Law enforcement out in full force Vic waterfront.

Kildonan

Just a heads up guys... The law enforcement folks are checking a LOT right now. My last two outings off the Vic waterfront in the last week I have seen police and DFO checking lots of boats. I got stopped by the RCMP this morning and they said very few boats are in full compliance.

Sounds like it's the "pleasure craft license" paperwork that most vessels are missing.

Save yourself a fine and take a photocopy of it with you.

Last weekend I saw 3 boats sent to shore after being checked.

What is the pleasure craft licence, is that the bc number? I have a number which was on the boat when I bought it but dont have any paperwork.

The registering of your boat is the law and will make you responsible for all the legal paperwork and Taxes since the last registered owner of the boat. I have been checked several times for the proper registration and paperwork ,and safety equipment. Was cited once for expired date on my flares!!

What is the pleasure craft licence, is that the bc number? I have a number which was on the boat when I bought it but dont have any paperwork.

I didn't realize when I bought my boat used that the registration and transfer was for the trailer only. Made sense once i thought about it. Good news is I wrote a letter explaining the situation and a copy of the transfer papers which I luckily still had from years earlier and they mailed me the boat registration. Was a real quick process and amazingly enough the fed's do it for free, there's not taxes owed and you get it within a couple weeks.

I got checked in victoria as well this am. Good to see them out. Put the downrigger out the back and asked the to pull up and tie on while I continued to troll.

JL

So with everyone so concerned about poaching...(see Profishers latest post)

Would you tell the staggering drunk leaving the bar about the road block you passed on the way in?? I hope not...

I didn't realize when I bought my boat used that the registration and transfer was for the trailer only. Made sense once i thought about it. Good news is I wrote a letter explaining the situation and a copy of the transfer papers which I luckily still had from years earlier and they mailed me the boat registration. Was a real quick process and amazingly enough the fed's do it for free, there's not taxes owed and you get it within a couple weeks.
No federal tax but up to two years later you may get a bill from the province. Depends on your circumstances, but they always get their money !

Its been a month since I sent in the forms to register my new to me boat. Have not heard anything back???

Would you tell the staggering drunk leaving the bar about the road block you passed on the way in?? I hope not...

My intent with the original post wasn't to stop or alert any potential poachers of pending problems. I just don't think a lot of guys know about that boat license requirement, I didn't until somebody posted it last year here on this forum and I appreciated it as it saved me a ticket. So I thought I'd give people a heads up. That's all. ;)

and of copy of "proof of ownership" because your bc # says,, "this is not a title document"... i keep a copy of a hand written note from the seller.. actually got a warning on this one.

Warning goes on your criminal record for 7 years. Sucks when you coach a sport and you have to explain that the criminal record is for not registering your boat. Even worse you have to go to the government building tell them it is OK to advise the rcmp what the record is for because they can't communicate to each other with out permission. Moral of the story don't think oh well its just a warning. Pain in the butt.

It's not just the boating license and boat registration you need. Don't forget the safety gear....
Life jackets for all onboard
Fire extinguisher
Min 50ft buoyant heaving line
Water tight flashlight (or flares, depending on boat length)

This is just off the top of my head, I may have missed something. I have the info in my garage, but I'm not there.

My intent with the original post wasn't to stop or alert any potential poachers of pending problems. I just don't think a lot of guys know about that boat license requirement, I didn't until somebody posted it last year here on this forum and I appreciated it as it saved me a ticket. So I thought I'd give people a heads up. That's all. ;)

I get where you were coming from with the original post, it could do good, or could cause the bad to wait out the weekend. Just had poachin' on the mind after reading Profishers Smackdown.

With the amount of laws one has to deal with, boat registration is easy to overlook. Thanks for the reminder.

It's not just the boating license and boat registration you need. Don't forget the safety gear....
Life jackets for all onboard
Fire extinguisher
Min 50ft buoyant heaving line
Water tight flashlight (or flares, depending on boat length)

This is just off the top of my head, I may have missed something. I have the info in my garage, but I'm not there.

See: https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf

Check page #17

Yes, cause not having your paperwork is pretty much poaching....

Back