Kicker Motor purchase in the US

King_Cod

I am in the market for a used or new kicker motor and I am heading down the coast to San Fransisco. Does anyone know of any good places to look on the way? Any recommended shops? Is it worth picking up a motor across the border?

Reel Chaos

it was when I picked up my 150 yamaha.I saved at least $7000 if you buy in oregon you don't pay any sales tax. where as washington has 8%. just google what ever brand you want and look at find a dealer,and give them a call. then when you get to the border you just declare it. and go pay your money that's it

You dont have to pay the Wa tax if you declare it for export. Furthere, if you get a Yamaha there is a good chance that the warrenty is void when you bring it home to Canada!![xx(]

Mercury DOES let the warrenty carry across the border. Be sure you check this out!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

it doesn't void the warranty all you have to do is take it to the states for warranty. but I got six years compared to three up here. and if a nexus card its no big deal

The warranty issue can be difficult. A frind of mine bought a new Campion in Oregon, when the hull had issues he took it to a Parksville Campion dealer and they wouldn't help him even though Campion it self said there would be no problem with the warrenty as long as it was done by a autherized Canadian Campion dealer which this shop in Parksville is.

As for the Mercury motor he registered it when he got home. So it is registered as a Canadian Motor. I just hope if or when he has a problem the Mercury the dealer here in town won't give him the run around like the Campion Dealer in Parksville.

I do understand that Yamaha and Honda will not warrenty US motors in Canada. I looked into Yamaha when I was going to buy my kicker. I came to the understanding of costs when I would need to have warrenty work done that from the Island to Washington or Oregon would cost me $$$. I bought from a local island dealer just to save the headache. They did their best with the price. I shoped all around and got the best price when paying cash. Saved almost $800 from the first quote I got, by shopping around and using cash. Dealers pay 3% when you use credit.

Good luck,

if you purchace a import, you may have to pay duty on the item.
stick with a north american manufacturer and there shouldnt be a problem with warranties or duties.

nope had a declaration for yamaha usa and the customs agreed so no duty on my motor. the girl converted it form us to canadian dollars and payed taxed on the differnce

Unfortunately I did not. Checked out a couple of marine places on the Oregon coast but they did not have what I was looking for in stock. Plus my wife loaded the car with all her shopping goodies which took up all the room for my kicker.

I will have to take my truck next time :)

Reel Chaos

Back