The 2017 Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament & the 2017 KMC Derby

profisher

We are happy to announce that tickets for both the 2017 Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament and the 2017 Kiss My Chinook Derby will be available for sale starting at the Victoria Boat Show. (Feb 17th to 19th) Tickets for the Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament will be $150.00 per rod this year with no requirement of buying a membership with SVIAC. We hope this will attract more folks from out of town and will help us sell the event out to maximize the funds we need for our local salmon enhancement projects. There will once again be 500 tickets available and those who held tickets in 2016 are guaranteed their ticket up until June 1st, 2017. The tournament goes on Saturday and Sunday August 12th and 13th. $20,000.00 cash is the top prize and we expect to have over $100.000.00 in prizes available again in 22017.

The Kiss My Chinook derby tickets will also be available at the Victoria Boat Show. The derby is set for Saturday June 17th, the day before Father's Day. Pedder Bay Marina and RV Park will once again be the official weigh station. Tickets will sell for $80.00 per rod and will include your SVIAC membership. If you already have your current and valid SVIAC membership at the time of your KMC ticket purchase the ticket will cost you $40.00 instead of $80.00. There will be 300 tickets available and there will be some very nice prizes up for grabs.

The organizers of the derby have been approached by DFO to do a 100% creel survey of all those fishing in the KMC Derby. Catch record cards will be issued and collected. In return DFI will not fly over the area counting boats in our area that day and will not conduct dockside interviews. The count from the derby will be accepted as an accurate creel of the area for that day. There will be a very nice prize offered by draw for all those who participate.

If you purchase both Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament and Kiss My Chinook Derby tickets at the Victoria Boat Show we will cover your cost to attend the show that day. Simply bring your door ticket receipt to our booth, buy your tickets and we will refund you the price of admission to the show.

We hope that all those who have supported the efforts of SVIAC who work tirelessly on behalf of anglers who fish the south Island, will continue to do so. Removing the requirement for a membership or paying a higher ticket price for the Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament does come with some risk for the coalition. The tournament has helped us drive memberships to roughly 700 paid members. Those funds are used to support lobbying efforts on your behalf. This includes a seat and a vote at the IPHC annual meetings. The coalition also continues to fight for better access to Chinook during the early summer.
We haven't finished updating the JDF Tournament website completely yet but it should be 100% up to date by the Victoria Boat Show dates.
Info at: www.jdfderby.ca & www.anglerscoalition.com

We hope to see everyone down at the Victoria Boat Show. If you are planning to participate in either the Kiss My Chinook Derby or the Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament or if your SVIAC membership has expired it is the perfect time to get tickets or renew memberships. The only public venue where you can use a credit card for your purchases. You can also get the latest info from the SVIAC directors and derby organizers. Come say hi.

I wanted to thank and recognize a few new sponsors of the tournament for 2017. It is still early and I'm expecting quite a few new sponsors this year after reaching out and having good conversations with many manufacturers reps in the past few weeks. Of those I have received confirmation from SOG Knives who have already sent me about $400.00 worth of their very nice fillet, fixed blade, folding blade knives and a stainless multi tool kit. Seastar Solutions in Vancouver has committed to a hydraulic steering system worth a minimum of $1000.00 US. Rocky Mountain Recreation Co has stepped up in a big way as well. They dropped off a Hummingbird Helix 7 sounder GPS unit, 2 Cannon Mag 10 downriggers and a 7 foot one piece St Croix Triumph halibut rod for a total of about $2350.00 in value. I expect to hear back from another half dozen companies who showed genuine interest in supporting this event and our salmon enhancement efforts. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Tournament tickets are now available at Trotac Marine, Island Outfitters and Home Hardware in Sidney. They will be available at both Alpine Marine and Eagle Eye Outfitters by Friday.

Back