Kyuquot Sound

JuandeOne

Hey guys, am thinking about planning a trip to Kyuquot Sound this summer for the first time and would appreciate any advice regarding timing, accomodations and anything else of importance.

Thanks in advance.

Brutal road going in to Fair Harbour, carry lots of spare tires. Go slow, gravel will pepper your hull. Count on 2hr + of gravel road.

Last time we were there, no gas was available. Boaters were shipping gas in on the Uchuck freighter in 55 gal. drums.

I was fishing there June 06 and have fished there for the last 4 years, 2 trips per year.
There was gas..the road is brutal to the artish ( not sure of the spelling)arm. It is a 20-30 kph road with truck, camper and boat.
I have only ever bottom fished there..always limited in June or early july. One has to work a little harder to limit in sept.

I have found other places for my bottom fishing that are easier on the trailering and the body for seasickness.
Good Luck

Heading up in two weeks, any further info regarding locations and techniques (both salmon/bottomfish) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think the big secret is getting there. Access, fuel and accomodation make Kyuquot harder to get to. When you get there, the guide boats generally mark the best fishing spots. The SW corner of Spring Island and all along the rocky shore to the south. There is also a major Kelp Bed just inside on the channel. Migrating Springs come in to feed, not too hard to figure out. When they are there everything works, when they are not you may have to spoon feed them anchovy on a silver spoon. You should be able to find a reef about 5-7 miles out for bottom fish on the charts. Kyuquot is shallow so if you head out to 180-200 ft and hang some herring on the bottom you should get chickens on the bite. I'm sure there are some migrating fish to be had out there as well.

Now you have the secrets, a report on your return would be appreciated.

Just returned from four days of fantastic fishing and weather at Kyuquot.

Spring Island was hot for chinook, both morning and late afternoon/evening, with plenty of #20 - #27 on 'chovy with long 8'-9' leaders. According to our guide buddy up there, long leaders were key and we noticed this for sure.

3.5 miles off was very good for similar size chinook and chickens fished right in the sand with various spoons at 160'-175'.

The highway was slow but many large hali's were coming in off the rock piles 6-7 miles out on various baits.

Four of us returned with easy limits of chinook and hali with a few lings and yelloweye mixed in.

Like I said, the weather was amazing, offshore swells were small, road to Fair Harbour was good and lots of gas at Fair Harbour. There was some ice at Walters Cove but we loaded up with the good stuff in Zebbalos.

What a trip!!!

Just returned from four days of fantastic fishing and weather at Kyuquot.

Spring Island was hot for chinook, both morning and late afternoon/evening, with plenty of #20 - #27 on 'chovy with long 8'-9' leaders. According to our guide buddy up there, long leaders were key and we noticed this for sure.

3.5 miles off was very good for similar size chinook and chickens fished right in the sand with various spoons at 160'-175'.

The highway was slow but many large hali's were coming in off the rock piles 6-7 miles out on various baits.

Four of us returned with easy limits of chinook and hali with a few lings and yelloweye mixed in.

Like I said, the weather was amazing, offshore swells were small, road to Fair Harbour was good and lots of gas at Fair Harbour. There was some ice at Walters Cove but we loaded up with the good stuff in Zebbalos.

What a trip!!!

Just returned from Fair Harbour Fishing was good at Spring Isl.
Long leaders seem best 6 or 7 feet
Coyote spoons were better than chovie for us. Our fish were 25 to 34 #
Hit rain, wind and swells but we could still fish.
Lots of other boats had fish on too.
Coho are in there and seem to hit and run. Road was in great shape.
Slow down for the rough spots. Gas at Fair Harbour open till 6 PM.
They ran out of ice so bring lots. Did not fish for butts weather was so so.
GLG

You can avoid the most brutal part of the road if you launch in Zeballos and go around on the outside! From Zeballos to Rugged Point (South Entrance to Kyuquot Sound) is just a little longer than it would be from... say... Gold River to Friendly Cove (The Lighthouse @ Nootka). It is by no means an insurmountable distance. What you loose on gas you might save on Car/Boat/Trailer repairs and spare tires! :)

If you launch in Zeballos on your way to Kyuquot, you could stop and fish @ Catala Is. and Black Rock (Esperanza) and you might not want to go any further for a while! ;)

Oppi

anyone else with kyuquot news?

i am heading up to the bunsby islands and mission group on a kayak trip... hoping to catch some coho or pinks, maybe a spring??? [:0]

gonna troll some spoons and maybe some strip with a banana weight... wish us luck! ;)

Just returned from Kyuquot Sound / Fair Harbour. 5 Spring 18 to 27 #.
Fishing was good but we had to work HARD for those.
Shemeg in the water and on our flashers and hooks.
Follow the rules, sticky sharp hooks and check your gear often, as it’s hard to tell if it’s not fouled.
Spring Island seems to be the place to be in the afternoon 1 to 6 PM.
Guides all using chovie but spoons at 3 ½ and 4 inch were our top producers.
Most sporty boats were coming back dry or maybe one.
I showed a few of them the coyote spoon and leaded length and it worked for them.
Got spooled 3 times and lost them all.
Broke my 30# leader when I was thumbing the reel to slow them down.
Need bigger gear and a new leader brand.
Did not fish for hali but other sportys say it was great fishing.
Hope to go back there soon with bigger reel and more line.
Ton of wild coho must have hooked 30 or 40 over 2 days 2 guys.
Tried to stay away from them but they were very aggressive.
Weather was good (light rain 1 day) and the seas were nice.
Road was in excellent shape as the grader operator was busy and doing a fine job.
Lots of gas and Dick is open till 8 pm. He is there at the dock when you arrive back.
Big thank you to him and his wife for finding my camera.
I would also like to thank SeaWolf for the tips as I feel he was key to our success.
GLG

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Just returned from Kyuquot Sound / Fair Harbour. 5 Spring 18 to 27 #.
Fishing was good but we had to work HARD for those.
Shemeg in the water and on our flashers and hooks.
Follow the rules, sticky sharp hooks and check your gear often, as it’s hard to tell if it’s not fouled.
Spring Island seems to be the place to be in the afternoon 1 to 6 PM.
Guides all using chovie but spoons at 3 ½ and 4 inch were our top producers.
Most sporty boats were coming back dry or maybe one.
I showed a few of them the coyote spoon and leaded length and it worked for them.
Got spooled 3 times and lost them all.
Broke my 30# leader when I was thumbing the reel to slow them down.
Need bigger gear and a new leader brand.
Did not fish for hali but other sportys say it was great fishing.
Hope to go back there soon with bigger reel and more line.
Ton of wild coho must have hooked 30 or 40 over 2 days 2 guys.
Tried to stay away from them but they were very aggressive.
Weather was good (light rain 1 day) and the seas were nice.
Road was in excellent shape as the grader operator was busy and doing a fine job.
Lots of gas and Dick is open till 8 pm. He is there at the dock when you arrive back.
Big thank you to him and his wife for finding my camera.
I would also like to thank SeaWolf for the tips as I feel he was key to our success.
GLG

What's with these tales of people getting spooled? I've NEVER been close to getting spooled and I've been fishing for big bad Chinooks since I was 4, guided professionally for years...etc etc etc... I've had a half reel out before, but NEVER been close to getting spooled. I've had my Islanders and Shimanos loaded with 25 lb test Maxima...and I can't say I've ever broken off where it wasn't angler error on my boat? I've done River's Inlet, fishing in the Charlottes with 40's all over the place, I've had 60's, 70's on the line, ++ and I don't want to know how much bigger...but NEVER been close to getting spooled...never heard of guides getting spooled in the areas I've fished too. If you've got a fish that's going into overdrive, turn after it, let your angler go after the fish, and start to get to work pulling your gear!!!!!

Replace your drag washers if you're getting spooled. I'm usually fishing with 10'6" rods or longer, and single action reels. Get the drag on good and tight, and hold that rod HIGH-- straight up, and no salmon will spool you where you didn't have a chance--to at least get after it some-- in the ocean.

I've not fished full-time professionally in a few years, but I can say I've been on the water more than many, and unless these fish are on some kinda of growth inducing hormones or some kinda super strength endurance drug...I don't think much has changed.

I've seen a spoolin' just a few times but can't say they were springs. I guide buddy of mine had been spooled in the Charlottes before he could get the boat turned around and gear up. Thats about 300 yards in under a minute. We though might have been a salmon or blue shark.

Been spooled once,off of Sheringham couple of years ago mostly my fault couldn't get the boat turned and the other gear up fast enough.Lesson learned.You have to be on them instantly,If you get a screamer out there now that goes more than 400 feet, somebody usaully runs it over with their riggers,its kinda comical watching them scramable around thinking they have one on.DAN

About three weeks ago I was out at Bamfield with SeaWolf and it looked like we were going to get spooled, turned out we were being sealed.... Martin won however, the catch was a three pound ling that we released.... all he had for the worst of wear were some tooth marks. Striper Sniper

FM thanks for the advice sort of. Wish I didn’t lose all my line but that’s what happened. Never had it happen to me until this year. It’s not a nice feeling to look down and see a hand full of raps left on your reel. I have never seen my line peel out that fast. My reel was screaming. I was in panic mode. Yea I wish the boat was running it down but it took what seemed like 5 to 10 seconds to peel all my line. I can blame the driver but that’s no fair as it was over in a heartbeat. Partner darn near got spooled with his gear but we managed to turn the boat and run the fish down just in time. You should have seen him reel in when the fish turned around and ran to the boat. So now the boats going the wrong way, gong show but blood in the boat (27lb). First time, call it broke off if you want, as I had very little line left when I put the last of my drag to it. I blamed myself as I thought the leader may have been nicked from previous workouts. Second time I had fresh leader on and it broke mid way up the 6 foot leader. Third time cranked up the drag slowly till she broke the leader, it did not seem to slow the fish down one bit. I consider my gear to be medium salmon. My abilities, darn good but I’m no guide. Bottom line is the fish just went ballistic, one long fast run to Japan. I need to rethink my leader. I had no problem with the main line and will put some fresh line on. Not sure yet as to what strength but so far I am thinking 40lb. New leader is what I need or longer main line (30 lb). I fish with 3 ½ inch spoons mostly. I don’t want some bulky leader messing with the action. I am open to suggestion that’s why I am here. Feel free to comment with what you use for leader with small spoons. Here is the gear that I use.
Shaimano 2000LD level wind 3 years old. Drag set to factory spec. 1/3 line stength on the strike setting. Washers are good as the drag is nice and smooth and can really clamp down if needed. 8 foot 6 inch Abu Garcia Workhorse medium action trolling rod. 200 to 300 yard (not sure as I pull 10 to 20 feet off ever trip and Gone Fishin spooled it up for me) 40 lb test Maxima main line. 30lb test P-Line fluorocarbon leader.
GLG

Back