Kitimat saltwater

tubber

After looking at Google Earth, and reading posts from Redfox, I'm thinking about a trip to Kitimat. I live in the interior of BC. My boat is too small for WCVI offshore so I usually fish around Sooke, Telegraph or Barkley. The cost of the ferry would almost pay for the extra gas.
How is the saltchuck in early July, Redfox? What about launches, campgrounds, distance to trolling spots? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hey tubber early middle july is awsome the spring are in heavy and so are the halibut. how big is your boat and how long you thinking of coming for. there are lost of good places to camp like radley park or moonbay marina even mkbay marina there are lot of native trap line cabin on the ocean that are welcome to everone aswell like the ones you see in my pics. the best places to trole are about 20 miles down the douglas around hartly bay. and same with halibut if you got a map any shole past hartly bay is good for halibut.any more questions im happy to help look into it more its a great place and one of the best places to fish in the world:) middle of july is the salmon derby and last year i caught 40 in a day not exsadurating either. dubble headers all day:D. get back to me if you need further asistans.;)

Looks like you better check your maps redfox Hartley bay is about 50 miles from Kitimat.

well soorry it doesn't seem that far any way great fishing[8D]

Hey there red fox. - Was out at kitimat last year for a week. Did not do so hot but still had a great time can't wait to get back there this year. We liked it so much that I am going for two weeks and my dad will be there for all of July. We rented an apartment for all of July. But if we could get a cabin out by fish trap for a night or two that would be great. If you know of any thing you can email me @ kdmkyle@hotmail.com keep the pic's going all ready can't sleep at night and got 99 days till am there. LOL

Thanks, Redfox. I'm somewhat familiar with the Hartley Bay/Gill Island area from my days on a seine boat. It would be a long run in an 11' Whaler. Surely the fish going up the Kitimat River must be catchable closer to town. I'm always looking for a new place to try, so I may well go for it. Plus I could camp and fish a lake or river or 2 on the way there.

ya there is a big run in the kitimat and the kildala river and the dala river even if you don't have a boat the river fishing is great to for salmon and chum but if you trole around the mouth of these rivers you do great to:D

Wouldn't catch me running to Hartley in anything under a 20 footer.Its a long run and Douglas can blow up pretty good somedays with no place to hide.

We have fished in the harbour to just down past the native village and done fairly well except when the whales were in. Of course like all fishing timing is important. I can't remember the times we fished except one year Labour Day weekend we limited out. We haven't gone as far as Hartley Bay. Also we have found the people at Home Hardware quite helpful as to what to use and where to go. The launch at Moon Bay is good. The one at MK is my opinion not that great.

Also if your are into river fishing, camp at Radley Park and you are right on the river and can walk to some good fishing spots.

Wouldn't catch me running to Hartley in anything under a 20 footer.Its a long run and Douglas can blow up pretty good somedays with no place to hide.

i do it all the time in a open 14 foot aluminum just take the pasage devestation[8D] it may take a wile some times but i always get there.:)

I would drive right past the turnoff to Kitimat to get to the saltwater at Prince Rupert. There is nothing at Kitimat like it.
River fishing at Kitimat is excellent though, and worth the drive.

hey bell you take a look at my pics i posted last week and tell me theres nothoing like it mabye you should do some resurch before you talk. not taking anything away from rupert but its the same peace of water just a little less rough in the [8D]douglas

Have fished out of both Kitimat and Rupert and would say its a coin toss which one I prefer. Have got salmon out of both, but haven't found a halibut spot out of Rupert. But I have got halibut off the Work Channel and in the Douglas Channel.

I've fished both Rupert and Kitimat they both have there pro's con's.Kitimat the water is a little friendlier but the fish (salmon) aren't always around typical inlet fishing.The advantage of Rupert is there always fresh fish moving in,and the salmon consist of some of the biggest i've seen in my life.Was at Hartley (Kitimat) last year for a week fishing for salmon was good ,but didn't come close to the numbers of 30 40 and even 3 different 50 lbs I witnessed off of Dundas . All within a period of 3 days.

Back