Kelsey Bay - 3rd Annual "Tour de Rock" Fishing Derby

Rod

Hello Fishermen!

This year's date has been set for the one and only "Tour de Rock" Fishing Derby. It will be on Saturday, August 25th, 2012 here at Kelsey Bay (Sayward). We have had
tremendous success in our first two years with over 100 fishermen in attendance each year. The fee is only $25.00 to register ($20.00 if you register before Canada Day) and
100% of the money goes towards Cops for Cancer Camp Goodtimes.

Please check out our website at www.saywardfishingderby.webs.com for all the details. Great prizes, great fishing, and the money goes towards a great cause, kids who are battling cancer.

Thank you and we hope to see you this year in Sayward for the 3rd Annual "Tour de Rock" Fishing derby!

Sayward "Tour de Rock" Committee

Hey Rod, fished out of the country for years and we were looking forward to fishing there again. I'll run it by my fishing partner, as she has never fished that area yet...Aug 25th.

Is the only ramp access still past the old dry land sort and is there any ramp fees?

Thanks for posting the info on the derby.

Oh yeah, I just remembered...an old cod fisherman told me that if you ever see a mushroom shape cloud form over the townsite and into the valley (looking from the water back to shore) to get off the water right away as the wind starts to scream right after the cloud forms. Sure enough, back in the mid 90's I saw this mushroom cloud over the townsite/valley and took my time about picking up my gear and heading back towards the harbour ( I wasn't quite believing the old cod fisherman).

I was running a 1974, Rienell 24 footer and I tell you, Rod, the wind absolutely howled westerly, I was taking a pretty good pounding heading back in to the harbour. The next time I saw that mushroom shaped cloud form, I heeded the ole fella warning and got off the water right away. I have always had a good deal of respect for that place ever since.

Yes the winds can pick up here but they usually are pretty good to us fishermen in August here. The ramp is still in behind the log sort.

Ramp fees are by donation. There is a box at the ramp. Funds go to the Sayward Fish and Game.

Thanks for the comeback Rod and Bows Up.

Sorry, didn't mean to scare off anybody from the fishing the area. In fact, at that time of the year the fish school up right in front of the waterfront there on the ebb tide, can be awesome salmon fishing!!

Prizes?

Anyone have ideas about how to get some good prizes for our derby? We'd like to get some good prizes this year such as prawn pullers, good reels, etc. Anyone have any connections with some companies out there that might want to support our "Tour de Rock" Derby? If so, have them email myself at rodpick@hotmail.com

Thanks and hope to see you in Sayward on August 25th.

Three more weeks for the early draw! Remember, if you register before July 1 the fee is only $20.00 per person. After July 1st, it goes up to $25 per person!

Hope to see you in Sayward on August 25th, 2012!!!

Back