Law enforcement out in full force Vic waterfront.

Have to agree with others, get a VHF either portable or mounted before downriggers. Better to save your life than to fish. Mounted you will also need a antenna, but they are pretty simple to wire up. If your short on funds there is lots of good used stuff for sale. Get your safety gear and certifications first. If you can, take the Power Squadron course well worth the cost. Might also think about getting a GPS. There's lots of great help on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
American boats

Just a heads up guys... The law enforcement folks are checking a LOT right now. My last two outings off the Vic waterfront in the last week I have seen police and DFO checking lots of boats. I got stopped by the RCMP this morning and they said very few boats are in full compliance.

Sounds like it's the "pleasure craft license" paperwork that most vessels are missing.

Save yourself a fine and take a photocopy of it with you.

Last weekend I saw 3 boats sent to shore after being checked.

For those of us going up to Canadian waters from the states, IF you are in Canadian waters for less than 45 consecutive days, you can follow the U.S. water safety regulation/equipment requirements. So, we don't have to have 6 flares nor do we have to have 50 ft. of buoyant throw line, although the latter does sound like a good idea.....

Back