killer whale vs. gray whale

spring time

go check out msn.com and on the left side middle there a video of a pod of killer whales taking on an mother and a calf grey whale

Interesting! That was a lucky pair of greys there. Whew, bet they were happy when the orcas decided to pack it in.

2hrs. What an ordeal.

quote:good post, glad to see the black and whites give up

Why?? To them its dinner. [?]

Brings back memories of misguided people on Saltspring Is. throwing rocks at the orcas that had a minke cornered at the head of the bay .

In nature dinner does not come wrapped in cellophane.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Saw a nature documentary this year that had a segment on orcas chasing down a calf, took hours, finally separated it from mum and then got it. Sadly, only ate the head and left the rest...I guess too big to tear apart? But that's nature. Wish I could remember name of the documentary.

Cuba: your story reminds me of a friend who worked on a whale watching boat in Tofino. Everyone having their lovely back to nature moment enjoying the peaceful majestic creatures...until the pack of transients start playing volleyball with a cute seal, then tear it to pieces right in front of the crowd, with a pool of blood and intestines trailing from their smiling mouths. People were crying, some puking. You have to laugh....did they think these things are vegetarians? KILLER whales!

[:eek:)]

Ya-- by our standards Ol Ma Nature can be a real *****!! About 8 years ago, a good 'Mercan friend of mine was fishing salmon outside of the Golden Gate Bridge (before the collapse of the Sacramento "king" runs). They were fishing the bait stacks which attracted a lot of salmon, sealions and fishermen. He was jigging about 70 ft from a party boat when all of a sudden a sealion breached right in front of him. Right on its tail was a BIG great white. The shark nailed the lion and proceeded to shake it to pieces. He got splattered by the lions blood as he was frantically reversing his Whaler to get out of the kill zone.

The whole attack with his boat in the frames and subsequent feeding was filmed by a fishermen on the party boat. It made the National news in the States!!!!

he said he had to do a MAJOR body wash and change of shorts!! [:0]

Ya-- Old Ma Nature can be brutal...[:I]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Anybody have the direct link to the video?

I have searched around and can't find it?

As for the "horror" [:p] viewed in Tofino and in Ganges....people just really are clueless to what happens. I remember that footage from Saltspring a few years back with kids crying....people screaming....[:0] ;)

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

Saw a nature documentary this year that had a segment on orcas chasing down a calf, took hours, finally separated it from mum and then got it. Sadly, only ate the head and left the rest...I guess too big to tear apart? But that's nature. Wish I could remember name of the documentary.

Cuba: your story reminds me of a friend who worked on a whale watching boat in Tofino. Everyone having their lovely back to nature moment enjoying the peaceful majestic creatures...until the pack of transients start playing volleyball with a cute seal, then tear it to pieces right in front of the crowd, with a pool of blood and intestines trailing from their smiling mouths. People were crying, some puking. You have to laugh....did they think these things are vegetarians? KILLER whales!

[:eek:)]
Cuba......... i had a similar experience as your friends in the early 90's. We were cut plugging 40 to 50 ft off a rock for big Springs and had an Orca use our boat as a screen, including diving while rotating it's dorsal fin away from the boat and plucking a small seal right off the edge of said rock right in front of us! [:0]
I was hard not to snicker a little watching that seal being used a badminton birdie off those powerful tails as that seal had been successful on 1 of 2 attempts at stealing our fish. [xx(]

Spring Time

you wrote 'also the killer whales will eat a great white shark'

Now that would be a video worth watching! [}:)][:p][8D]

Kinda like mother nature's version of superweight Xtreme Bodog cage Warz.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Back