Kispiox King Fishing

Burnblaze

Hey There,

I am new to the forum, just joined today!

Just wondering if anyone here has fished for kings in the Kispiox river, I have never fished the river but know that its famous for steelhead. I mainly want to make a camping and fishing trip there between June 16 and July 31 for kings.

Anyone have any cool experiences there? :D

Hey There,

I am new to the forum, just joined today!

Just wondering if anyone here has fished for kings in the Kispiox river, I have never fished the river but know that its famous for steelhead. I mainly want to make a camping and fishing trip there between June 16 and July 31 for kings.

Anyone have any cool experiences there? :D
No kings in the Kispiox, only Chinooks

I was born and raised on the Kispiox and yes it has lots of fish, with the Bulkley and Skeena right there you have backups if it blows out with rain.

Yes there is descent chinook fishing in the kispo in June and July......I would fish last week of june first week of July! Bait ban so your best bet is pulling plugs with a guide doing a drift or if you know the river hit the nice tank holes with a spoon or a vibrex.....or if there is a nice run you can bottom bounce a spin n glo with some yarn. The skeena will be lights out this year around that time and you might want to just fish the main stem instead of the Kispo. The snow pack is very low so river conditions on the skeena will be very good and bar fishing will probably be very affective for CHINOOKS all summer long. The kispo will be very low and the fish will prolly be pretty skiddish so fishing might be spotty. Grab a beer and a lawn chair and hit the main stem skeena, You will probably do much better.

cheers,

wooly

Yes there is descent chinook fishing in the kispo in June and July......I would fish last week of june first week of July! Bait ban so your best bet is pulling plugs with a guide doing a drift or if you know the river hit the nice tank holes with a spoon or a vibrex.....or if there is a nice run you can bottom bounce a spin n glo with some yarn. The skeena will be lights out this year around that time and you might want to just fish the main stem instead of the Kispo. The snow pack is very low so river conditions on the skeena will be very good and bar fishing will probably be very affective for CHINOOKS all summer long. The kispo will be very low and the fish will prolly be pretty skiddish so fishing might be spotty. Grab a beer and a lawn chair and hit the main stem skeena, You will probably do much better.

cheers,

wooly

I was thinking about it last night, I might go back to the cranberry again. I had decent luck there last time, and it's in the vicinity of other spots I want to check out if I need back up.

Thanks for all the answers and advice ! :)

Low snow-pack---really??? Pacific NW had major snow this year everywhere. Why did Skeena country miss out?

Low snow-pack---really??? Pacific NW had major snow this year everywhere. Why did Skeena country miss out?

Snow pack was minimal in PNW this year.....Kitimat, Terrace, rupert, smithers. My friend mowed his lawn in January this year which was the firs time he has ever done that in 40 years of living in kitimat!. There were heavy snow falls at times but mild temps melted everything right away. as for the mountains, my friends couldnt even snowmobile much this year because of lack of snow. Im not sure on the exact stats with snow pack, and where the stats r measured, but it was much less then the norm. In the valleys my guess would be some of the lowest levels on record.

cheers,

wooly

As for the pulling plugs with a guide bit while I haven't read the regs in years for there are you sure you're allowed to fish out of a boat?

As for the pulling plugs with a guide bit while I haven't read the regs in years for there are you sure you're allowed to fish out of a boat?

sure you can as long as you don't get caught ;-)
Good question? its been years since I have fished it since I transitioned to salt water. I'm not familliar with the regs these days. I have a old contact that floats row and fishes out of a boat all the time in the kispiox but hes FN so I wouldnt try it till you get the regs lol.

You could also fish the kitimat at that time of year. It does blowout as well but takes a bit longer to blowout and as wooly mentioned, they had some huge snow days in Kitimat this year but it was short lived. Their are some great guides on the kitimat or walk into the various spots along the river. If you end up going up north and plan on fishing the Kitimat you can PM me and I will give you a could spots to try.

Good luck

Back