Law enforcement out in full force Vic waterfront.

The link above doesn't work. Fire extinguisher, 50 ft throw ring, flares, flashlight. What else? Need to get my new to me boat up to snuff. Thanx

The link above doesn't work. Fire extinguisher, 50 ft throw ring, flares, flashlight. What else? Need to get my new to me boat up to snuff. Thanx
At least 1 paddle and depending on the hight of your side you might need a boarding devise (ladder)

Go on the dept of transport website or cdn power squadron to see the list of requirements

I welcomed them to check my boat this spring I was just getting back from fishing, now next time I see them I'll just show them the "all good " and go
will save me time

Cheers

Okay, great info guys. For my size of boat, the way I understand it, is I need a 50ft buoyant heaving ring, water tight flashlight or Flares (check), Air horn or whistle (check), a paddle (check) and one 5bc Fire extinguisher. I supposing I can purchase these items at a Marine supply store? Not sure about the Radar reflector and what the heck is a 5bc fire extinguisher? Lol

They give you a slip of paper which they tell you to keep so if you get stopped again you can just show that and you shouldn't have to go through the whole inspection again.

Fine by me....Anyone who has a vhf transmitting also needs on ROC-M operator card. And yes I personally got checked on that one last year as well. On my boat carry PCOC,ROC-M cards and copy of transport Canada and all safety gear/ plus beyond requirement. Since I am for waiting for TC registration with new boat I just carry form right now..

For me I see it as a positive that these are being checked..Makes it safer on the water anyway, and avoids stolen property.

Don't give them your money make sure you have these things.

Warning goes on your criminal record for 7 years. Sucks when you coach a sport and you have to explain that the criminal record is for not registering your boat. Even worse you have to go to the government building tell them it is OK to advise the rcmp what the record is for because they can't communicate to each other with out permission. Moral of the story don't think oh well its just a warning. Pain in the butt.

A warning does not constitute a criminal record. The RCMP has a reporting system called PRIME. When a file is made up, or a street check done, in this case, a boat check, your information is entered onto that reporting system. It is a paperless file system. It is possible that when your name is run you will pop up on PRIME. It is no different than if you report a crime, missing person etc..

You will not appear as having a criminal record unless you have actually committed a criminal code offence, been charged for that offence, convicted in court and fingerprinted.

I hope this clears things up for you.

That would be a 5lb abc extinguisher. You need the "A" to put out combustibles type fires....paper, carpet, cloth etc. "B" is fluids...oil, gas etc...."C" is electrical fires

A warning does not constitute a criminal record. The RCMP has a reporting system called PRIME. When a file is made up, or a street check done, in this case, a boat check, your information is entered onto that reporting system. It is a paperless file system. It is possible that when your name is run you will pop up on PRIME. It is no different than if you report a crime, missing person etc..

You will not appear as having a criminal record unless you have actually committed a criminal code offence, been charged for that offence, convicted in court and fingerprinted.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Oh ok it must not have happened, thanks for the clarification.
I never said i had a criminal record for it, the warning came up, and the officer said it will for 7 years.

Oh ok it must not have happened, thanks for the clarification.
I never said i had a criminal record for it, the warning came up, and the officer said it will for 7 years.

Not saying it didn't happen. Just trying to clarify the Criminal record thing which you mentioned.

A 5bc is a 2lb extinguisher and for a boat application...useless. If you opt for a 2pound extinguisher and think you are going to put out a gasoline fire...better think again. You might as well spit at it. You get 6-8 seconds of powder with a wide open valve. A 5pound extinguisher you get about 15 seconds.

Its been a month since I sent in the forms to register my new to me boat. Have not heard anything back???
Finally arrived in the mail, my Pleasure Craft License,only took a month! Lol. Picked up the required safety gear from Crappy Tire, so I am now legal! Hooray. I now need a set a downriggers and mounting brackets. Im thinking of a pair of Scotty 1085 30 " strongarm manual downriggers. Im open to comments, concerns and suggestions!

Don't go with manual! Save up some money and get a pair of electric downriggers! Imagine the fish is peeling out line and you are trying to wind up that 150 feet of cable with one arm. Worst yet, the fish is swimming around the boat and you couldn't get the ball up all the way (where's that 3rd arm??), line gets tangled up with cable, fish gone......

^^^^ What he said....plus as you get older and your shoulders start to give out, you will really appreciate the one button and up action of the electric riggers. Look at the used market. Lots of guys upgrade from the 30" to the 60" models.

I knew it!!!! You guys were going to say electric downriggers is the way to go!!! I checked out the prices and its double to what I have in mind plus whatever wiring issues are involved. Im still able to crank up the manuals and will always have another able bodied young gun or two on board to help out! Im also thinking Marine radio in case something were to happen out there and I needed help. Any suggestions in this regard? Thanx

Back