Kitty Coleman Reports 2012

Does anyone know the launch limitations regarding tides for launching at both of Kitty Coleman's ramps. The main ramp seems to flatten out in a hurry and was wondering if it's of much use below ten feet. I'm launching a 171/2 ft. fiberglass. Thanks, eman

7 ft and 2 ft are the toughest tides at Kitty.
4wd is a must below 7ft.
My 17 double eagle has been in and out in all tides with another person and we just pulled her out at 10:00.

ramp

The second ramp you can't use till 9.5 feet the main ramp I haven't got that one figured yet I see people going off the edge seems to work some I haven't tried it yet but I will you really have to learn the ramp it is tough make sure your trailer is in good shape it will be doing most of the work I have been dropping the boat hard and dragging the boat off the ramp ripped my speedo off last week it looks to me like the flattest spot on the main ramp is about time to use the second ramp which is around 9.5 feet my boat 16.5 double eagle I like this spot because the fishing is so close just have to be careful which is hard to do I went out this morning off the oyster from pacific and turned around due to wind 10:00am didn't set any lines.

Terry

Thanks Guys... I've suggested that maybe the main ramp should be beefed up a bit as it's changed a lot with the erosion over the years. They don't seem willing. Maybe a government grant would help.:rolleyes: It sure used to be much easier to launch from.;) eman

Not sure if 9.5 feet is safe for the back door.
Unless you have a jet drive on your leg.

Your right there GLG, I've rowed or Kickered her out of there a few times, lining up the lights, it's always fun.;) eman

The second ramp you can't use till 9.5 feet the main ramp I haven't got that one figured yet I see people going off the edge seems to work some I haven't tried it yet but I will you really have to learn the ramp it is tough make sure your trailer is in good shape it will be doing most of the work I have been dropping the boat hard and dragging the boat off the ramp ripped my speedo off last week it looks to me like the flattest spot on the main ramp is about time to use the second ramp which is around 9.5 feet my boat 16.5 double eagle I like this spot because the fishing is so close just have to be careful which is hard to do I went out this morning off the oyster from pacific and turned around due to wind 10:00am didn't set any lines.

Terry

I've buried my jeep a few times launching, but have never ripped me my Speedo!!

the main ramp at kitty is just a paved beach we only have realy only one ramp in the comox valley and thats in comox.We need a proper ramp on the east side of the peninsula the reigonal board do not have any problem spending millions of are money on buying up property for parks but wont put i dime towords somthing that we need

Were going out tomorrow Lorne prob for the late aft/ eve see ya out there.. I got your cell # last time I was out do u text??

I do text. Just ask Owen. I am nursing a whistle stop hangover of epic preportions. Trying to get it together. Id say its a crap shoot

One small 8# to the boat today on the low tide.
Slow for us but saw a couple other small ones.
Bunch of boats out there and good to see other fathers having their day.
Heard a friend lost a slab....LDR

A friend of mine got this one. She said it was her first salmon ever.

522711_10151833089470643_1742586740_n.jpg

Nice fish there JC, is great when a new fisher get's thier first salmon.
Still remember mine oh so many years ago.
Going to try to run out there today if the wind holds off.

Hi all; My wife and I are going to stay at Kitty Coleman for a few nights this week. I am thinking of bringing the boat- 16ft whaler copy, but have never fished that area. I was checking out the regs and it appears to me that that area is closed to retention, but I figured you must be fishing outside of the boundaries of the closed area. I can see on my chart an area close to the shore that is a "hump" (more of two actually) but that appears to be within the boundary. Either you are putting your salmon back in the water or you are fishing in a different place then what I think. I'd love to stay on the lawfull side of the boundary. Can anyone help me out as to exactly where the boundaries are. I am a bit concerned about the launch site a well, I have used Ken Fordes in Campbell River, and I sure hope it is not like that. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hey gungadin welcome to the forum. The closure your concerned about only extends out for app. One and a half miles, wher as the hump is about two and a half miles out. So if your on the hump your good to fish and retain springs. The boundaries extend out from the Kitty boat ramp and down to the ferry slip forming a rectangular closure area. As far as launching goes anything less the ten feet can be a problem, so use your tide guide and you should be fine. Finding the hump should not be a problem, just head straight out and look for the other boats. Also that circle on your chart is the Hump with a smaller one south. Good Luck.;) eman

Well after checking the tides for this week (I used Middlenatch) it appears that the tides are favourable for early morning and evening launches. My partner says we can take the boat, but doesn't promise to make the early morning getups, but if it's calm will come out for the the evening and bring along her book to read. She would prefer to sit around the campfire and drink tea :rolleyes: We are both retired now and it is nice to have a little more leisure time to enjoy this beautiful island.
So I will just head out eastward for about 4 kilometres and look for a hump on my gps. Hopefully a few boats will be out there.

Its been a wile since ive been out.
Fished 4-8
Landed 1 nice one 12 lb. lost a bigger one at the boat.
Lots dogs at the bottom. Caught fish at 70- -100 ft anchovie
Lots of boats for a monday and saw lots of nets in the water.
Good to be out again.

I can't remember the last time I got out. :)
But I keep hearing about the one that got away. Readiing it on here, text messages, phone calls and emails.
So I have decided well you guys work today I am going to go catch them fish you lost. Cause I understand they are real nice fish. :)

Back