Kitty Coleman/Comox area

LouDogII

Hey all,

Has anyone been our recently? I'm planning on a Tuesday tour, weather permitting. Any suggestions: lures, spoons, hoochies or bait?

Either way, I'll post on Tuesday night what I find.

Tight lines
Scooter

P.R. side we have been using purple flasher and army truck glo coyote with a 5 foot leader. Have been doing OK about half fish are undersize and fight off the seals. Fishing 175 and about 10-20 off bottom

Thanks again for the help. Yep, too blowy on Tuesday, got blown in on Wednesday, and Thrusday was improving but not a sniff of fish.

Today, Friday, a couple of friends and myself tried again. Fished for sole around Pt. Holmes, too early I guess, no bites. Then went to Kitty Coleman for a couple of hours. Nothing on the sounder, but fished right on the bottom in +-200' trench around the hump.
Beautiful day, nice water and didn't have to clean any fish.

Boat smells a little like skunk...and crab. Able to get a couple big red rock for the pot. Only female dungeness (back into the water) ready to drop eggs. Heard lots of stories of herring coming in, but didn't wittness that myself, no schools on the sounder and no balls anywhere around.

Oh well, maybe next time home. Good luck all.

Hey, PinchMe, I'll call you tonight, G!

Scooter

Hey Chris: Been out lately? How about you scooter? Giving some serious thought about hitting the hump, weather permitting. eman

Thanks for sharing. You guys help me and others to “just get out there and fish”. I convinced my buds to get the boat wet last Sunday, 2-release and 1-keeper that a seal grabbed by the boat. Saw one other boat out there and it looked like he had the net out a couple of times. It was great break in the weather. Your tips did help put us on fish. I would like to suggest that a fisher should horse it in the last 20 feet, if you want to bring winter spring to the BBQ.

GLG
I hope your boat is not too big ie less than 22ft.
If you are out with a couple of guys and a seal hits your fish, keep tension on and the seal will first sound. Get all th other lines out of the water and get the boat headed in the direction of the seal, do not let him surface and reposition his bite.
Normally they only grab them by the tail to start with. Get above the seal and keep your boat going in tight circles creating noise and bubbles in the water above him. Be ready for him to try and run off in a direction head that way and again get above him. Repeat the circling.
If you keep tension on him and do not let him surface he will release the fish to run for air. We have had a couple even surface 10 to 20 feet from the boat and not release the tail because we have tension on them. Make them sound as quickly as possible again and repeat until you get the fish back.
In case you wonder how well this works, we have had 15 seal hits since January and we have got back 13 one of which was too torn up to keep but all others were keepers or undersize we were able to release and watch swim off. The torn up one and an 18 lber were the only 2 that were not taken directly on the tail and both were hit bottom side near the anal openning.
Even if you dont succeed to begin with the laughs you get from the chase will make it worthwhile.
We have been doing this now for 4 or 5 seasons and our average is steadily increasing on reclaiming fish

Good fun! I can remember doing that in my tin boat as a kid. I didn't have enough power to get on top of them when they made a serious run for air...those ****ers can really move! The seal problem wasn't as bad back then, but still had 3 or 4 incidents each year. Usually managed to get about 1 in every 3 back.
As with everything...practice makes perfect! If you want practice, try fishing the ECVI [V].

Thanks Kisinana for the tip. 19' starcraft with 90 merc. We did try to run him. We were just not that fast. I had good pressure on the line and when he surfaced I could see that it had the fish by the back and with a few head shakes the hooks came out. I checked the hochie and the hooks were bent. Time to buy better hooks. Last year I had a seal and he must have been hooked as it was the biggest fight ever. Finally broke off the stinger and made the top hook look like a L not a J. I did get my gear back. Funny it was the same hochie. It is sad we have to put up with the seals here. My experience is the seal’s get 70 percent. I hope to bring that number down. Last year we skipped Kitty Coleman and went to Browns Bay or the WCVI. Only time I fished here was first week in Sept near the green can in Comox harbor. So many fish the seals must have been full. All in all it was still great fun to be back out on the water. GLG

Back