rub marks, if it did it was cat food. doesn't meet quality control.

looks like atlantic as well.

i had over 2 million pieces on my farm and not one had rub marks, if it did it was cat food. doesn't meet quality control.

looks like atlantic as well.

wow, 2 million fish on one farm. impressive. if every one of those fish from that one single farm in just one season eat just one smolt trying to get back out to the main ocean that's 2 million wild fish (and any subsequent offspring they may have had) gone from the gene pool. but of course we know that those atlantics only eat processed fish pellets and wouldn't think of eating a wild salmon smolt given the opportunity...

We didn't farm non native species. We never saw any other fish other than what was in the nets. What cant get out cant get in. 1990 we lost more than a million fish. It was a bitchin winter storm ( we lost a complete farm). Non of the 12 farms where in any estuaries where smolts are trying to get back to the ocean. Rather all farms where situated in 600'-100' feet of water. Do farmed salmon really eat smolts? Proof?

Maybe we could stay on topic instead of whatever your feeling's are?

Last edited:
Atlantic or huge sea run brown, that is a magnificent fish! I wonder how much anglers would pay to catch one like it elsewhere?

probably many since their governments sold out to corporate fish farming interests also and their wild populations are almost extinct as well.

I searched the image on google, the image appears to have been used twice on Instagram and are somehow connected to the kola peninsula in Russia. Go ahead and search it yourself.
I know that some have their hearts set on this post being true tho so carry on.

Last edited:
There are still some wild Atlantic salmon rivers left, granted with no farming nearby, just poaching .. check out the prices to fish them.

http://www.kharlovka.com/[/QUOTE

Thxs for the link Dave. When I get a chance I'll read it. I know all about what happens when greed takes hold and access becomes limited when water and land surrounding it becomes private and access impeded. Having worked in Ireland I saw it first hand. Basically only the elitists that belonged to a club that owned a section of river would be able to enjoy the sport. I would hate to see it happen here but seeing the direction our provincial government seems to take when it comes to the public and their tendency to want to privatize or sell anything that might make them a dollar, I don't hold out alot of hope. We slowly seem to lose rights and freedoms. Death by a thousand cuts. I think we'll wake up one day and think wow, I can't believe how good we had it. Now it's gone.
I hope I'm wrong... but you guys that have lived on the coast for decades are already seeing the fishing opportunities you once had disappear or have become more diminished. Once you start losing your acess or it becomes so expensive that the average person can't afford to fish, or have to belong to a private club to fish that will be a sad day. Don't think it can't be taken away if you allow it...

Thxs for the link Dave. When I get a chance I'll read it. I know all about what happens when greed takes hold and access becomes limited when water and land surrounding it becomes private and access impeded. Having worked in Ireland I saw it first hand. Basically only the elitists that belonged to a club that owned a section of river would be able to enjoy the sport. I would hate to see it happen here but seeing the direction our provincial government seems to take when it comes to the public and their tendency to want to privatize or sell anything that might make them a dollar, I don't hold out alot of hope. We slowly seem to lose rights and freedoms. Death by a thousand cuts. I think we'll wake up one day and think wow, I can't believe how good we had it. Now it's gone.
I hope I'm wrong... but you guys that have lived on the coast for decades are already seeing the fishing opportunities you once had disappear or have become more diminished. Once you start losing your acess or it becomes so expensive that the average person can't afford to fish, or have to belong to a private club to fish that will be a sad day. Don't think it can't be taken away if you allow it...
I had a fella stay at my place from scotland and he told me how he loved to go "WATCH" they guys fishing the river for he could not afford it or get such access to the private resource. I honestly felt bad for the guy and wanted to take him fishing but I could not on any of the thee days he was here. He loves fishing. We have it pretty good but it feels like theres lubricant being applied between our fingers.

I guess one way you could compare it would be like wanting to golf but the only golf courses in your country are private and the only way you can golf it is if you are a paid member. And you were sponsored or voted on by the membership as to wether they are going gto accept you or not. Now think of those private golf courses as long sections of river.
I'd hate to see that happen here and in my opinions that's one of the things that makes our province great. That we haven't gone down that road. It can and may happen if we allow it though.
I already see sections of crown land being closed and blocked off to hunting, fishing, etc...

Pretty sad commentary - if the rare example of pristine Atlantic salmon habitat/ecosystem so far away from human-induced impacts including open net-cage genetic pollution is left near the Arctic circle and Finland.

Yes, that is sad...

Back