Length of mooching Rod?

Califbill

Figure I will get a quantum 4000 reel and a rod to try single action reels on the downrigger. How long of a rod? I see 9' on the classified here but seems as if few 10.5' rods.

Depends on your needs, buddy of mine swears by his 9' TFO moocher's.
I'm using a 10.5 Trophy Titan which seems to be a pretty good rod for the $$

Practically speaking, either length works fine. The 10.5 is the classic length and its hard to beat the 10.5 doubled over when a nice fish is on the other end. Personal preference.

Think of it as a really big shock absorber. Won't make much difference with a fish out at 50 yards, but at 15 feet and the fish surges, the rod bends quickly until the drag releases. On a stiff rod with a lightly hooked fish or after a long fight and the hook is worked loose, it can make the difference between a landed fish and a pop out.

After a few days of salt, a lot of drags start getting "sticky", especially on a single action. long rods in small boats are no fun, but the softer the rod the better for the simple reason of end game where so many fish are lost.

Drewski

Practically speaking, either length works fine. The 10.5 is the classic length and its hard to beat the 10.5 doubled over when a nice fish is on the other end. Personal preference.
X2 with the above but quite often ability to fish out of certain boats make that length of rod impractical so a 9 or 91/2 might be more practical-depends on the boat.

I've never been clear on the best length of rod. I have some old ones (about 8') that are stiffer than most newer ones and they are great for trolling and easy to store in a smaller boat. I think a shorter, stiffer rod will let you "feel" the fish more... maybe? For mooching they don't have a smooth flicking action.

NOT ... longer lighter rod , will let you feel the fish more ....in my opinion ... size matters ... loger the better

It sounds like you are actually looking for a decent downrigger rod, rather then a pure mooching rod. If however you plan on doing some mooching you will find that longer rods will allow you to 1) feel the slightest take of a spring salmon and 2) allow the use of a longer leader especially when using live herring.

Shorter the boat, shorter the rod.
In a 12-16' boat, you are unable to back away from the gunwale in order to hold the fish within reach for netting, use a shorter rod.
Bigger boat, 8' beam, you can take a step back to bring the fish alongside, longer rod ok.
Fishing alone, I prefer the shorter 9' rod as I can be at the gunwale and net the fish easier than with a longer rod.
Shorter rod, easier to control the fishes head when landing.
9' is, in my opinion, the more versatile rod length and about all I use.

In the old days when we actually mooched live herring, Hardy 10' and 10'10" (fibreglass) were the cadillacs. For mooching, as gungadin said, you wanted a very soft tip. Soft enough that you could see the tip straighten when a fish took the bait and picked up the weight of the sinker - usually we used 2-3 ounces, occassionally up to 4 or 5 if the current was pushing.
With graphite rods you can get a soft tip in a shorter rod if you prefer.

Let us know how you make out with a single action reel, Bill. Took a look on the net and couldn't see a mooching-single action Quantum reel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get that reel they are junk I had 2 of them would not recommend them to anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a search on the Quantum 3000.
Turned a few reports that they are made in same factory as Shimano 2000, to same design.
Also that they are only available in Canada.
Should work ok for your experimental fishing.

We have a few of those rods, bought the first one as a cheapo spare. WOW, they are nice to use! 9 footer works well for most. Almost as nice as our $300 10.5 footers.
No idea on the reels.

Shorter the boat, shorter the rod.
In a 12-16' boat, you are unable to back away from the gunwale in order to hold the fish within reach for netting, use a shorter rod.
Bigger boat, 8' beam, you can take a step back to bring the fish alongside, longer rod ok.
Fishing alone, I prefer the shorter 9' rod as I can be at the gunwale and net the fish easier than with a longer rod.
Shorter rod, easier to control the fishes head when landing.
9' is, in my opinion, the more versatile rod length and about all I use.

In the old days when we actually mooched live herring, Hardy 10' and 10'10" (fibreglass) were the cadillacs. For mooching, as gungadin said, you wanted a very soft tip. Soft enough that you could see the tip straighten when a fish took the bait and picked up the weight of the sinker - usually we used 2-3 ounces, occassionally up to 4 or 5 if the current was pushing.
With graphite rods you can get a soft tip in a shorter rod if you prefer.

Let us know how you make out with a single action reel, Bill. Took a look on the net and couldn't see a mooching-single action Quantum reel.

This^^^^.Agree 100% with you ,Time.Smaller boats require shorter rods,especially if your fishing alone.Another
thing to keep in mind is how long you run your leaders from your flasher,If you run longish leaders of 6-8 ft. when
using bait,you'll have a hell of a time getting the fish in the net with a 10.5 ft rod,especially when your by yourself!

I use a 10-6 rod for the most part but if I'm alone and the water is rough I will switch to a 9 ft for better control. For overall excitement with a hog, the long rod is my preference.

Back