Kicker Shifting Problem

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I took my 15 hp merc. out and it shifted into forward, but would not shift back to neutral.
I drained lower unit and oil looked good and no metal fragments on the magnet drain plug.
I then poped off the shifting arm and tested the tiller cable system and it moved freely through
forward, neutral, and reverse. I then put a wrench on the shifter nut and was able to get it into
neutral. So I popped the shifting linkage back on and now it's stuck in neutral. I'm not sure what
I should do next or what the problem is?

Curious if a new water pump was put in recently?
On my 9.9 Yamaha high thrust when you connect the shift rod back together you need to make sure you push down firmly on the lower part of the shift rod other wise it won't shift properly.

Not sure if this helps or makes sense to you.

Sounds like the linkage from the shifter to the gearcase has gotten stiff...you would have more leverage on the wrench to make it move. Maybe salt build up has it mostly jammed? Might pay to plan a water pump impeller and drop the leg and then see if your tiller frees up or not, without the leg in place. If it doesn't then the connection from up top to the leg is jammed up. Not a Merc guy but some things cross brands..salt screws with them all.

Sounds like the linkage from the shifter to the gearcase has gotten stiff...you would have more leverage on the wrench to make it move. Maybe salt build up has it mostly jammed? Might pay to plan a water pump impeller and drop the leg and then see if your tiller frees up or not, without the leg in place. If it doesn't then the connection from up top to the leg is jammed up.
Good advice Profisher, I will look at droping the leg tomorrow. This is uncharted territory for me, I will need a seal/impellar kit,
any advice/tips on removal and replacing the lower unit would be appriciated. For removal, I belive there are 3 bolts and then
how do I seperate the lower unit, I'm thinking a rubber mallet and a prayer. LOL

Google a video for your year and model..someone may have posted their gearcase removal. Most smaller motors come apart fairly easy...the only thing that can hang up is the driveshaft into the coupler in the crank. Good to grease the upper driveshaft splines. I put marine grade never seize on all the bolts before reassembly...so they are easy to spin out the next time.

I broke a bolt off with a small spanner trying to drop the leg on my Honda 15 once. I had to find a shop to do the electrozapper to blast the hole clean. Be careful if it hasn't been off for a while.

I had a similar issue on my Honda 8hp. I tried shifting forward-neutral-reverse without the motor running and it wouldn't shift into reverse. Once I turned it on it was shifting no problem. Not sure if this helps, just my experience.

My kicker shifted into forward on the water while running, and that was the last shift. It's a low hours, older motor
that runs great. I have very little mechanical experience, I'm sure I could drop the leg to figure out if the stiffness
is in the linkage or not. After that I'm not sure what to do.

1. Could it be as simple as your throttle was somewhat still open and the gear shift blocked from going back into neutral?? At home you turned throttle back and gear shift thus works.
2. No big deal dropping bottom, unbolting top from bottom shift rod at join, tapping with rubber mallet to release. Good time to put in a new impeller. Lots of kits available on line. How to videos on line as well.

1. Could it be as simple as your throttle was somewhat still open and the gear shift blocked from going back into neutral?? At home you turned throttle back and gear shift thus works.
2. No big deal dropping bottom, unbolting top from bottom shift rod at join, tapping with rubber mallet to release
I dropped the lower unit and the tiller still will not go into neutral, must be a problem where the upper shaft that connects to the rod from the lower unit, (the brass rod you can put a wrench on to manualy shift}. Everything else moves, I don't have a manual and was wondering what I can do, the cam side that hooks up with the vertical rod has grease and the other end doesn't, can I spray WD40 on the dry side? Or does the shaft need to be removed and lubricated.

Back