Knuckle buster reels

My 20 year old Shimano reels are getting sloppy . Bought a new one last year and don't like it , not as good as the old ones . Anybody tried an OKuma knuckle buster ? What about Islander reels ? What are your favorites ? Thanks , Salmonholic .

Geez, you will get a lot of opinions with that open ended question. It's been discussed quite a bit around here if you do a search. Go large and buy an Abel, if too expensive, get an Islander, if that's too much, go for a Rapala, or an Okuma, and if none of those suit your needs, you got Trophy, or stay with reconditioned Shimanos.

I have islanders ,Amundsons, and I just picked up my second Trophy. For me I like all of them .
For quality and reliability my first choice is Islander. Had a few issues with the Asmundsons with blowing out springs
however still a decent reel for the price. As for the trophys other than a couple nasty backlashes which were my fault
I think are a pretty good reel as well. The only levelwind I own is on my halibut rod. All I have ever used were mooching reels in saltwater and centre pins for river fishing. Yup a pretty loaded question lol everyone will have their
own preference and opinion. The bottom line for me is even though I have some pretty nice gear it doesn't put any more fish in the boat .

I have islanders ,Amundsons, and I just picked up my second Trophy. For me I like all of them .
For quality and reliability my first choice is Islander. Had a few issues with the Asmundsons with blowing out springs
however still a decent reel for the price. As for the trophys other than a couple nasty backlashes which were my fault
I think are a pretty good reel as well. The only levelwind I own is on my halibut rod. All I have ever used were mooching reels in saltwater and centre pins for river fishing. Yup a pretty loaded question lol everyone will have their
own preference and opinion. The bottom line for me is even though I have some pretty nice gear it doesn't put any more fish in the boat .

I'm a huge fan of Islander MR3's but i must agree with Bobby that it does not mean i catch more fish than i did with my $99 reel BUT it does feel a lot better when i do hook one. They all catch the same amount of fish its just what will last the longest and give you the most worry free experience.

My opinion is spend what feels comfortable and fish the crap out of it!!

Back