Kitty Coleman 2014 Reports

FA is right - you won't want to even attempt to launch a large glass boat anywhere other than Comox, Salmon Point or Pacific Playgrounds. Forget all about Kitty Coleman, Bates Beach, Union Bay etc etc.

Hell-- I wont even launch my 20ft tin boat at Kitty.. Even you do get it in the water, you are screwed if the wind comes up. It is possible if the tides are exactly right to safely launch at Union---BUTTTTT you had better have a local along otherwise it wont work.

pretty sad a population of 60000+ and we only have one real boat launch in this valley.We need a launch on the east side of the peninsula. are regional board spends millions of are tax dollars on buying up private land for parks but they wont spend a dime on a launch that would be well used.

Hell-- I wont even launch my 20ft tin boat at Kitty.. Even you do get it in the water, you are screwed if the wind comes up. It is possible if the tides are exactly right to safely launch at Union---BUTTTTT you had better have a local along otherwise it wont work.
When the wind picks up its 2 mins to Kitty. 40 mins to Union Bay. I'd pick Kitty any day over running. But my boat is perfect for Kitty :)

pretty sad a population of 60000+ and we only have one real boat launch in this valley.We need a launch on the east side of the peninsula. are regional board spends millions of are tax dollars on buying up private land for parks but they wont spend a dime on a launch that would be well used.
Would need a large breakwater to make that happen. I kind of like it just the way it is :)

You have three choices. Comox Harbour, pacific playgrounds or salmon point. Unless your campion is a beater then you could try Kitty or Lazo

... the Government really needs to invest more money into improving boat ramps and making them more user friendly, for this ever increasing popular sport

we were almost ready to buy ahouse and move to the comox courtney area, spent a week there looking around and decided no way after checking out the moorage and boat launch situation

Thats all it was.... The ferry corp was never interested in sharing....... BTW-- you guys have forgotten we used to have a ramp at Buckley Bay too.

Absolutely right-- but its as much our fault as the Regional District.. How many of you CV anglers attended a consultation session with the Regional District about the proposed Official Community Plan?? One? Two?? If you had taken the time to attend, you would have been shocked to see that while there was all sorts of stuff that the Regional District is promoting (farm produce, hiking trails, beaches, festivals, kayaking, and on and on....) BUT NOT ONE WORD ABOUT SPORT FISHING.
I took the opportunity to complain to the head planner for the RD about the lack of decent ramps and lack of consideration for fishing and boating in general. Turns out some of her family members are beach fishers, and I hope she will rectify the lack of recognition for what our sports do for the Valley.... but it will not happen if more of you dont at least phone the RD and let them know what you feel.... no-- posting here will not help-- they dont follow Sport Fish BC

I think there still is a ramp at Buckley

yes-- where the Brico used to be-- its fine if you are launching a 12 ft tinny, but its useless for anything else (and its an industrial area-- I know of guys that got boxed in by shellfish vehicles who obviously didnt like boat trailers in the tiny area available for parking)

Actually the Buckley ramp is closed its access is on BC Ferries property and is closed to the public :(

You are right-- the ramp I believe he was referring to ( and I was too) is at the the Fanny Bay wharf... just a mud and shell beach.

In regards to the fanny launch. We launch a 16.5 aluminum there all the time. Shortens the run to tribune for us, as dad lives in union Bay. Never had a problem with being boxed in or tides.

Say what you like about the Union Bay ramp but it is the most forgiving ramp in the Valley when it comes to the lower tides. I agree with FA when you talking about run time to safety, I often prefer to trailer to Kitty rather then launch at Union Bay. I've seen some pretty large boats launch in Union Bay but it's a long time to the Hump or Tribune etc. Just my .02;) eman

Back