Kelsey Bay

My Gal and I made a trip up island to the Sayward/Kelsey Bay for 4 days. It was blowing hard last Thur, Fri, but we got out for part of the day on Sat. We only bottom fished for some cod and picked up a nice ling and red snapper... no hallies though.

Sunday blew up again, one local boat took off fishing for the day and made a trip around Hardwicke Island and one boat fishing in front of the pier with no results that we saw. Local folks were fishing right off the pier for salmon with some pinks being landed.

Monday the winds were down in the morning, but my gal was not into fishing so we left by noon, stopped at a Roberts Lake, took the boat across the lake to enjoy the beach without the gale force winds. Yup, used sunscreen everywhere except the top of my feet... sunburnt those puppies real good.

I had great expectations to fish hard and scout out the area that I fished in the 90's, but the weather had other ideas. It worked out OK though as it forced us to relax and check out Sayward/Kelsey Bay instead. Met some nice folks from our home town.

We stayed at Kelsey Bay RV Campground run by Dan and Linda Fear, nice folks. Dan went out of his way to help everyone out even driving folks to the Show and Shine event back out by the highway. There is only 6 sites available, all of them on the waterfront so reserving a spot would be a good idea. There is a enclosed building on the pier to play cards or socialize with other folks that was a godsend to get out of the wind.

There is a ramp at the campground and one past the dry land sort that is managed by the local Fish and Game club and a donation box to help pay for improvements.

We had a blast watching the logging trucks bringing loads to be sorted by front-end loaders, a grapple yarder, a machine to wrap cable around the bundles, scalers were doing the measuring, fellas bucking logs into different lengths, and boom boats building booms. The tug Shaymar and another tug had to wait a day for the weather to settle down and the right part of the tide to pull out a massive boom. The tides out front run 3-6 knots so timing was everything.

There is the municipal docks as well to tie up your boat to, but an inside spot would be a good idea as the waves were rocking the outside vessels pretty good.

There is also the fishing derby in August to raise money for the Tour de Rock... I think it is 24-25th, but best to check on the dates yourself. We bought ice cream back at the highway junction and tickets for a raffle that also was raising funds for the Tour de Rock.

Good time all in all, will try to make it an annual trip!!

Back