Law enforcement out in full force Vic waterfront.

I'd suggest that the marine radio is a higher priority than downriggers (of either type). You can always catch fish with a banana weight and a cut plug but you don't want to die. A good rechargeable Std. Horizon model floating portable VHF might save your life someday. Cost is about $100-$130US and they have a rebate on them until the end of the month (at least in the US don't know about Canada).

I'd suggest that the marine radio is a higher priority than downriggers (of either type). You can always catch fish with a banana weight and a cut plug but you don't want to die. A good rechargeable Std. Horizon model floating portable VHF might save your life someday. Cost is about $100-$130US and they have a rebate on them until the end of the month (at least in the US don't know about Canada).
Right on bro. I don't leave the dock until my new to me boat is up to snuff. Where can I buy this radio and what are the wiring issues involved?

Dennis T.:- if you are fishing over 30ft deep you will regret you bought manual downriggers from the first trip out......

Dennis T.:- if you are fishing over 30ft deep you will regret you bought manual downriggers from the first trip out......

Manuals are okay so long as you are fast and energetic..

I could see some uncoordinated fellows having some trouble... And it might not be so fun for winter feeders at 160 ft..

For the budget minded individual, manual riggers will suffice.. :)

I'll expect to see them for sale here in the classifieds in a couple of months.....

I used manuals when I first started......and I'm pretty energetic and co-ordinated...

They are a pain in the butt if you're fishing deep (150ft plus) and you get:-

(a) "clip pops' for various reasons......

(b) flasher tangle-ups......(does happen from time to time)

(c) getting gear out of the way when a good fish on

(d) lots of shakers, dinkers and coho in the area/depth you are fishing......just get your gear down---up it comes to get the small fish off.....

Why put any money into manuals?.....you're just going to end up buying electrics eventually anyway...

Manuals are okay so long as you are fast and energetic..

I could see some uncoordinated fellows having some trouble... And it might not be so fun for winter feeders at 160 ft..

For the budget minded individual, manual riggers will suffice.. :)
I have ran manuals in a previous life. I find it a good workout! Lol

I'll expect to see them for sale here in the classifieds in a couple of months.....

I used manuals when I first started......and I'm pretty energetic and co-ordinated...

They are a pain in the butt if you're fishing deep (150ft plus) and you get:-

(a) "clip pops' for various reasons......

(b) flasher tangle-ups......(does happen from time to time)

(c) getting gear out of the way when a good fish on

(d) lots of shakers, dinkers and coho in the area/depth you are fishing......just get your gear down---up it comes to get the small fish off.....

Why put any money into manuals?.....you're just going to end up buying electrics eventually anyway...
You got that right, I do plan to upgrade to electric downriggers later on in life. But for now, I think manuals will get me on the water for the upcoming Sockeye season sooner rather then later!

For the price of a couple of manuals you can buy one electric.........Personally I'd rather run one electric than two manuals.....

You could put an electric on one side and then scout around for a used manual on the other side ( shouldn't have any trouble finding used manuals).....

A VHF portable radio will allow you to call for help in an emergency as well as communicate with your buddies on the water. To legally be able to use the radio, however, you'll need a Restricted Operators Certificate (Marine). You can get the certification by taking a course through your local Power Squadron. Of course, lots of folks use these radios without the proper certification (they're easy to figure out on the water) however you won't want to get checked by the Coast Guard or Police out on the water without the ROC.

A VHF portable radio will allow you to call for help in an emergency as well as communicate with your buddies on the water. To legally be able to use the radio, however, you'll need a Restricted Operators Certificate (Marine). You can get the certification by taking a course through your local Power Squadron. Of course, lots of folks use these radios without the proper certification (they're easy to figure out on the water) however you won't want to get checked by the Coast Guard or Police out on the water without the ROC.
Thanx for the info brother. Yes I want to be certified and legal. I will check into the course. Hope there is one here in the Wack!

Right on bro. I don't leave the dock until my new to me boat is up to snuff. Where can I buy this radio and what are the wiring issues involved?

As mentioned above, no wiring with a portable (handheld) radio. Just charge it up prior to each trip. Some also come with an adapter/battery case that allow you to power it with AA batteries in the event the rechargeable battery is dead. As to where to buy, pretty much any marine store (either in person or online) carries Std. Horizon (and other brands - both cheaper and well made). I suggested Standard Horizon since they make good stuff (so does ICOM). West Marine is one source but there are many others.

...If you see thm comming , just turn it off ... its not illegal to have one in the boat ... if its not on

I bought used manual riggers, they're easy to find. I bought them and thought I'd upgrade to electrics eventually. Here I am 4 years later still running the manuals and they're great.

Fishing solo with two rods out and you hook a dandy.... It's good fun chaos trying to manage all that gear and land the fish. LOL

My boss at work tells me I'm an "adrenaline junkie", he might be right. LOL

Rather be certified, that way I can learn all about the marine radio, dos and donts...

Good response. Why should all of us who go by the rules spend money and get trained why people waste time and fool around on radio? You have to have it anyway. BTW I was checked for it last year. They checked radio card (ROC-M), operator card (PCOC), safety gear, and owner registration (Transport Canada numbers) and that was right in Sooke in the harbour. They both were very thorough. Even gave me a rubbing for not having a fog reflector at the time since we were in August lots of foggy days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you know that as fact Peetz you might check in to it. My son is in the Coast Guard and has seen people ticketed for having the radio and no one licensed to use it. Best get confirmation from those who have the authority to issue tickets.

Good response. Why should all of us who go by the rules spend money and get trained why people waste time and fool around on radio? You have to have it anyway. BTW I was checked for it last year. They checked radio card (ROC-M), operator card (PCOC), safety gear, and owner registration (Transport Canada numbers) and that was right in Sooke in the harbour. They both were very thorough. Even gave me a rubbing for not having a fog reflector at the time since we were in August lots of foggy days.
PCOC is that the boaters card to operate a motor boat? If so I did it online and have the card.

Back